PDA

View Full Version : Magical warplightnings?

maswalaki
30-12-2009, 14:14
I wonder if the lighnings from the doomwheel or the cannon are magical or not (thus subject to the storm banner as well). There are no texts saying they are, and given they generated in the old fashioned way, they shouldn't be magical.

But as with most of the warpstone technology of the skavens, they might count as magical, as per 'generated by warpstone engines' or such...

Lord Zarkov
30-12-2009, 15:11
The Warplightning Cannon is magical - it is a 'Warpstone Weapon' (Firing the Cannon, 3rd Paragraph, half way down)

The Doomwheel bolts are as well (Zzzzap! paragraph 2, last line)

Infact all ranged Skyre weapons are, as is the Plague Claw Catapult.

JimmyFrank
30-12-2009, 15:25
p.67 under "Zzzzap!" in the doomwheel rules:
"The zzzzap bolts are warpstone weapons"

p.68 under the Warplighning Cannon rules:
"It is a warpstone weapon"

p.33
"Warpstone weapon: ...attacks from weapons with this special rule count as magical."

Now in the matter of the storm banner, when it mentions "magical missiles" I believe it is refering to magic missiles - the type of spell.
The rule "warpstone weapons" makes them "magical attacks" - it does not make them "magical missiles". These are two different things.

Hope this helped :)

Lord Zarkov
30-12-2009, 15:35
Storm banner wording is "all non-magical missile attacks that don't use BS to hit..." so IMO it doesn't seem to be referencing "magic missiles" (the spell type) (and indeed would have no effect on other spells).
Hence it would appear that it has no effect on any magical weapons that don't make a BS roll (i.e. most skaven warmachines, most Runic warmachines, Hellcannons, Warlock Engineer magic items, etc)

XLast_Of_The_OrderX
30-12-2009, 16:04
From all the games I've played with my Skaven or watched other people playing, Lord Zarkov is absolutely correct.

Nurgling Chieftain
30-12-2009, 21:13
..."magical missiles" I believe it is refering to magic missiles...That's not correct at all. "Magical missiles" is a distinct term from "magic missiles" and the two should not be conflated or confused. All "magic missiles" are "magical missiles" but there are quite a few "magical missiles" which are not "magic missiles".

JimmyFrank
30-12-2009, 21:56
Fair enough, its good to know how others have been playing it. Gotta love the wording in the skaven book, I would have thought Vetock would have specified "Magical attacks" instead of saying "magical missiles" which I'm sure you agree, is unnecessarily confusing.

stripsteak
30-12-2009, 22:12
if he had just said 'magical attacks' it would affect magical melee as well since they would than be magical attacks that don't use BS to hit :P

Desolate
01-01-2010, 09:08
Agree to what Lord dude said