PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 2000

havoc626
28-12-2009, 23:35
Tomb King w/ Chariot, Spear of Antarhak, Armour of the Ages, Collar of Shapesh, Shield

Liche Priest w/ Golden Ankhra, Casket of Souls

Liche Priest w/ Dispel Scroll, Cloak of the Dunes

Icon Bearer w/ Chariot, Amulet of Pha-Stah

Skeleton Warriors x 20 w/ Light Armour, Shields, Champion, Standard Bearer

Skeleton Warriors x 10

Skeleton Warriors x 10

Chariots x 3 w/ Standard Bearer, Mirage Standard

Chariots x 4 w/ Standard Bearer

Tomb Swarm x 2

Carrion x 5

Tomb Scorpion

Screaming Skull Catapult w/ Skulls of the Foe

Total: 1998

This is meant to be an army that takes the fight to the enemy more so than just sits back and waits, so any recommendations to make it more so would be welcome.

Also, 2 questions. Which Liche Priest should be the Hierophant and if I expand this army to 2250pts, what should I take?

Spiney Norman
29-12-2009, 00:16
One change I would make to the army list
Take out the icon bearer and replace him with either a 3rd Priest for improved magic or a Prince for a little extra magic and a good combat hero. The icon-bearer is so sub-par that almost no-one uses him in the current edition, he's not great at combat, has no magic and his banner's effect is so minimal that he's not really worth his cost.

Tomb Kings are so reliant on their magic that to waste a character slot on a non-caster is almost unheard of. I would also lose the Tomb swarms to save yourself some points for added extras. The Banner of the Undying Legion would be nice to drop somewhere, probably on chariots.

Just a quick question, are you absolutely sure the total pts is under 2k, I've written more 2k Tomb King lists than I care to remember and this one seems very... full. By my guess its at least 2250

If you do have space to add anything else before you hit 2250 then I'd look into some Tomb Guard, maybe another Tomb Scorpion or some Ushabti.

havoc626
29-12-2009, 01:30
I'll double check the points of it all, as it was a list that I fiddled around with a bit, but I'm fair sure it comes in at that. If not, it isn't a bother because I'm aiming at a 2250 army anyway, just couldn't think of what to add.

As for the Icon Bearer, the main reason I have him is for having a nasty surprise against enemy characters that like to use ward and similar saves. There are a fair few DE players at my local group, the Amulet is a very nice thing to have. I put in on an Icon Bearer mostly because it saves points, but I'll try it on a Tomb Prince and make the points back by taking out the Tomb Swarms.

mmckeddie
29-12-2009, 01:38
Personally I would try to find the 25pts to throw the Standard of the Cursing Word on your second chariot unit. You maximize its potential effect since a chariot is 50mm wide and will likely affect 4 models. (I once managed to charge a unit of Khorne Chosen Knights killed 2 with banner, chariots themselves did nothing, and ran down the unit upon a failed break test all because of a 25pt banner. Sweet!)

havoc626
29-12-2009, 01:48
Points are over, the list is 2163pts as it is, so I have no clue as to what I missed out when doing this list. I will make this into a 2250pt list, however, as that was my overall aim.

I can't add a magic banner to the second chariot unit, as the rules state that "One unit may carry a magic standard..."

havoc626
29-12-2009, 01:56
Tomb King w/ Chariot, Spear of Antarhak, Armour of the Ages, Collar of Shapesh, Shield

Tomb Prince w/ Amulet of Pha-Stah, Great Weapon, Light Armour

Skeleton Warriors x 20 w/ Light Armour, Shields, Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Undying Legion

Skeleton Warriors x 10

Skeleton Warriors x 10

Tomb Swarm x 1

Carrion x 5

Tomb Scorpion

Total: 2244

Spiney Norman
29-12-2009, 11:40
Drop the lone swarm to give your prince a chariot and you're done (also swap his Great weapon for a flail if you're mounting him).

tarrym
29-12-2009, 12:29

Personally I never liked the spear that much. It can be good, but over the course of a game generally doesn't net you many restored wounds at all. I'd give him either the flail of skulls or the blade of setep to take on knight units.

Good, but needs to be supported by other units to delay the inevitable charge from enemy fast cav/flyers. Once in combat with something thats your casket effectively out of the game - unless you get REALLY lucky!

Good, this guy should be your heirophant as he isn't a sitting duck.

Tomb Prince w/ Amulet of Pha-Stah, Great Weapon, Light Armour

I agree with the comment above, this guy should be on a chariot and swap his great weapon for a flail

Skeleton Warriors x 20 w/ Light Armour, Shields, Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Undying Legion

Good tarpit units. But don't expect them to last more than 1-2 rounds of combat on their own.

Skeleton Warriors x 10

Skeleton Warriors x 10

At least one of these should be supporting the casket, either by shooting down the fast cav/flyers or standing between the casket and the enemy units to delay/redirect the charges

Great unit. Assuming the king is going in here I would swap the standard for the Banner of the Sacred Eye - the +1 to hit really makes this unit something to worry about on the charge*

Great unit. Personally I'd drop to 3 chariots. If you put your prince on a chariot then keep the standard here and you have a hard hitting unit. Otherwise just use this as a vanilla 3 chariot unit - 120pts of pretty hard hitting fast cav, but also a great diversion/sacrifice unit if needs be.

Tomb Swarm x 1

Helpful for protecting the casket. Remember you can stick this directly in front of your casket and not leave enough room for enemy flyers to land - thus preventing a charge on the casket itself for a turn or two.

Carrion x 5

Great for auto destroying fleeing units. It would be good to bump this up by 1 model to compensate for casulaties - if behind enemy lines your carrion are unlikely to get any magic support to heal them etc

Tomb Scorpion

These guys are really good for lone character hunting, or taking out units of knights (if you can get a flank charge).

Staple of most armies, if the enemy only has 1 flyer/fast cav unit then worth considering deploying this well away from your casket. But then obviously that means missing out on magic support - it's a double edged sword.

Total: 2244

* = remember that bonuses from things like flails, spears, bone giants special attacks etc all grant their bonuses "on the turn they charge" so the bonus applies in both the combat phase and the earlier magic phase if you can cast smiting.

Good luck!

havoc626
30-12-2009, 00:13

Tomb Prince w/ Amulet of Pha-Stah, Flail, Light Armour, Chariot

Skeleton Warriors x 20 w/ Light Armour, Shields, Standard Bearer

Skeleton Warriors x 10

Skeleton Warriors x 10

Chariots x 3 w/ Standard Bearer, Icon of the Sacred Eye

Chariots x 3 w/ Standard Bearer

Tomb Swarm x 1

Carrion x 5

Tomb Scorpion

Total: 2247

Okay, taken most of the advice as I do like how the army has shaped out now. I would take the Flail of Skulls, but unfortunately it is 5pts too much for the magic points allowed, so I have a few options there. I can keep it as it is or drop the Spear, take a flail and take an enchanted item instead worth up to 35pts.