PDA

View Full Version : [Newb] 2250 Dark Elves Balanced.

Killswitch<>
28-12-2009, 12:07
Hi guys. As some of youknow, im an avid 40k gamer and even a tourney gamer. Yet now that ive decided to do some fantasy, I want to slow down a bit from tourney play, so I want to great a balanced list, which can still throw down the hurt. Here is what Ive come up with, comments are greatly appreciated.

Lord

DreadLord: 215pts
Armour of darkness, Pendant of khaeleth, Soulrender. Joins Black Guard

Heroes

Sorceress: 185pts
Lv 2, Sacrificial Dagger, Dispel scroll. Joins Warriors.

Sorceress: 180pts
Lv 2, Life taker, Tome of furion. Joins one of the Xbowmen

Master: 174pts
BSB, Standard of slaughter, Lance, Cold one, Heavy armour, Shield, Sea dragon cloak. Joins CoK's.

Core

19 Dark Elf Warriors: 123pts
Spears, Light armour, shields, Full command.

10 Repeater Crossbowmen: 110pts
Shields.

12 Repeater Crossbowmen: 132pts
Shields.

5 Dark Riders: 117pts
R.Crossbows, Musician.

5 Dark Riders: 117pts
R.Crossbows, Musician.

Special

15 Black Guard: 290pts
Full command, Crimson death, Standard of hag graef.

5 Cold One Knights: 200pts
Full command, War banner.

Rare

Hydra: 175pts

2 Reaper Bolt Throwers: 200pts

Grand total: 2248pts

Cheers!

kyussinchains
28-12-2009, 13:11
looks quite solid, you could get away with using a regular great weapon on your lord as he's ASF anyway, I'd do that and give him the seal of ghrond for extra magic defense.....

also your BSB is illegal, you can either give him a magic standard or magic items, but not both.... sorry! I'd lose the potion and soulrender and just give him a lance, with the standard of slaughter and a unit of cold ones, they dont need any more punch really

Killswitch<>
28-12-2009, 13:26
looks quite solid, you could get away with using a regular great weapon on your lord as he's ASF anyway, I'd do that and give him the seal of ghrond for extra magic defense.....

Oh yeh thats a good point haha thanks for pointing that out! Perhaps give him the ring of hotek and give my black guard master the crimson death instead?

also your BSB is illegal, you can either give him a magic standard or magic items, but not both.... sorry! I'd lose the potion and soulrender and just give him a lance, with the standard of slaughter and a unit of cold ones, they dont need any more punch really

Oh I didn't know that xD! Okies so that would save me 45 pts, what should I get with that?

kyussinchains
28-12-2009, 13:42
Oh yeh thats a good point haha thanks for pointing that out! Perhaps give him the ring of hotek and give my black guard master the crimson death instead?

probably a good idea, an extra 3 ASF S6 attacks is always nice

Oh I didn't know that xD! Okies so that would save me 45 pts, what should I get with that?

I'd suggest more warriors for your sorceress's unit, she can take out two a turn potentially so a few extra can't hurt, it might be worth dropping the standard and musician from the unit and buying a few more warriors, keep the champion though to protect the sorceress from challenges she can't refuse.

Killswitch<>
28-12-2009, 13:45
I see, ok, ill make the changes above.

Taishar
28-12-2009, 16:19
Your lord currently is illegal; has two talismans (ring, pendant). I'd suggest just dropping the ring, you have two level 2s, against a lot of armies it'd be overkill and annoying for you as well. Drop two crossbowmen and a couple blackguard and bulk up the spearelves, so they could actually be in combat if they needed to.

Cheers

Killswitch<>
28-12-2009, 16:33
I see, so dropping the ring would give me 25 pts! I could get 2 more spearmen, thats 14pts, then 11 pts left for a banner and musician for the spearmen unit!

Philip Bright
29-12-2009, 01:15
have you considered downgrade your unkillable lord for almost unkillable master? You can free 88pts by only taking a master with PoK and normal armour. The master dose almost the same thing as the dredlord. Remember if he joins the Black guards he has ASF anyway so why pay for soulrender?!

Master -- 127pts
- HA, SDC, PoK, GW

This allows you to take a units of harpies, DR or X-bows.

Killswitch<>
29-12-2009, 08:57
soul render is a GW with armour pircing so makes him slightly more lethal for 11pts more. Im usualy told its worth getting a lord over the master for the better stats and 3 wounds, so id have to playtest that theory out!

SevenSins
29-12-2009, 16:25
The main difference between lord and master is in my opinion getting Ld 10 (doesn't help me at all btw, I suck at leadership rolls)

An alternative lord would be full mundane armor and the executioners axe, makes him a beast in challenges (although a little do or die)

I've had very good results with a BsB with full armor, dark steed, PoK and sword of might

Banner of cold blood is very nice on cold one knights, for that one turn where stupidity would ruin your day.....

