PDA

View Full Version : Iron Breakers with halberds?

Haravikk
28-12-2009, 10:42
As I mentioned in another thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4243976&postcount=42), I've been using the plastic dwarf warriors box to build the "special" dwarf units as well. To create a really unique look for the Iron Breakers I've opted to use the standard-bearer arms with axes and spikes attached (and some modification to angle the front rank's arms forward). From an aesthetic perspective it looks great and really highlights how the Iron Breakers operate as a defensive unit, and for the moment I just use some imagination; assuming they bear the brunt of a charge with their "halberds" before dropping them and fighting with hand-weapons and shields anyway, with no special rules.

However, I was thinking it might be interesting in friendly matches to offer halberds for some Dwarf units, as the Dwarfs do only really have hand-weapons and/or great-weapons as combat choices, spears are the main one to miss but that's another story. On these lines, what do you think about pricing or special rules?

My thought given the notes above about weathering a charge then fighting normally lead me to like the idea of a charge-reaction weapon, for example; +1 points per model. In first round of combat, if charged, grants +1 strength, model can still use shield. Cannot be used against enemies attacking from flanks or rear.

This way you essentially pay for a little extra return damage at the start of a combat that you are on the receiving end of, hopefully tipping the balance in your favour that little bit sooner, and reducing the chances of breaking if hit by enemies that hit hard when charging, such as cavalry.
It represents the extra reach of the halberds hopefully wounding or slowing (but rarely killing outright) the enemy before they can close, at which point it's up to the Dwarf's trusty axes to do the job as usual, thus it never counts as a two-handed weapon as the Dwarfs would have their shields ready to block immediately after dropping their halberd, and before drawing their axe.

I would probably try to come up with a more inventive name for the weapons since they wouldn't be that similar to a regular halberd with the additional caveats above.

KayazyAssassin
28-12-2009, 10:48
its a neat idea but doesn't fit the fluff of iron breakers who guard tunnels against attack a lot of the time and wielding a long pole with a blade on top would be a bit unwieldy in a tunnel

Haravikk
28-12-2009, 11:04
its a neat idea but doesn't fit the fluff of iron breakers who guard tunnels against attack a lot of the time and wielding a long pole with a blade on top would be a bit unwieldy in a tunnel
I dunno, I always figured the Dwarf tunnels would be pretty huge, and for the most part the Iron Breakers just try to find choke-points such as narrower connecting tunnels or stairs and hold them.

Ramius4
28-12-2009, 21:30
If it's a friendly game and your friends don't mind playtesting a house rule then go for it.

Grozgut
29-12-2009, 02:36
just allow thrown axes for a 1-2 pt options. don't think a dwarf would want to use an orc chappa. :)

Gazak Blacktoof
29-12-2009, 07:24
Instead of their normal equipment would be fine. They shouldn't need, or get, special halberd rules though.

danny-d-b
29-12-2009, 10:30
no!

sorry the entire point of ironbreakers in to be a brick not a spicky block, if anything give them pistols???

savage_orc
29-12-2009, 10:56
No !!!!!!!!!!

1 iron breakers are a defensive unit used to defend tunnels that can get quite small with little room to swing a cat let alone a pole weapon sword and board does them fine why mess with something thatís not broke

2 dwarfs use axes and hammers they are to clumsy to use other weapons it may not seem it but a halberd takes some skill to use take it from me I have used one and wished I had a sword and shield

3 I donít even like the idea of ironbreakers having thrown weapons or pistol they form a solid shield wall that nothing can get though in the time it would take to use a ranged weapon a gutter runner could of thrown a ninja star into a weak spot and a hole in the wall is made

If you brought a unit dwarfs with halberds to my table I would let you use them as warriors or hammers at a push but not iron breakers

Grimstonefire
29-12-2009, 11:04
What you could do is have the front rank with large shields +hw. Then subsequent ranks with halberds.

House rules there's no problem imo, though I would say +1pt/ model, standard halberd rules. Halberds should always require 2 hands, anything else is just not realistic at all.

savage_orc
29-12-2009, 11:11
nope they only useful on the front rank if you where to have ranked up troops the a spear would be a better choice (you swing them not poke peaple with them )

Anardakil
29-12-2009, 12:19
nope they only useful on the front rank if you where to have ranked up troops the a spear would be a better choice (you swing them not poke peaple with them )

Actually. Halberds are made so you can both swing and thrust. As far as I know.

savage_orc
29-12-2009, 12:30
Yup they have points for sticking people but they only come on 6ft poles (thatís for a human size not a stunty as a rule of thumb they should just about be taller then the guy wielding them) the point been used to fend of cavalry people tend to get them confused with bills or even spears and pole axes witch are different kettles of fish. Most of the time they are used in mixed units with pike blocks or infantry support (this is why in the empire they make a good detachment and not a good parent unit:))

Malagant
29-12-2009, 16:38
1 iron breakers are a defensive unit used to defend tunnels that can get quite small with little room to swing a cat let alone a pole weapon sword

Why not model them wielding cats? :D

Halberds are great big two-handed jobbies...call them Great Weapons and move on. Not like the Dwarfs are going to have higher I than anyone anyway!

(Though I'm at work, and don't have the book here...can Ironbreakers even get GW?)

danny-d-b
29-12-2009, 17:27
(Though I'm at work, and don't have the book here...can Ironbreakers even get GW?)

no- IB can't get Gw

WLBjork
30-12-2009, 08:01
Yup they have points for sticking people but they only come on 6ft poles (thatís for a human size not a stunty as a rule of thumb they should just about be taller then the guy wielding them) the point been used to fend of cavalry people tend to get them confused with bills or even spears and pole axes witch are different kettles of fish. Most of the time they are used in mixed units with pike blocks or infantry support (this is why in the empire they make a good detachment and not a good parent unit:))

GW only "recognise" 4 types of polearm - Lances, Spears, Pikes and Halberds.

Difference between other types of polearm are not really pertinent to the discussion at hand.