PDA

View Full Version : Vampire hero builds

goonerslg
27-12-2009, 17:36
Just got my first load of VC models for xmas and my first battle with them is in 2 weeks, what do you guys reckon is the best build for a standard vampire? not sure if I want to go magic or combat heavy yet so suggestions for either will be welcome.

Bladelord
27-12-2009, 18:00
Depends what sort of Vampire you want, just like you said yourself. how many points will you field? want to go magic or more combat oriented?

Nice build for a Wight King's atleast Sword of Kings & Enchanted Shield.

shredshredxx
27-12-2009, 18:12
well, the whole focus of your army will depend heavily on what sort of vamp build you're using, so it's probably better to decide whether you want combat or magic first.

casty vamps win games. vc are able to cast the same spells multiple times, and with scary amounts of power dice coupled with a master bloodline power, this leads to absolutely ridiculous unit size. you'll win through the static combat resolution of the units you've raised to enormous sizes, and the fact you can keep them from ever falling under 3 ranks + outnumber with spells. suppot units will flank, combats will be won.

but this is boring. you'll know the outcome of pretty much every game you play. you'll win through attrition, and your vampires should rarely see combat. that's totally lame.

if you've a masculine bone in your body, play combat vamps. i've been running this sort of army since forever, and have plenty of tips on vamp builds if you want them.

so, before i type more bricks of text that are torture for everyone to read, (sorry) which sounds more appealing??

goonerslg
27-12-2009, 18:38
Combat vamps appeal more, what are your heroes for if they aren't getting stuck into the thick of the action. Points wise its going to be a 1500 game followed by a 2000 match up

GenerationTerrorist
27-12-2009, 21:13
For a Combat-Nasty Vampire Lord (at 2K and above, obviously!) I do not think there is much wrong with the Dread Knight, Infinite Hatred and Red Fury powers, and give him the Blood Drinker and Walach's Hauberk items. Stick him in a hefty unit of Blood/Black Knights and watch him chew threw almost anything!

For my Vampire Hero-Level Characters (or my General in smaller games) I like the Walking Death and Lord of the Dead powers and give him the Tomb Blade and Flayed Hauberk items. Bunkered in a nice unit of Skeletons with the War Banner for a total of +2 Combat Res even before counting ranks or anything like that.

ShredShredxx is right, IMHO, that Combat Vampires are far more fun to play than Magic Vampires....Also I think that hiding such brutal Characters away from the real fighting kind of takes some of the appeal of the whole game away. Get stuck in and kill stuff :-)

Bladelord
27-12-2009, 22:36
Vamp with Dread Knight, Walking Death, carrying the battle standard (warbanner) accompanied in a unit of skeles with the Banner of Endless Nightmare gives a total of 9 static Combat Res:D
+3 Walking Death, BSB, Warbanner
+6 Outnumber, four ranks, standard bearer

QuietEarth
28-12-2009, 02:47
I just started up VC after many years of being out of Fantasy. In the last edition I played a necromancer heavy army and I plan to do the same. The thing I am having trouble with is what magic items to give my heroes. In my 2000pts army I am fielding a Vampire Lord, a Vampire, and two Necromancers.

Vampire Lord
Extra Magic Level
Master of the Black Arts
Dark Acolyte
Lord of the Dead

Vampire Hero
Dark Acolyte
Lord of the Dead

Necromancer
IoN
VHD
Dispel Scroll

Necromancer
IoN
VHD
Dispel Scroll

I'm still a little lost on magic items and where to actually put my heros. I plan to mount the necros on Corpse Carts and have them trail heind the lines but as for my vampires I don't know what magic items to give them and where to put them.

Darkangeldentist
28-12-2009, 20:37
I use a pair of supporting vampires in my armies. 1500pts+ these two support a more rounded vampire. A combat vampire for hunting down enemy flankers, small units, etc... and a battle standard who can support in the magic phase.

Vampire, infinite hatred, walking death, sword of battle, armour of night, talisman of lycni

Vampire, battle standard, forbidden lore, summon ghouls (or any of the mastery powers), flayed hauberk, power stone

The battle standard bearer is extremely useful as I never use lore of vampires with him. Instead he casts a spell each (there is always one or two from the regular magic lores he can cast easily) round and once per game unleashes the power stone so he can cast any of the spells he knows. It adds a great extra dimension to the magic phase.

goonerslg
29-12-2009, 07:34
How do you deploy your battle standard bearer/magic vamp? Do you have him hang back or get forward?

