command 40
banner + 1 CR

war hydra 175

5 harpies 55

1 bolt thrower 100

1 bolt thrower 100

5 shades 80

chariot 100

against non magic lists i normally would swap out the sorceress models for a pegasus lord with pendent and regenerate and beef up the assassin.

kyussinchains
30-12-2009, 22:26
never ever ever give a sorceress the ring of hotek!! it affects friendly magic as well as the enemy!

it's generally not a good idea to mount sorceresses on cold ones either as if they go stupid you can't cast spells......

what's this about 'battle standard' in the cold one unit? you mean a master with the battle standard or something else?

leeoaks
30-12-2009, 23:32
they dont cast!!! i have 4 power dice! again she is just a scroll caddy and the knights are good protection.

Lythurienne
31-12-2009, 01:56
sorceress 100
cold one 20

Uhm. Stupidty test fail = no casty casty.

sorceress 100
hotec 25

Reread the description on the ring carefully and go give it to the CoK champion.

5 shades 80

No Great Weapons?

leeoaks
31-12-2009, 06:41
they dont cast. they are anti magic. i have read the rules, i would need to invest about 300pts to make magic work!

tmarichards
31-12-2009, 11:05
Put the sorceress on foot (that way she can hide in a forest or behind a hill), give the Ring to the COK Champion.

Shades work best in units of 6-8.

I'd take spearmen over corsairs, they're less durable against shooting but cheaper. Better yet, swap them out and take dark rider with xbows and a musician.

I'd suggest taking Black Guard over Executioners, give the unit champion Crimson Death (or the RIng of Hotek) and the Standard Bearer the ASF banner. You'll only need 14 of them to make a mess out of virtually anything.

Maybe a second chariot if you can find the points?

The SkaerKrow
31-12-2009, 11:41
The Sorceresses are both pure magic defense, without any intent on actually casting spells. Now, with that said, I'd drop the Sorceress on Cold One in favor of a Master on Cold One with the Seal of Ghrond. Give the Ring of Hotek to your Cold One Champion. You now have the same extra dispel dice, the Ring of Hotek and a character that will actually increase the killing power of your Knight unit.

Corsairs have better synergy with the Cauldron of Blood than Warriors do, as they bring more attacks to bear on the charge (which can be quite nasty when under the Killing Blow blessing from the Cauldron of Blood). For that reason, I can understand bringing them over Warriors.

If you add a Master to your Cold One Knights, considering dropping the War Banner from that unit and adding the Banner of Murder (Armor Piercing) to your Executioners. This gives you the flexibility of either fighting with Great Weapons or Hand Weapons effectively (S6 -4 AS ASL vs. S4 -2 AS). Alternatively, you could give the Sea Serpent Standard to one of your Corsair units, assuming that you're comfortable with Frenzy (the extra attacks make them even more potent when granted Killing Blow).

Your Assassin's kit leaves a lot to be desired. Though I hate to steer people towards compulsory options, the Rune of Khaine is almost mandatory for any Assassin. Without it, you'll find that Assassins are usually hard pressed to kill everything in base contact with them. As they have next to no defensive options, overwhelming offense is often an Assassin's best protection.

Finally, as much as I like Cold One Chariots, one really isn't enough to do anything noteworthy. I would drop the Chariot in favor of another unit of Harpies, using the points that are left over to beef up your Shades with at least one additional Shade and either Additional Hand Weapons or Great Weapons.

leeoaks
31-12-2009, 14:22
thanks skaer, the other option would be a hag bsb always striking first do i need that extra dd? i will make ammendments.the chariot when combined with corsairs i have found useful a joint charge will give ranks and kills.

The SkaerKrow
31-12-2009, 15:15
Well, if you have one Sorceress w/ 2 Dispel Scrolls and a Ring of Hotek, you're brandishing three dispel dice each turn and can only reliably shut down two spells before your opponent's casters can have a field day with you. The extra dice will bring you up to four, and enable you to effectively combat two lower end spells or one more powerful one, even after your scrolls are exhausted. I never leave home with less than four Dispel Dice, but that's just me. The Ring of Hotek certainly helps, but against spells cast on a single dice (including, but not limited to, sniper spells that will attack your Ring Bearer) or those cast outside of its influence, it won't be a factor.

