PDA

View Full Version : Grenade Launchers-Yes or No

polymphus
31-01-2006, 04:39
Hello to everyone reading!
Anyways I've recently come back to 40K from playing WFB for a year or two and I have been discovering some things that my 2000pts of Necrons never allowed me to discover. One of the most interesting is definatly the grenade launcher. Sure it doesn't have as much power as a missile launcher but it can move and fire. In a recent game (my first 40K game in a long time) almost every casulty I caused was caused by a grenade launcher! Is this normal? What is your opinion on the humble grenade launcher?
Cheers
Poly

Aquila
31-01-2006, 04:45
We are talking about Imperial Guard, right?

In that case, probably my favorite Infantry Squad setup is the heavy bolter + grenade launcher. It's built to gun down troops with medium armor at long range. It's cheap, and it's effective.

Your only other real option is Plasma Guns. Flamers and Meltas can be alot of fun but you usually only take them on squads that you intend to throw towards the enemy - Armored Fists and suicide squads (speedbumps). You don't want them on your main line, they're just too short ranged.

My rule has always been to match Grenade Launchers with Heavy Bolters and Plasma Guns with Missiles or Lascannons. You'll want a mix of both so that you can deal with a variety of targets.

ReDavide
31-01-2006, 04:53
My favorite command squad setup is to give it 4 grenade launchers and go rhino-hunting. They're very handy weapons to have around.

Tyra_Nid
31-01-2006, 04:59
Yep, I use grenade launchers too- although with a missle launcher/grenade launcher combo. This allows for a flexible combination of AT/Medium/Light Infantry firepower in choosing between frag and krak.

DraXaus
31-01-2006, 06:09
Yeah, that missile/grenade launcher combo is great aganst all types of units. Not only that, but you can use a standerd 28mm base for the missile launcher, and have him be able to walk through narrow areas. Vary useful in cityfights.

G8Keeper
31-01-2006, 10:14
I always found (in my limited number of games) that the Grenade Launcher was very very good at causing wounds but anything with a 3+ save was safe. You need to take them in abundance to hurt heavy Infantry like this but they do indeed work well as light transport and Medium infantry killers. Try it against a scout or Carapace guard army hehe.

Jellicoe
31-01-2006, 10:16
The grenade launcher is the weapon of choice for my guard squads. The range and extra strength is always handy and even the humble frag shot has proved to be of use against big bug swarms. Plasma tech, whilst being shooty death tends in my experience to lead to rapid plasma death for the gunner. In power armour, worth it, in flak armour, oh dear!

Meltas are reserved for armoured fists and a total of 3 in my veteran unit for chimera drive by hot fusion carnage. Generally make their points each time if used for elimination of a key target such as a landraider or tooled daemon prince.

But for the grunts, go grenades

TWB
31-01-2006, 10:41
I only use Greande launchers, they have two ammo types meaning your'e seldom without a viable target and they fit witht he low-tech Imperial guard dynamic, I don't use flamers, just because they are generally the dot at the bottom of the exclamation mark that signals the squad's demise. The Grenade Launcher has the Reach and the Range.

Str10_hurts
31-01-2006, 10:56
Heavybolter genadelauncher set up is great! and moving into woods and blowing up a landspeeder tornado hiding at the other side is golden!

'What? That is more than 12''.'
'yeah.'
'But you moved this turn.'
'Oh baby... you gotta love grenade launchers.'
'Eh?'

Colonial Rifle
31-01-2006, 10:57
I used to think they were appalling, but I've changed my mind about them recently. My 'meat and potatoes' platoon have Las-cannon/Plasma guns (for when you HAVE to take down rampaging Carnifexs or Deepstriking terminators), but my second platoon uses GL to complement their ML. Fairly cheap and do wonders when your not facing MEQs.

Wolf Lord Duregar
31-01-2006, 11:18
They´re okay against most stuff except Marines... Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar etc. all have good targets for Grenade Launchers but if you face loads of MEQs you´re probably better of with more plasma gunz...:skull:I don´t like them, a plasma gun is just another 2p and usually far, far better for me.

Escaflowne_Z
31-01-2006, 11:47
If you're looking to create a fluffy army that's not essentially a Mechanicus PDF, etc. then fewer plasma guns is a good thing. Plasma weapons are supposed to be the rarest type of weapon in the game for the Imperium. In addition, sharpshooters doesn't work on ye ole' plasma, so I'd rather just have a melta or grenade launcher.