RealEvilGenius
29-12-2009, 15:18
I use two lord builds. Which I play depends upon my mood at the time/who I'm facing. The first is my Killy Lord: dread knight, red fury, infinite hatred, dreadlance, crown of the damned. He runs around with my Blood Knights behind a Dire Wolf screen. Then there's my casty lord: master of the black arts, forbidden lore, ghoul mastery, helm of commandment, wristbands of black and gold, staff of damnation. This one gets bunkered in a unit of ghouls that moves behind a unit of Grave Guard with Great Weapons (for the use of the helm and the staff).

My hero level vamps are each tooled to specific tasks typically. My first is built: ghoulkin, avatar of death, scepter de noirot, powerstone. He goes in another ghoul unit so they get a free march. His job is to get close to the enemy then start raising zombies either as screens or threatening flanks/rear.

My second is built: dark acolyte, avatar of death, book of arkhan, enchanted shield. This guy goes with the Grave Guard for bound Van Hels and to invoke the unit once it is in combat.

My 4th character choice is typically a wight king battle standard bearer with the sword of kings and the flayed hauberk. He too goes in the grave guard.

Darkangeldentist
29-12-2009, 22:39
How do you deploy your battle standard bearer/magic vamp? Do you have him hang back or get forward?

He goes forward.

My BSB/magic vampire goes in one of my rank and file units and often gets stuck in. He's quite careful about picking fights but thanks to his decent save and the option of support from spells. This also tends to get him into good positions to best cast spells.

A recent game saw him cleave Troll king Throgg in twain thanks to a well timed flaming sword. Quite frequently he casts the bears anger on himself or my speedy vampire. (A 6 attack S7 vampire with hatred is quite evil.)

The other common trick for him is walking up in one of the ranked up units but not quite at the front and use the power stone to cast cleansing flare (lore of light is just amazingly useful for vampires) in later stages of the game. Turn 4 or 5, you often have gotten through the enemies dispel scrolls and most units will be in combat. Reasonably close together with any luck and you can hit many units, whittling them down and swinging several combats.

jmcg1989
31-12-2009, 15:28
I use two lord builds. Which I play depends upon my mood at the time/who I'm facing. The first is my Killy Lord: dread knight, red fury, infinite hatred, dreadlance, crown of the damned. He runs around with my Blood Knights behind a Dire Wolf screen. Then there's my casty lord: master of the black arts, forbidden lore, ghoul mastery, helm of commandment, wristbands of black and gold, staff of damnation. This one gets bunkered in a unit of ghouls that moves behind a unit of Grave Guard with Great Weapons (for the use of the helm and the staff).

My hero level vamps are each tooled to specific tasks typically. My first is built: ghoulkin, avatar of death, scepter de noirot, powerstone. He goes in another ghoul unit so they get a free march. His job is to get close to the enemy then start raising zombies either as screens or threatening flanks/rear.

My second is built: dark acolyte, avatar of death, book of arkhan, enchanted shield. This guy goes with the Grave Guard for bound Van Hels and to invoke the unit once it is in combat.

My 4th character choice is typically a wight king battle standard bearer with the sword of kings and the flayed hauberk. He too goes in the grave guard.

if your combat lord has the dreadlance there isnt any point in taking infinite hatred as he doesnt have to roll to hit
you're better off taking walking death for the garunteed combat res

RealEvilGenius
31-12-2009, 17:50
if your combat lord has the dreadlance there isnt any point in taking infinite hatred as he doesnt have to roll to hit
you're better off taking walking death for the garunteed combat res

I knew when I types Infinite Hatred something was off. Walking Death or Beguile are both appropriate replacements.

goonerslg
01-01-2010, 20:57
How else do you get a decent armour save other than flayed hauberk?

Nurgling Chieftain
01-01-2010, 21:43
Dread Knight.

Darkangeldentist
01-01-2010, 21:43
Walach's bloody hauberk on a vampire riding a nightmare has a 3+ save and a 5+ ward. If he takes dreadknight you get a 1+ save.

Just dreadknight will give you a 2+ save.

Avatar of death and an enchanted shield is quite decent for a vampire on foot. (3+ save normally, 2+ for hand weapon and shield in combat.)