The problem with giving your Executioners a Hag BSB with the Standard of Hag Graef is that it will enable people to cause the unit to chase shadows. That said, if you're comfortable with the liability of Frenzy then feel free to throw it in there, because it's a nasty (and surprisingly underused) combination. Just be aware that your Death Hag will become an incredible target for challenges and any other nastiness that your opponent can throw her way. I'd suggest that the Rune of Khaine becomes mandatory for her, and potentially Manbane, as you're absolutely going to want her to kill anything and everything in base contact.

I love Chariots, I just prefer them in pairs. They seem to do much better when fielded in multiples, as the redundancy can help mitigate Stupidity, and the opportunity to allocate 2D6+2 S5 Impact Hits against an enemy unit always makes for a good time.

leeoaks
31-12-2009, 15:34
sorry i mean the asf banner. Executioners with asf and the cob to give them 2 str6 hatred and killing blow. the hag would dish out about 6-7 str 4/5 attacks.

The SkaerKrow
31-12-2009, 15:37
The Standard of Hag Graef is the ASF Banner ;).

Even with the multiple attack blessing, I'd still give her the Rune of Khaine as well. She's a T3 BSB with no armor. It would behoove you to ensure that there's nothing left standing once she and her unit make their attacks. If she gets sucked into a challenge, she won't have her Executioners to help her kill her way out of trouble.

leeoaks
31-12-2009, 15:51
This would be in the second round of combat as the unit champ would go first and if i have lost the combat i'm either fighting a brick wall or i have messed up! the other option i quite like is a hero on dark pegasus. i could re-jig and sqeeze him in so that i would have a flying threat with the extra dispel and he can still seek refuge in the knights.

The SkaerKrow
31-12-2009, 16:35
Masters on Dark Pegasi don't have the attack profile to accomplish much, but I'll fully admit that it's a configuration that I haven't tried first-hand.

kyussinchains
31-12-2009, 18:13
Masters on Dark Pegasi don't have the attack profile to accomplish much, but I'll fully admit that it's a configuration that I haven't tried first-hand.

you'd be surprised, with a lance, 3 S6 and 2 S5 attacks all with hatred re-rolls comes in quite handy against light cavalry, war machine crew, lone characters and is nice when supporting a charge from a ranked unit, I often take a master on a pegasus and usually had good results.

Not bad for a model I converted from a bret pegasus due to having a spare cold one knight torso I didn't want to waste!

The SkaerKrow
31-12-2009, 18:46
I tend to use Dark Riders for those purposes which, while lacking the high strength attacks, compensate with their ability to break ranks on flank and rear charges.

leeoaks
31-12-2009, 22:54
"Not bad for a model I converted from a bret pegasus due to having a spare cold one knight torso I didn't want to waste!"

ditto.

i did the same with bits.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/leeoaks/SDC10550.jpg

check out his back ha....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/leeoaks/SDC10551.jpg

i will drop the mage and add in this bad boy and test it out.

kyussinchains
01-01-2010, 00:12
my advice is to use him without any magic items, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, shield and lance.... although from time to time I do like to give him the ring of hotek and fly close to the enemy wizards

The SkaerKrow
01-01-2010, 02:12
As an aside lee, your conversion strikes me as an interesting take on the Chimera. You should let us know when you get it painted.

leeoaks
01-01-2010, 09:18
will do i have a project log. I am in the early stages with painting i have only just stuck together and converted the army.

