PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Amry which units get full command by rule of thumb?

pestario
31-01-2006, 13:26
From what I have read I am looking for confirmation on how to setup/model my Dwarves and need to figure what I need for command etc.

From what I have read so far it looks like generally

Warriors Any get full command 20+ unit size
Longbeards Any get full command 20+ unit size
hammerers Any get full command 15+ unit size
ironbreakers Any get full command 15+ unit size

quarrlers no command small units around 10
rangers no command small units around 10
Thunderers no command small units around 10

Slayers ???
Miners ???(Dont plan on using but dont know much about dwarves yet)

Keller
31-01-2006, 14:59
I'm not dwarf expert, but larger units of quarrlers or thunderers, say 16-20, can be effective, as they can double as combat units. All of the dwarven units are tough, so giving your archers some command and bulk can allow them to reform and fight off most units when they get near.

Sylass
31-01-2006, 15:12
I'm not dwarf expert, but larger units of quarrlers or thunderers, say 16-20, can be effective, as they can double as combat units. All of the dwarven units are tough, so giving your archers some command and bulk can allow them to reform and fight off most units when they get near.
Agreed. :)

I'd always try to use at least 12 model strong units of crossbowdwarfs or thunderers. 15 or 16 would be my favourite choice, but it might be hard to line them up without 'wasting' points. 12 models are easier to line up in a single line.

That way you have your regular shooting unit and in addition the unit can either serve as a support unit for your main combat units or defend itself (4x3 formation, st, mu, maybe even a champion, if you have the points spare, shields -> 4+ save in combat on top of WS4, T4, LD9) against smaller enemy units trying to take out your missile weapons.

Atzcapotzalco
31-01-2006, 18:24
All dwarf units should have command groups, even the missile units. While tough and solid, none of the combat units, which includes slayers and miners, are the sort of heavy duty units which can rely on casualties alone to win a combat, so the standard bearer is always important.
Regarding the missile units, your army isn't mobile enough to stop an enemy preying on weak units, but with a full command group, sufficient numbers to form up into three or four ranks and either shields or great weapons they aren't a weak unit. So again, they should always have the command group.

Keller
31-01-2006, 20:14
I would worry too much about giving up the extra points for banners in units that are too weak and likely to see combat. Miners and Rangers spring to mind. I wouldn't give those standards, since I would probably only take a unit of 12-15 to harass the enemy why the main line moves closer.

Quarrlers and Thunderers shouldn't be fighting too powerful of units, so they have a good chance to win and justify a standard. Anything tough coming for your lines should have a more combat-oriented unit sent to deal with it.

oma
01-02-2006, 15:48
why longbeards 20+ but ironbreakers and hammerers 15+?

Frankly
01-02-2006, 23:27

Hmmmm, yes and no.

I thought about this when I first started playing dwarves, a few problems I found were these;

Deploying a line of 16 to 20 x-bows effectively was a problem, it also is a problem later on with troop movement blocking LOS etc, etc, and reform before becoming a solid unit can be a waste of a turn.

A static dwarf line is rarely static it moves to inreaction to the opponents to take or negate the opponents charges. x-bow can either shoot or move.

Fleeing, I love fleeing with my shooty units, its one of the best ways to set up counter attacks, fleeing with 16-20 models is pretty costly.

10 dwarves are perfect flanking units, actually they are combat winners when they hit the flank, its rare that the unit needs more than it bare minimum be be effective as a flank charge.

I suppose actually it comes down to gaming style more than anything. I think that small units of shooty dwarves fill a niche in an armylist, of a flexible little unit that can multi-task without being to costly.

archonbrujah
01-02-2006, 23:46
Myself I find that all of my Dwarf regiments get a full command. I cannot count the number of times that someone has bogged down in my HtH line and a timely charge from a reformed missile regiment has turned the tide of that battle, and then the game.

Also, I find that I must laugh when an opponent sends a fairly weak flying unit at my missile troops, only to have the missile unit send them packing. I usually have 11 Thunderers and 12 Crossbows with FC. Also, my Rangers usually run at 13 with FC, lookinf forward to trying the new Rune which allows a character to deploy with Scouts or Miners.

Archonbrujah

Kohhna
02-02-2006, 00:29
iirc Slayers get mutiple unit leaders. If you take command it depends on wether you want them as a proper fighting unit or a speed-bump.

Crazy Harborc
02-02-2006, 20:16
I don't give 10 shooters full command. Sometimes I add a marksman, normally I add shields to Thunderers or Crossbows. It's very seldom that I use more than 10 shooters in a shooting unit.

With Dwarves, I spend the points for added shields for all/as many as I can, of my Dwarve's shooting units.

Tuesday night, 10 Thunderers (w/shields), standing behind a hedge, held off a unit of 15 DoW pikes for two game turns.:D That same unit of handguns shot the heck out of them before they reached the hedgeline.

I hope I've got the Dwarves out of my system now......until I have the new armybook for them.

Steel_Legion
03-02-2006, 20:40
I usually give my thunderers a musician, because they almost always get shot at and break, so the musicians nice, as for the veteran, they usually dont see CC, so i dont bother with him, as the only advantage is really his extra attack and brace of pistols, i think if my thunderers have got in CC, its usually game over for me.

Gratnuk Ironfist
04-02-2006, 05:39
Well I usually use 15 thunderers with SH and never given them anything more than that. I feel if you need to give your missile units command you are using them wrong other than that, I always have command in longbeards and warriors, then a Vet and Musician in the miners and rangers and that's it unless I have enough points to put a vet in the slayers.