PDA

View Full Version : Lore of Metal

TAW
26-12-2009, 10:06
Ok a friend argued that his character that was solo on his flank wouldn't be effected by spirit of the forge cause it targets 2d6 models in a unit. Now I said that the unit was his Hero and that he would then take 2d6 hit's against said character. Who's right?

danny-d-b
26-12-2009, 10:14
I think this was FAQd/errarted to 2d6 hits, check the GW website?

PeG
26-12-2009, 10:22
correct 2D6 hits. The character gets fried.

danny-d-b
26-12-2009, 10:28
yep got the bit you need

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470856_Warhammer_FAQ_2008-02_Edition.pdf

Page 113. In the ‘Spirit of the Forge’ spell, the last sentence will be changed in reprints to the following: ‘The effects of this spell are exactly the same as the Rule of Burning Iron described above, except the unit takes 2D6 hits distributed like shooting.’

Necromancy Black
26-12-2009, 11:58
Erreta'd, meaning the official wording has changed. 2d6 hits. Hell, get a new Rulebook and it should have the new wording.

narrativium
26-12-2009, 13:26
Even if it only affected 2D6 models rather than inflicting 2D6 hits, the character would have been affected by one of those hits - he would not have been immune. So either way your opponent would have been wrong.

Dareus
26-12-2009, 14:17
To be honest I really don't see the reason why this should be 2d6 HITS. This spell is supposed to heat the armours of the target unit. The original wording would really be more fitting simulating this effect. As it would effect that number of warriors armour. One characters armour getting heated and cooled down 2d6 times seems odd... or whatever effect this should stand for.

nosferatu1001
26-12-2009, 14:31
It is hits because "models" made the spell very bad against small, elite units...

Yellow Commissar
26-12-2009, 15:06
Yes, the spells text has been changed. The character can not be targetted by the spell. The spell targets the unit. If you had played it with the old wording, it would be difficult to say how to do it correctly. I think the character could only have been allocated one hit.

Dareus
26-12-2009, 15:12
It is hits because "models" made the spell very bad against small, elite units...

Well, then maybe one should make fireball St6, with St4 it is not so good against targets with high toughness :p.

sorberec
26-12-2009, 16:57
Erreta'd, meaning the official wording has changed. 2d6 hits. Hell, get a new Rulebook and it should have the new wording.

Unfortunately not - the Battle for Skull Pass book I got from ebay appears to have all the errata from the first FAQ & Errata in it but the hardback rulebook a friend of mine bought this year was still the plain old un-errata'ed version - which led to a minor disagreement when I used Spirit of the Forge for the first time on him...

Personally I thought it was quite poor of GW to be selling the hardback BRB this year without at the least having an errata sheet with it.

Harwammer
26-12-2009, 17:20
it would be nice if stores were asked to hand out relevant errata sheets with every rule book purchased. It wouldn't take much effort to print it off from the store computer / make a photo copy, would it?

theunwantedbeing
26-12-2009, 18:52
it would be nice if stores were asked to hand out relevant errata sheets with every rule book purchased. It wouldn't take much effort to print it off from the store computer / make a photo copy, would it?

Would take even less effort for the staff to simply state that there is an online Errata available for download for free on the games workshop website :P

The only time this has come up recently for me was against a newer WoC gamer I was playing for the first time, so I was more than happy to let him have his "it only hits 2d6 models" way instead of easily melting his entire unit of Chaos Knights with the 9 hits I had just rolled.
Of course if it comes up again we're playing that it does 2d6 hits but so far it hasnt.

tarrasque
26-12-2009, 22:27
Unfortunately not - the Battle for Skull Pass book I got from ebay appears to have all the errata from the first FAQ & Errata in it but the hardback rulebook a friend of mine bought this year was still the plain old un-errata'ed version - which led to a minor disagreement when I used Spirit of the Forge for the first time on him...

Personally I thought it was quite poor of GW to be selling the hardback BRB this year without at the least having an errata sheet with it.

mby the book is older and the gw store doesn't sell taht many brbs could also explain some of the question ask on this forum. nobody has it

Lord Dan
26-12-2009, 23:01

Tell that to my 12-man chaos warrior units.

enyoss
28-12-2009, 00:07

And Treemen.

Now you can just stand back and watch the bugger burn.

kyussinchains
28-12-2009, 10:18

in both 4th edition and 6th edition, the changes/errata were actually incorporated into the dark elf army books and new editions were printed.... I also remember buying my 4th edition dark elf book and it coming with a printed A4 errata sheet..... this must have been a horrific logistical nightmare for GW as they haven't lifted a finger in this way since..... ;)

edit: I've always been an advocate of publishing the rules online and releasing email updates about modifications to the rules, they do it with computer software easily enough, they could simply incorporate the latest errata sheet into the online rules and everybody would be happy......

sorberec
28-12-2009, 22:03
in both 4th edition and 6th edition, the changes/errata were actually incorporated into the dark elf army books and new editions were printed.... I also remember buying my 4th edition dark elf book and it coming with a printed A4 errata sheet..... this must have been a horrific logistical nightmare for GW as they haven't lifted a finger in this way since..... ;)

edit: I've always been an advocate of publishing the rules online and releasing email updates about modifications to the rules, they do it with computer software easily enough, they could simply incorporate the latest errata sheet into the online rules and everybody would be happy......

Unfortunately that only works if everyone who plays the game has 'net access and regularly checks their email. The latter part of that would immediately count out one of the guys I play with regularly.