"As an aside lee, your conversion strikes me as an interesting take on the Chimera. You should let us know when you get it painted."

its a baby in training.

leeoaks
05-01-2010, 22:04
i am doing a 2500pts game this is pretty much all i have its against dwarfs then another against wood elves.

dred lord 140
lance 6
sea dragon cloak 6
dark pegsus 50
armour of servitude 35
pendent of khaeleth 35

hag bsb 115
standard of hag greaf 35
dark venom 10
rune of khaine 25

sorceress 100
scroll 25
scroll 25

cob 200

repeater crossbowmen 100

20 corsairs 200
command 25

20 corsairs 200
command 25

18 executioners 216
command 30

5 cold one knights 135
hotec 25

war hydra 175

5 harpies 55

1 bolt thrower 100
1 bolt thrower 100

5 shades 80

chariot 100

assassin 90
death stars 35

any improvement tweaks??

tmarichards
05-01-2010, 22:23
You've got to put a champion on the COKs before they can take the Ring of Hotek.

Give the Assassin manbane.

You'll only really need 14 Black Guard, deploying them in two ranks is the best IMO. If you put the Sorceress and BSB in there then they'll be in two ranks of 8 with the cauldron behind them giving them a 5+ ward. Keeps them manoueverablem and frees up a few extra points.

I know you're playing against Dwarfs, but against the Wood Elves you're very vulnerable to mgic- with just 3 DD and 3 scrolls, he'll draw out the dice each phase then Treesing all over you. Try and at least fit in the Seal of Ghrond, or alternatively take another level 1 with the Seal instead of the Hag BSB, then give the BG the Standard of Hag Graef.

leeoaks
05-01-2010, 22:34
i dont have black guard? i wouldnt put the sorceress and the bsb in the fragile executioners they would be blown away in the 1st turn. Again the numbers are there so that if someone wants them dead they have to waste a few shots. We never take masses of magic we find the games less fun, like wise we try not to min max anything. i wont see more than 4 levels of magic and a bound tree sing.

i missed the command on the knights...good spot! i will ammend!

tmarichards
05-01-2010, 22:55
Whoops, sorry so used to using BG that I meant them instead of executioners...

My bad :(

LKHERO
05-01-2010, 22:55
Armor of Midnight and Pendant on the Lord with Crimson Death.

leeoaks
06-01-2010, 07:23
" Armor of Midnight and Pendant on the Lord with Crimson Death. "
i cant see armour of midnight in the book???

is this configuration better than the set up i have?

at the moment he has a 2+ save and 1+ vs shooting a ward save that stops big hits and a regen save.

he will hunt light cav and machines and support bigger combats.

tmarichards
06-01-2010, 12:12
Might mean Armour of Darkness...

I prefer to use this on a model on foot, usually a BSB with the Ring of Hotek hiding in a Black Guard Unit.

I'd stick with what you're running already.

leeoaks
06-01-2010, 21:58
yeah i think for his job role he will do just fine!! any other tweaks?

LKHERO
06-01-2010, 22:27
Might mean Armour of Darkness...

I prefer to use this on a model on foot, usually a BSB with the Ring of Hotek hiding in a Black Guard Unit.

I'd stick with what you're running already.

Yes, my mistake. So many dark things..

tmarichards
06-01-2010, 23:38
Just manbane on the assassin, gives you another option for pinging big gribblies at range

Zentdiam
07-01-2010, 01:49
The sorceress even at lvl 1 still has a decent chance of the magic missile due to power of darkness. I have found opponents can be caught off guard when a power of darkness allows 3 power dice to cast a nasty higher lvl spell. Never fully discount it. Putting the Sorceress on the cold one adds nothing besides a unit str 1 fear and a stupidity test. Better to at least put one on a dark steed.

LKHERO
07-01-2010, 07:04
Just manbane on the assassin, gives you another option for pinging big gribblies at range

Why? To save points? Either go big or don't bring one. You want either Rune of Khaine for CC or Stars + Manebane for overall (deployed in Shades if you're going Star).

Should be 151 points for EHW + those.

tmarichards
07-01-2010, 07:59
Why? To save points? Either go big or don't bring one. You want either Rune of Khaine for CC or Stars + Manebane for overall (deployed in Shades if you're going Star).

Should be 151 points for EHW + those.

I mean he should put it on the assassin, accrding to the OP he doesn't have it- I find it the best thing to take on the assassin straight off unless you're planning on trying to Killing Blow the enemy characters.