PDA

View Full Version : Noob Needs Advice WOC 2250 pts.

Przemcio251
29-12-2009, 08:27
Hi i just begun collecting WFB and i decided to play WOC as i kind of likeíem iv put toghter a army list and im wondering if i will be able to win some games with it... or is it a total junk. Im not looking for some standart turnament army list or something. So here it is.

Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
Juggernout of Khorne
Chaos Runeshield
Chaos Runesword
----------------------------------------- 375 pts.

Chaos Sorcerer
Mark of Nurgle
Dispel Scroll
Level 2
----------------------------------------- 165 pts.

Chaos Sorcerer
Mark of Nurgle
Dispel Scroll
Level 2
----------------------------------------- 165 pts.

15 x Chaos Warrior
Shield
Mark Of Nurgle
Standart/Musican
---------------------------------------- 288 pts.

15 x Chaos Warrior
Additional Hand Weapon
Mark of Khorne
Standart/Musican
---------------------------------------- 288 pts.

5 x Chaos Knight
Mark of Nurgle
Standart
Banner of Rage
---------------------------------------- 285 pts.

3 x Chaos Troll
---------------------------------------- 135 pts.

5 x Chaos Warhounds
--------------------------------------- 30 pts.

5 x Chaos Warhounds
--------------------------------------- 30 pts.

5 x Chaos Warhounds
-------------------------------------- 30 pts.

5 x Chaos Knight
Mark of Slaanesh
------------------------------------- 210 pts.

13 x Chaos Maruder
------------------------------------- 52 pts.

4 x Chaos Ogre
Dubble handed Weapon
Mark of Khorne
------------------------------------- 210 pts.

Or

10 x Chaos Choosen
Shield
Mark of Khorne
------------------------------------- 220 pts.

Power Dice 6
Dispel Dice 4

Total

2260 lub 2270.

The lord will be joining the Nurgle Knights with Banner of Rage. While both sorcerrors will join this small unit of marauders to protect them from enemy shooters. I like the lord gear since Runesheild disables enemy magical weapons but im still hesitating between RuneSword +1WS , +1S , +1A or the sword that gives no armor saves. I like those Trollís since the miniatures looks nice and they are kind of climatic:) So what do you think will i be able to compete with any opponents??? What would you change in it? Ohhh and one more think i hate maruders so i try to have minimum required of them:D

Razakel
29-12-2009, 08:50
Hi,

I haven't had time to go over the WOC army list extensively, so just a few minor things that are by no means necessary for your army or required to play in a tournament.

As a rule infantry in bigger blocks are more powerful, you should try to have Maurader's in units of 25-30 and Chaos Warriors in units of 20-25. This is because every-time you take 25% casualties from shooting or magic you have to take a panic test, if you fail it, you flee. Thus, it is better to have each unit with slightly more models than you have chosen, though I'm sure it could be made to work.

There are exceptions to this, you are usually better off to keep units like Chaos Warhounds in several smaller units as you have done, to use them as a screen for firepower or magic to protect your more valuable units, or to attack the vulnerable flanks of the enemy army.

About your Lords weapons, it depends largely on what you want him to do in a game, and who you will be playing. Hes strength 5 at all times (unless modified by your enemy), so against Elves, Dark Elves and other armies with mostly T3 troops the Runesword is better, because it will make you S6 which is a -3 to all armour saves. Against more heavily armoured troops (Dwarfs, Lizardmen and other Chaos armies) the armour ignore is good to have.

If you didn't know who you were going to be playing (just a few games against some random friends), I'd lean on the Runesword as the wiser choice, the extra attack and strength point are not to be underestimated.

I also realize you said you disliked Maurader's, the main objective of the game is to enjoy it, if you don't like them then don't take them. I'll let someone with more experience comment on the other parts of your army, but it looks good.

savage_orc
29-12-2009, 08:52
Your list looks fine good numbers just a few things

Remember that frenzy is a double edged sword with risks I can see your lord charging out of your knights to go kill some bait unit when you donít want him to but those are the risks when you take korne marked units

I would go with chosen they are way cooler then ogres give them dooble (he he) hand weapons ouch thatís going to hurt

Trolls I like trolls but i only use them if my lord is on foot so I can use his leadership how about dropping them and taking the ogres (this is purely a suggestion and not a criticism)

Przemcio251
29-12-2009, 09:15
Well i do want to take part in some local turnaments as i see there are many around here in Warsaw. So i think i will not be able to change my army list during games to either use the runesword or aether sword or maybe players are allowed to change army lists between games???

As for Marauders well i must say i dislike to paint them as my painting skills are poor:) always easier to paint Warriors in full Armor. As for Larger Warrior units that is a good idea but they are really expensive in term of point's i could rise the number of worriors in both units to 20 but that means i will have to drop Chaos Knights of Slaanesh

Well i know frenzy is dubble edged weapon as i will have to charge anything in Range but that is ok especialy with the Lord as they should be able to kill any screening unit enemy might use as Bait.

Hmmmm Choosen with GW... i like that. Please tell me Troll can only use Lord Ld when rolling on stupidity while the lord is in the unit not when he is withing 12"? I think my magic will suck since i only have 4 dispel dice:)

Razakel
29-12-2009, 09:27
Well, during games you are never allowed to change your army list. At tournaments you can't change it between games either. But amongst friends I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you tried one weapon in one game and a different one in another.

And yeah, I myself was always rubbish at painting skin, one of the reasons I started Dwarf's :D.

