PDA

View Full Version : Law of Gold and Items with power spent

Ultimate Life Form
30-12-2009, 09:01
This came up the other day. My opponent Law of Golded my Temple Guard, much to my dismay. After reading the description of the spell, which says that I have to nominate one magic item that is carried by the unit, I came up with the idea to nominate the Champion's Blood Statuette of Spite which he had already used. The logic behind this:

I did use the Blood Statuette's one-use powers already, but nowhere it says that it is destroyed after using its powers or loses its magic item status (or am I missing something from the rules?), so technically, I'm still in possession of the Blood Statuette and therefore can nominate the item for Law of Gold purposes every time it comes up, which would equal absolute immunity to the spell's effects. The same would also apply to items which have already been permanently Law of Golded as the spell says it cannot be used, but not that it's destroyed.

Since I saw that this is clearly not in the spirit of the rules, I resorted to nominating the Slann's Power Stone which he didn't have any use for anyway (yes, it was still a fully charged, intact Power Stone), but I'm still interested. Is there any official word on this?

Von Wibble
30-12-2009, 13:30
I would claim that a magic item that has had its power exhausted is surely by definition not a magic item. An Itxi Grub that has been eaten can hardly be deemed magic (unless the spell gets into the Slann's digestive system - not something that bears thinking about). A magic sword that has had its power removed is surely just a sharp piece of metal.

By the letter of the rules as is you are absolutely correct. But imo you are also correct to say it isn't in the spirit of the rules and even more so to not choose to take advantage by nominating a different item.

Ultimate Life Form
30-12-2009, 13:45
Thanks for the reply. Another question:

Let's assume a unit with one Magic Item is Law of Golded and nominates said Magic Item. The Item is disabled, but not permanently. Now if the same unit gets Law of Golded again in the same turn, does it have to nominate the same item again for the chance of being destroyed permanently, or does the spell fizzle?

If the unit has two Magic Items, can I nominate the item that has already been disabled because I want to protect the other one (after all the spell could still affect the item by destroying it) or do I have to nominate the other item?

enyoss
30-12-2009, 13:56
Let's assume a unit with one Magic Item is Law of Golded and nominates said Magic Item. The Item is disabled, but not permanently. Now if the same unit gets Law of Golded again in the same turn, does it have to nominate the same item again for the chance of being destroyed permanently, or does the spell fizzle?

If the unit has two Magic Items, can I nominate the item that has already been disabled because I want to protect the other one (after all the spell could still affect the item by destroying it) or do I have to nominate the other item?

Until the magic item has been destroyed, it still counts as a magic item. So should the spell get through for a second time, as the owning player you could nominate the disabled item again if you didn't want to nominate another. If the disabled item was the only magic item in the unit then your opponent would get another roll to see if it was disabled (no further effect), or destroyed.

EDIT: Note that I would class items previously drained by the Law of Gold to be `destroyed' for these purposes.