PDA

View Full Version : Rank bonuses and combat res

Xenthick
30-12-2009, 16:10
Rules question. When calculating combat resolution, you get a rank bonus of +1 for each rank you have over your opponent up to +3. My interpretation of this rule is to say "Each rank you have more then your opponent you get +1 combat res for it, up to +3" However, a friend of mine whom I havent played in a while and I had a game recently and he said that you only count the first three ranks. So as an example of how I understood it one unit of 30 against a unit of 10 in ranks of 5 would get +3. However, his interpretation would leave you with +2, as it only counts the first three ranks (meaning that I have 2 ranks more then my opponent up to the max of 3). Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks bundles.

graymer
30-12-2009, 16:14
You get +1 for each full rank after the first in a unit, up to a maximum of +3.

Example:

Unit of 25 Dwarf Longbeards = +3 CR

First rank of 5 = doesn't count
Second rank of 5 = +1
Third rank of 5 = +1
Fourth rank of 5 = +1
Fifth rank of 5 = doesn't count

The Red Scourge
30-12-2009, 16:16
You're both wrong. Check the BRB p.38, it holds all the answers :p

amysrevenge
30-12-2009, 16:18
To go further, it does not matter what your opponenet has, as you seem to be implying. You can both get up to the +3.

In your example, you would get +3 for your 3 ranks, and he would get +1 for his 1 rank.

In many cases it amounts to the same thing, but for very large units it does not. If you faced 40 goblins in 8 ranks against 20 longbeards in 4 ranks, you would still both get the full +3 rank bonus.

enyoss
30-12-2009, 16:18
This should really be in the rules forum, but I see that you're new here :).

Basically, you count your own combat resolution due to ranks without looking at your opponent's unit, and your opponent does the same.

So, for your example:

The player with the unit of 30, in ranks of 5, would count +3 towards his score, for the three ranks behind the first. Although there are actually five ranks behind the first, only the first three count.

The player with the unit of 10, in ranks of 5, would count +1 towards his score, for the single rank behind the first.

On a related note, remember that ranks for combat resolution are calculated at the start of combat, not the end.

graymer
30-12-2009, 16:24
You're both wrong. Check the BRB p.38, it holds all the answers :p

How is my example wrong? I'm at work and don't have the BRB in front of me.

The Red Scourge
30-12-2009, 16:27
Enyoss explained it good :)

You just ninjaed me graymer :p

Xenthick
30-12-2009, 16:34
Thanks all, completely cleared up. Sadly this sort of thing has been happening to be frequently lately. Lots of misinterpreted rules. And I will post such questions in the appropriate forum from now on.

Ultimate Life Form
30-12-2009, 16:45
Thanks all, completely cleared up. Sadly this sort of thing has been happening to be frequently lately. Lots of misinterpreted rules. And I will post such questions in the appropriate forum from now on.

Oh, no biggie. With GW's stellar ruleswriting skills, misinterpretations are bound to happen all the time. As long as you ask in the right forum, we're cool with it. :)

Braad
31-12-2009, 09:21
Maybe it would be quite cool though, if units had bonusses for ranks exceeding that of the opponent... Large block cheap infantry would get a use again, as most elite enemies also are fielded in blocks large enough to get the max rank bonus nowadays...

Hakkapelli
31-12-2009, 10:02
The only problem with that, Braad, would be that everyone would deploy as deep as possible to decrease the enemy rank bonus or get a point of SCR or their own. I know that I'd rather see wider units then deeper.

RGB
31-12-2009, 17:18
The only problem with that, Braad, would be that everyone would deploy as deep as possible to decrease the enemy rank bonus or get a point of SCR or their own. I know that I'd rather see wider units then deeper.

The most obvious solution to that would be to require units to be at least as wide as they are deep to claim rank CR.

No-restriction ranks with a wide-as-deep requirement would actually make horde infantry viable again.

Charistoph
31-12-2009, 19:05
Maybe it would be quite cool though, if units had bonusses for ranks exceeding that of the opponent... Large block cheap infantry would get a use again, as most elite enemies also are fielded in blocks large enough to get the max rank bonus nowadays...

<Looks at the Combat Resolution Chart> I KNOW there's a bonus for outnumbering here. Not quite what you meant, you actually want the bonus to be better.

Condottiere
01-01-2010, 03:41
Being broader by itself shouldn't create additional CR, since the advantage already passes to the broader unit allowing more frontage to strike the opposing unit.

Braad
01-01-2010, 07:42
<Looks at the Combat Resolution Chart> I KNOW there's a bonus for outnumbering here. Not quite what you meant, you actually want the bonus to be better.

True, but this was a bit different. Maybe not the best solution anyway.

What about:
Rank bonus, up to a max of 4 or 5.
Outnumbering: CR +1
Outnumbering 2:1 or more: additional CR +1

And for a rank bonus exceeding +3, you need at least 6 files, to make sure people don't make very long units.

ChaosBeast
01-01-2010, 11:50
but wouldn't it be easier to flank very deep units so there is an inherent disadvantage their that might stop lots of very deep units

Braad
01-01-2010, 17:08
Not necessarily, I think, if you cover them wel enough. I think the most difficulties will come from terrain (stuck for longer) and maneuvring.

Condottiere
01-01-2010, 17:40
It would be careless to leave the flanks of a major column open to attack.

yabbadabba
01-01-2010, 17:49
How about:

Current rank bonus
+1 for outnumbering
+1 for being wider (more files than enemy (summed to the front)
+1 for having more ranks than the enemy

Or lose the autobreak for being outnumbered by fear causing enemy, lose current rank bonus system.

+1 for each additional rank more than enemy - no limit

Waddya think?

Crube
01-01-2010, 19:49
Thread moved to WFB Rules

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

Griefbringer
01-01-2010, 19:57
I think this is already heading towards the rules development side, based on the latest responses...

Aethlion dyra Ferralgaard
04-01-2010, 13:26
These alterations are great and all,.. but I doubt many Bretonnian players would be hip for it,..

+1 for being wider (more files than enemy (summed to the front)

Lance would always be down by 1,.. no matter what,.. kinda would be a kick in the,.....

'Course,.. I can't find a happy Ogre Kingdom player about the 5 wide ranking rules,..

I would think that the 2:1, 3:1 alteration would work,.. I'd like to see that and my opponents play goblins,.. it only seems to make sense that you get more than just "+1" for having significantly more models on the board,.. shouldn't GW be REWARDING those players who buy massive number of models?!

While we're on the topic,.. this could be all cleared up,.. by bringing back that lapping rule,.. whatever happened to that dinosaur?!