Also: Troll's can use the General's Leadership for Stupidity. What savage_orc meant was that if your Lord is on a mount he will quickly speed away, leaving the Troll's suffering from Stupidity for a lot of the game.

savage_orc
29-12-2009, 09:42
thx raz that exactly what i ment :) yes trolls can use genrals leadership to test for stupid this is why i use them as a support unit for my lord this saved my bacon from a hydra last time i played

but if you wanna run them as a independant unit not so good this is where ogres are better (i miss my minotaurs :( )

Przemcio251
29-12-2009, 09:48
Ahh well Trolls have M of 5 so they should keep up with the Lord since his M is 7:)

Andoneknight
29-12-2009, 10:37
First post, so correct me if I am wrong, but you say that your Lord (Khorne) will be joining your Nurlge Knights - from what I remember reading, a character must have the same mark as the unit it wishes to join.

captainAurelius
29-12-2009, 11:09
As a rule infantry in bigger blocks are more powerful, you should try to have Maurader's in units of 25-30 and Chaos Warriors in units of 20-25. This is because every-time you take 25% casualties from shooting or magic you have to take a panic test, if you fail it, you flee. Thus, it is better to have each unit with slightly more models than you have chosen, though I'm sure it could be made to work.

This may be true in general but doesn't apply to WoC infantry. Bigger blocks mean a better Static Combat Resolution score (ranks, standards, outnumber) and are therefore more powerful through this avenue. Consider this the way to build infantry in a defensive role who can take charges, absorb shooting and win combat through attrition. Chaos Warriors are far too good and expensive to have anything bigger than an 18 man unit (6x3), most players go for 12 man units (6x2) to maximise their good offensive stats. Marauders have two builds: The anvil unit of 25 with light armour and shields, standard, musician and MoS so they don't flee, this is an orthodox defensive infantry build. The other is 10-12 men, with Great weapons, perhaps a musician and either MoS or MoK so they can threaten to cause damage; more of a detachment style support unit for your warriors.

WoC have the rule "The Will of Chaos" and good leadership so you don't have to give much thought to panic checks.

Am quite surprised no one has picked up on this.

First post, so correct me if I am wrong, but you say that your Lord (Khorne) will be joining your Nurlge Knights - from what I remember reading, a character must have the same mark as the unit it wishes to join.

Correction: He can go where he likes you'll be pleased to know. Also the knights have frenzy so this is a good fit.

Przemcio251
29-12-2009, 11:26
Thanks for the Insight Aurelius that is really interesting. I will think this one through. Hmmm by taking 3 Warrors from Each of my units i can add 2x 5 Chaos Warhounds for screening purposes... Also i think i don't need musicans in those units...

One more thing if i put those 2 Nurgle Sorcerrors into a Marauder units bearing the mark of Slaanesh will they all benefit from immune to psychology??

Also i heard people are using Chaos Spawns to draw enemy fire? why are they so good at it with their random movement? i know they have T of 5 but no saves of any kind.

Andoneknight
29-12-2009, 12:37
Correction: He can go where he likes you'll be pleased to know. Also the knights have frenzy so this is a good fit.

I guess my Hordes of Chaos armies book is out of date then! I'll have to get me a new one.

Przemcio251
29-12-2009, 13:05
Well i think Warriors of Chaos Army book was released in 2008.

Przemcio251
29-12-2009, 19:22
Chaos Lord
Mark Of Khorne (Frenzy)
Juggernaut of Khorne (+3 Armor Save)
Chaos Runesword (+1WS +1S +1A)
Chaos Runeshield (enemy magic weapons do not work)
-------------------------------------------------------------------- 375 Pts.

Chaos Sorcerer
Mark of Nurgle (-1WS/BS)
Level 2
Dispel Scroll (auto dispel)
-------------------------------------------------------------------- 165 Pts.

Chaos Sorcerer
Mark of Nurgle (-1WS/BS)
Level 2
Dispel Scroll (auto dispel)
-------------------------------------------------------------------- 165 Pts.

12 x Chaos Warrior
Standard Bearer
Mark on Nurgle
Shield
-------------------------------------------------------------------- 234 Pts.

12 x Chaos Warrior
Standard Bearer
Mark of Khorne (Frenzy)
Additional Hand Weapon (+1 A)
--------------------------------------------------------------------- 234 Pts.

5 x Chaos Knights
Mark of Khorne ( Frenzy)
-------------------------------------------------------------------- 230 Pts.

5 x Chaos Knights
Standard Bearer
Mark of Nurgle (enemy -1 WS/BS)
Banner of Rage (Frenzy)
--------------------------------------------------------------------- 285 Pts.

3 x Chaos Troll
--------------------------------------------------------------------- 135 Pts.

10 x Chaos Choosen
Great Weapon (+2 S)
Mark of Khorne (Frenzy)
------------------------------------------------------------------- 230 Pts.

5 x Chaos Warhounds
------------------------------------------------------------------- 30 Pts.

5 x Chaos Warhounds

5 x Chaos Warhounds

5 x Chaos Warhounds

17 x Chaos Marauder
Mark Of Slaanesh ( Immune to Psychology)
------------------------------------------------------------------ 74 Pts.

PD 6 DD 4
Total Value 2247

here is the updated Army list im still thinking if its worth to split the units of Chaos Choosen into two 5 man units. What do you think of this army list now???:)

Przemcio251
30-12-2009, 08:01
Also im thinking about maybe using 3 x Level 1 Nurgle sorcerers insted of 2 Lvl 2 one's that would give me 5 Power Dice and 5 Dispel Dice of course my magic will be limited to the Nurgle spell nr 1 but i think its good.

Azethel
02-01-2010, 15:05
Id try to fit some marauder horsemen in there if at all possible. Also remember to screen all of your frenzied troops with chaos hounds so they dont go tearing off charging things they dont want to. Im not sure what you want to do with those 17 marauders on foot but I would either make them 10 strong with GW and MOK (80 pts), bump them to 20-25 with LA, shields and MOS OR drop them and give banner of wrath to the nurgle warrior unit.