PDA

View Full Version : Need help with lances vs vamp counts

Bladelord
25-12-2009, 19:35
My noble bretonnian lances struggle alot vs Vampire Counts. Usually when I field the Bretons Ill have 4-6 lances & some skirmish bowmen. It usually works quite well but every time Im meeting Vamps my opponent will massacre me.:( Btw Im not using Grail knights because of the theme on the list.

Toads77
25-12-2009, 21:29
Your lances are 6packs right? (6 man big) how many knights of what? are they all realm, errant, any questing? How much magic defense, what characters are you using? Pegaus are good at killing his light stuff and get that extra +2 res for rear charges.

The best advice I can give you is stay away from the vampire lord unless you can isolate his unit and hit him with a few lances, kill him by combat resolution. Humans in general don't have a chance fighting toe to toe in a character fight versus a vampire.

Always use multiple lances when charging undead, you must be sure that you can break through on the first round otherwise you've lost.

Bladelord
25-12-2009, 22:37
9 man big lances I use. 1 units of errants with errantry banner. 2/3 realms 1 with Warbanner normally BSB joins this unit. 0/1 Questing, 0/1 Pegasi.
BSB with virtue of Duty and a magical banner/equipment. 2 lvl.2 Damsels, 1 with Chalice of Malfleur. Paladin with Cuirass of Fortune+Virtue of the Joust. & a Lord on warhorse. Maybe I should try to put in a unit of mounted yeomen or two..

Last time I played against vamps it was 1999pts so no lords. My questing got tied up with a unit of ghouls, got flank charged by graveguard but I flank charged myself with pegasus knights but in return they got rear charged by a unit of dire bats:P. I whiped out all of these 3 units in the last turn but unfortunately he won quite big because of the rest of my army was totally destroyed while his wasnt.

nick_robinsonchia
26-12-2009, 00:13
Lately when I've been running my brets I put alot of the focus on errant questing and Grail knights. Purely because of the psychological reasons. IMO errant are much superior than realm vs VC because they are ITP on the charge. I am currently running 7 KE 1 realm for core purely because the big boys (VC, Demons and DE) have alot if not all of there troops fear/terror causing. Specials are hard too - personally I like questing knights alot especially in this era of WFB as strength 5 all the time is really good at sustaining a good kill rate in combat if something doesn't disintergrate on the charge. Pegs however are good competition as someone else mentioned their presence will help negate annoyance units and bonuses for flank/rear and kills when you need to make sure of something. I run all my units 6 strong give or take a a knight depending on character placement.

Gluck

N

Falkman
26-12-2009, 09:26
Last time I played against vamps it was 1999pts so no lords. My questing got tied up with a unit of ghouls, got flank charged by graveguard but I flank charged myself with pegasus knights but in return they got rear charged by a unit of dire bats:P. I whiped out all of these 3 units in the last turn but unfortunately he won quite big because of the rest of my army was totally destroyed while his wasnt.
This wasn't by any chance at Masmassakern?
Cause it sounds exactly like a game I had there with my VC :p

PeG
26-12-2009, 10:34
at 1999 points his general has 2 wounds and not to much protective items. If you can hit him with a lance of peg knights potentially with a character in them you should be able to take him out which usually means game over for VC. If your pegs win combat or not isnt important if they are able to kill the VC general so dont hesitate to front charge him.

Bladelord
26-12-2009, 12:51
Ye it was at masmassakern:D

fubukii
26-12-2009, 13:00
try stacking up on static cr and the banner of the lady

Warbanner virtue of duty etc, and negating his rank bonus should lay down a hurt on his ranked units. Dual charging hurts too

Malorian
26-12-2009, 15:38
First of all forget about putting all those points into magic as you really arent going to get anything done.

Just take a lvl 1 scroll caddie to stop vanhels and leave it at that.

The trick is to multi-charge units (even 3 into 1) and then either bog down or block the rest, so pick one flank and make it your target and hit it with the majority of your army, then use 1-2 lances to hold off the rest.

Bladelord
26-12-2009, 19:33
What about zombies getting raised infront of the units? its so damn annoying...

AussieSocks
27-12-2009, 13:34
lol, if he hasn't committed anything, just back the knights up and kill the zombies with archers/ pegasus knights.

Minor victory due to zombie sniping would be awesome to watch.

Put it this way dude, this is your toughest matchup so if you win, give yourself a pat on the back.

Otherwise, take lots of peg knights and hunt dogs or bats. Don't try to win Big.

w3rm
28-12-2009, 00:07
I agree with Aussie. Just kill his raised units fairly easily and get a minor victory. Dont engage him unless you can win and not put yourself in a bad position. You (should) faster than him unless he goes magic crazy with Vanhels. Pick you fights and multi-charge. Take out dogs and lone chars with peggies.