PDA

View Full Version : +1 to Dispel Items

QuietEarth
29-12-2009, 19:23
This is a really easy question but just I'm getting back into fantasy and I've never used an item like this. When you have an item that gives you +1 to dispel, does that give you a +1 to every dispel attempt you make?

Taishar
29-12-2009, 19:36
Yes. So you roll your dice, then add +1 to the total.

Cheers

QuietEarth
29-12-2009, 19:59
Easy enough, thanks!

You could make a pretty nasty VC army with a Skull Staff, Staff of Sorcery, and a few Corpse Carts with Balefire.

The Red Scourge
29-12-2009, 20:04
Or just a high elf list with the staff of sorcery.

Nastiest thing I've seen was an allied HE/WE army with +2 to all dispel attempts and re-rollable dispel dice :cheese:

QuietEarth
29-12-2009, 20:28
Or just a high elf list with the staff of sorcery.

Nastiest thing I've seen was an allied HE/WE army with +2 to all dispel attempts and re-rollable dispel dice :cheese:

Yikes, do HE get a natural +1 to dispel?

nosferatu1001
29-12-2009, 20:32
Indeed they do. Counterpoint to the +1 to cast for Tzeentch.

narrativium
29-12-2009, 22:48
Yikes, do HE get a natural +1 to dispel?

Only with a mage.

Unuhexium
29-12-2009, 23:08
But then again, who doesn't take a mage these days?

havoc626
30-12-2009, 01:34
Hmm, I think Dwarfs might trump that though. I used to have a list that got +3 to dispel and would steal 1 power dice from the enemy's pool and add it to my Dispel pool, giving me a total of about 11 DD plus the bonus.

It was one of the few lists at my local club that could take on a magic heavy VC army and not get blown away in the magic phase.

JimmyFrank
30-12-2009, 01:59
The HE +1 is actually a counterpoint to the +1 to casting that DE used to have before the new rule book :)

Condottiere
30-12-2009, 03:04
I think that being allowed to use unlimited PD more than compensates.

JimmyFrank
30-12-2009, 14:30
I completely agree :D that plus that lovely d3 +1 power dice spell!! (I miss my DE :p)

narrativium
30-12-2009, 15:04
But then again, who doesn't take a mage these days?

I've played against HE twice at Grand Tournaments. Neither of them took any mages. Both games were draws.

theunwantedbeing
30-12-2009, 16:09
Yes. So you roll your dice, then add +1 to the total.

Cheers

Actually, you declare you are using the +1 to dispel item and then roll the dice.
You cannot roll the dice and declare the use of the item afterwards.

Page 109
but the player must declare he is using any magical items before he makes the dispel roll. He is not permitted to roll the dice and then decide to use an item retrospectively.

People get really annoyed at me when I point out to them.

As for dark elves getting to use as many dice as they like, I miss my +1 :(
One mage still seems adamant she gets her +1 still as she's forever missing the value of spells by 1.
I don't think Power of Darkness would be particularly unfair even with a +1 if you took away the ability to throw as many dice as you like at a spell. Simply as it would mean that PoD became a start of the turn thing for anyone who wasnt a high level mage and rolling very high could be potentially crippling for low level mages who simply dont have the spells to use all the dice :P

Condottiere
30-12-2009, 16:56
If one cannot utilize all of one's Power Die, perhaps one has to reconsider exactly how one employs that wizard.

Eumerin
30-12-2009, 18:05
If one cannot utilize all of one's Power Die, perhaps one has to reconsider exactly how one employs that wizard.

If I get four power dice from my Power of Darkness roll, then there also seems to be a decent chance that I'm going to miscast my very next spell and get the result that ends the magic phase prematurely - leaving me with one or two unused PoD dice.

>.<

iirc, there's also a magic item in one of the armies that ends your opponent's magic phase prematurely, although I don't remember which army gets it.

Condottiere
30-12-2009, 19:29
That would be the Lizzies with their Cube of Darkness.

stripsteak
30-12-2009, 19:47
or HE and their Vortex Shard...but that happens at the start fo phase and wouldn't hurt DE like cube can.