Still a solid list with something to do in all phases

Killswitch<>
29-12-2009, 17:02
The main difference between lord and master is in my opinion getting Ld 10 (doesn't help me at all btw, I suck at leadership rolls)

An alternative lord would be full mundane armor and the executioners axe, makes him a beast in challenges (although a little do or die)

I've had very good results with a BsB with full armor, dark steed, PoK and sword of might

Banner of cold blood is very nice on cold one knights, for that one turn where stupidity would ruin your day.....

Still a solid list with something to do in all phases

Thats what I thought, the LD 10 could help alot, especially since the black guard arn't stubborn! And the extra attack is always nice, and the stat boosts and the ability to take more gear, for 60 pts more!

I hate the thought of relying on 1 beastly weapon. Sure its really good, but Id prefer to survive, rather then be a strong attack. Black guard + the lord themselves should dish out enough damage, and a str 6 armour piercing wep which asf is good enuf!

Can he take a PoK is his a BSB?

SevenSins
29-12-2009, 17:32
as long as he doesn't have a magic banner, he can take 50points of stash (pendant of Kaleth (PoK) and sword of might = 50points)

Black guard are stubborn, and immune to psychology, and very good ;)

The executioners axe really comes into its own vs ogresized stuff and monsters, but I agree, survivability is more reliable.

I'm not to fond of giving the BG champion a weapon (but I'm cheap so...)

LKHERO
29-12-2009, 17:34
Thats what I thought, the LD 10 could help alot, especially since the black guard arn't stubborn!

Pg. 46 of your book dude. What does it say under their special rules?

Stubborn on Ld.9.

tmarichards
29-12-2009, 17:38
Personally, I'd prefer to put the BSB on a Dark Steed, and give him the Sword of Might and Pendant instead of running him wih the COKs, this gives you 2 options to take out multpile threats, or you can run them together. Personally, I'd give the Lord the regen armour instead, because anything that runs into that unit should really die before it gets to attack. I'd give the Lord a standard great weapon, and give the unit champion crimson death.

LKHERO
29-12-2009, 17:46
Personally, I'd prefer to put the BSB on a Dark Steed, and give him the Sword of Might and Pendant instead of running him wih the COKs, this gives you 2 options to take out multpile threats, or you can run them together. Personally, I'd give the Lord the regen armour instead, because anything that runs into that unit should really die before it gets to attack. I'd give the Lord a standard great weapon, and give the unit champion crimson death.

Or a Halberd because it's cheaper?

Killswitch<>
29-12-2009, 18:02
Pg. 46 of your book dude. What does it say under their special rules?

Stubborn on Ld.9.

Oops my bad haha thanks xD!

The unit champ does have a crimson death, I think ive edited the top post. Ok ill give him a standard GW but what should I use instead with the spare pts?

If I put him on a dark steed, Where should he go if his not in the CoK squad, surely if his by himself, his prone to being shot to death?

as long as he doesn't have a magic banner, he can take 50points of stash (pendant of Kaleth (PoK) and sword of might = 50points)

Black guard are stubborn, and immune to psychology, and very good ;)

The executioners axe really comes into its own vs ogresized stuff and monsters, but I agree, survivability is more reliable.

I'm not to fond of giving the BG champion a weapon (but I'm cheap so...)

Haha well if the champ has a wep, its 3 extra str 6 attacks, which will be very nice when attacking heavy cavalry, mixed in with the lords 4 str 6 attacks!

Cheers for the feedback!

kyussinchains
29-12-2009, 19:43
how are you planning on fielding your black guard? 2x7 is normally the optimum size, so if you've got a lord in there you can probably lose a couple of guard and add more bodies to your sorceress's unit, alternatively you could throw the warbanner onto them.

tmarichards
29-12-2009, 22:30
If I put him on a dark steed, Where should he go if his not in the CoK squad, surely if his by himself, his prone to being shot to death?

Seriously, he can run around on his own. He's got a 1+ armour save against shooting, and then the pendant ward save. It gives you a brilliant option for taking out flamers, skirmishers, light cavalry, wraiths (beware the Banshee though...) and war machines.
Obviously though he's not invincible (I've lost him on occasion to massive amounts of DE repeater xbow fire, although I was unlucky with my asmour saves), and anything with combat res must be avoided

Killswitch<>
30-12-2009, 09:23
But surely the point of the BsB is to provide the re rolls for my other units within 12? If his out hunting, I wont get that will i? Or am I wrong abou tthe "within 12 inches" rule lol!

tmarichards
30-12-2009, 10:32
No, you're completely right.
Having looked over your army list again, I think I'm going to have to say you've got the right idea about the BSB... I usually play with more dark riders and try for a full on avoidance army. This means that I do my level best not to get into combat quite often, so the BSB being nearby isn't too necessary.
Also, Kyussinchains is right, you could probably drop a couple of Black Guard and run them in 2 ranks of 7 wih the character.

Hammer49
30-12-2009, 10:47
I like the look of your army. I would consider leaving the blackguard as they are, as there likely to attract alot of missle fire.