PDA

View Full Version : Altansar craft world.

Marsekay
19-03-2005, 23:47
Am i correct in thinking it "popped" up again during the eye of terror campaign?
Was it destroyed during or after? or is it now still alive and kicking?

Caff
19-03-2005, 23:50
I think it showed up, and then it's sticking around now.

Not sure about where I heard it, probably one of the wrap-ups, but I think the craftworld showed up, and a bunch of them bailed out some of the other Eldar, or something like that.

Marsekay
19-03-2005, 23:58
It would be nice to see them given their own "seeing to" by GW when they redo the Eldar. along lines of the other majors, Alaitioc, Ulthwe, Beil-tan, Saim-hann and Iyanden.
Hmmm when i wrote those, i noticed just how many there were. did I miss any??

DantesInferno
20-03-2005, 00:18
Am i correct in thinking it "popped" up again during the eye of terror campaign?
Was it destroyed during or after? or is it now still alive and kicking?

I'll quote from the relevant bits in GW's official EOT conclusion:

The immortal Phoenix Lord Maugan Ra took a vital role in deciding the fate of the Eldar over the course of the Thirteenth Crusade. Responsible for the creation of the Ulthwé Strike Forces, Maughan Ra and the elite Black Guardians fought across every sector by cunning use of the webway. He ultimately led the Eldar to victory even in the heart of the Eye of Terror and, after repelling Dark Eldar raids on Xersia, fought alongside Creed against Abaddon’s incursion into the Basilica Dufaux. It is believed by many Farseers that the reappearance of the shadowy Craftworld of Altansar and its ghost-like inhabitants was purely due to the iron determination of the Phoenix Lord to locate and redeem his once-lost brethren.

And.......

The final, and most decisive, twist to this peculiar theatre of war came when a Daemon horde led a counter-attack against the Eldar consolidating their hold on the crone worlds, as sudden as it was devastating. To the great shock of the Eldar below, the withered and broken Craftworld of Altansar, thought lost to the Warp for 10,000 years, drifted into orbit above the crone worlds. Hundreds of pallid, ghost-like Eldar joined their brethren on the field of battle, throwing back the Daemon tide with wave after wave of silent, grim warriors. Since that great victory Belial IV has been reclaimed by the Eldar. What this, and the reappearance of the Lost, bodes for the Eldar race remains to be seen.

So it would appear to be an open story end for further development if GW want to.

Kaoslord
20-03-2005, 02:07
With the Eldar expected to be redone sometime soon (Possibly after Tyrannids), it opens up a lot of possibilities. Once the base army list is redone, they'll probably have a list of craftworld alterations, like the Chaos Codex had for the different Chaos Legions, or something akin to doctrines...

boogle
20-03-2005, 03:23
It will get done, but not after the Nids, thatts Templars, then Orks

malika
21-03-2005, 19:12
It is more interesting to know how it managed to survive for over 10,000 years, right in the Eye of Terror without being devoured by Slaanesh or other Chaos entities. What price did Altansar pay? Did they use Chaos against it self? Made a deal with the other Gods? Found some weird pre Fall technology?

Servo11
22-03-2005, 20:28
Sounds like an Eldar version of Legion of the Damned.

Riddy
22-03-2005, 22:01
At old portent we had a thread in Rule Development named Codex:Craftworld Altansar, we had done quite a bit of work on it too, shame its gone now.

Inflammable
04-04-2005, 21:21
Ghostly? Are they all dead, or are they all dark reapers?

malika
04-04-2005, 21:35
The Dark Reapers were created after Muegan Ra left Altansar since it got sucked up in the EOT, the Dark Reapers were created out of mourning for his lost craftworld

Karhedron
05-04-2005, 10:00
Ghostly? Are they all dead, or are they all dark reapers?
At the moment we don't know. The brief fluff desrciption made them sound ghostly, almost ethereal. There was nothing to suggest a lot of Dark Reapers but then it was only a short piece of fluff. Hopefully the new Eldar codex will tell us more when it finally arrives.

Sai-Lauren
05-04-2005, 11:00
Sounds like an Eldar version of Legion of the Damned.
And I think that's somewhere close to what they are. IIRC, they're still alive, but they're kind of less eldar, not quite corrupted by chaos, but haunted and badly affected by what they've been exposed to.

Edit:
IIRC, the first Reaper temple was on Altansar - Maugan-Ra was the only eldar who actually made it off the craftworld before it was lost.

salty
05-04-2005, 11:12
Come on, 10,000 years in the Warp, lost, no contact with other Eldar... you're bound to look slightly haunted aren't you?

I hope GW develops this; Belial IV is (IIRR) a former Home World of the Eldar, and they have reclaimed it. Altansar, a 6th Craftworld, has appeared as Iyanden is in its death throes thanks to the Nids. Perhaps the Eldar are on the up again?

Salty :)

malika
05-04-2005, 12:45
Well the Eldar have a former homeworld back, and since the spirit stones and those soul containing stones can be found in the EOT the population can grow once again :D

Grimtuff
05-04-2005, 21:18
I seem to recall Phil Kelly saying at one of the Games Days a while back that Altansar were "Army of the Dead for 40k" sounds about right to me

Black Ambience
06-04-2005, 20:16
I seem to recall Phil Kelly saying at one of the Games Days a while back that Altansar were "Army of the Dead for 40k" sounds about right to me

That could lead to a cool Tomb Kings style army (in army mechanics only). Picture it - ghostly Eldar that can be returned to the field by the psychic powers of a Farseer.

GW have lots of potential with Altansar - would hope that they are going to put it to good use!

salty
06-04-2005, 20:18
I like the idea of the Eldar beginning to gain strength and numbers again. They are too cool a race to simply peter away into nothingness. Like all cool races, they must be obliterated in a horrible bloody war!

Salty :)

malika
06-04-2005, 21:42
The 40k timeline will not be moving forward any time soon, especially since the departure of Andy Chambers, I think there even plans to move things backwards in time, a good example of this is the current battle for Macragge.