Anvils Hammer
31-01-2006, 13:46
im of difffering opinion, GL's are utterly rubbish.
single shot that only hits half the time
not stronge enough to REALLY damage vehicles
not low enough AP to hurt big things and MeQ's

why woudl you take one when for a mere 2points extra, 10 instead of 8, you can have a plasma gun that is AP2, strenght 7, with a potential to fire two shots, sure its dangerous and short range, but a marine assault squad will think twice before charging you, i cant say the same for grenade lanchers.

missile launchers and grenade launchers are the ultimate " jack of all trades, master of none" weapons. sort of good against both infantry and tanks, but not particularly good at anything.
instead of 2 grenade launcehers, take a plasma gun and a flamer for the same points cost.
instead of two missile launchers, take a lascannon and a heavy bolter for the same points costs.

just my opinion.

cookiescrumble
31-01-2006, 13:56
I would agree that grenade launchers are good weapons. They are cheap and cheerful and very good against light infantry and light vehicles.

TWB
31-01-2006, 14:32
why woudl you take one when for a mere 2points extra, 10 instead of 8, you can have a plasma gun that is AP2, strenght 7, with a potential to fire two shots

Because in the space of a game you're very likely to throw away those 10 points when your plasmagunner gets cooked :D.

The 24" assault part of it IS priceless, it's not going to swing a battle, but it can knock the smug look off your opponant's face when your first platoon advances on turn 1

ArtificerArmour
31-01-2006, 15:00
Grenade launchers are flexable and cheap. My favourite use for them is when you have an independant character stood all on their own. of course, when you choose a krak it usually always misses, but that one time it does hit...instakilled ethereal.

Wolf Lord Duregar
31-01-2006, 15:14
If you're looking to create a fluffy army that's not essentially a Mechanicus PDF, etc. then fewer plasma guns is a good thing. Plasma weapons are supposed to be the rarest type of weapon in the game for the Imperium. In addition, sharpshooters doesn't work on ye ole' plasma, so I'd rather just have a melta or grenade launcher.And so are Space Marines, go figure...:rolleyes:

Hlokk
31-01-2006, 15:48
G/launchers are fantastic in basic infantry squads, i use them and m/l or autocannons in 3/4 infatry platoons.

jfrazell
31-01-2006, 16:15
Grenades are advantageous in having some ability against both horde and MEQ, as well as the assault option. If you intend to move your troops around, they are a valid option, as well as being a nice counterpart to a heavy weapon due to its longer range. I would prefer them out of hand over flame units in normal troop squads (preferrign those in my command squads), but I'd have a preference for a melta or plasma over it as most of my opponents are highly mobile and highly armored.

However, this impact is mitigated as its AP is sub-par and hits can be mitigated by a decent opponent, who is already likely spread out to avoid ordnance casualties.

Chris
31-01-2006, 20:14
One of the thing I like about grenade launchers in CMD squads is the tendancy of people to under value them. A cmd squad loaded up with plasma guns and lascannons is an instant priority target, but one with grenade launchers and missile launchers, not so much while still having good firepower.

Ivan Stupidor
31-01-2006, 21:17
I love grenade launchers. Flexible, fire on the move, come in the squad box... If only I could hit with them.

Tom
31-01-2006, 23:04
Grenade Launcher/Autocannon to every single basic infantry squad in my army.

Melta/ML for platoon command, plasma for Command HQ (only infantry plasma weapon in the army), Meltas for Armoured fist and Veteran squads, Malta/GL possibly for Kasrkin.

EDIT: Malta?
Haha! I have dropped a meditteranean archipelago on your tank!

Typo funny, typo stay.

Dranthar
01-02-2006, 02:42
I take two units of Inquisitorial stormtroopers in my 2000pt Marine army. One is an 8 man squad with plasma, and the other is a 6-man squad with grenade launchers.

The plasma gunners are obviously quite handy for all those AP2 shots you can put out, but the grenade launchers have also been particularly great in the army.

It may be a small squad, but the lack of a good AP on the 'launchers and the abundance of marines everywhere else means that they are often ignored, leaving the unit free to run around hunting softer units like light infantry and low-armoured vehicles.

There is also the fact that not every army I play against is loaded out with 3+ armour :rolleyes: