PDA

View Full Version : Another army I might think if starting...VC

the_night_reaper
31-01-2006, 14:35
Another army I'm thinking about starting is the Vampire Counts.

This army has a theme to it:
I could write up a whole fluff story but I'll leave that to if I decide to buy the army. Basically it's a Powerful Duke of Sylvania who was turned into a Vampire and now he serves the undead legions with him and the few servants and pets who lived his castle before they were attacked and "enlisted". The servants would be a large unit of grave guards or some black knights and a few necromancers. And the pets would be a couple units of dire wolves and some fell bats. Ghouls can be added in there too somehow, somehting about surrounding villages.

anyway the list:

Characters: 829pts

Necrach Vampire Lord: lvl3(4), Nehekhara's Noble Blood, wristbands of black gold, sword of might.-430
Necromancer: lvl 2, black periapt, book of arkhan-149pts
Necromancer: lvl 2, 2x dispel scroll-150pts
Necromancer: lvl 2-100pts

Core: 691pts

20 skeletons: full command, spears, light armour-245pts
16 zombies-96pts
15 zombies-90pts
20 ghouls-160pts
5 dire wolves-50pts
5 dire wolves-50pts

Special: 480pts or 475pts

5 fell bats-100pts
2x 6 black knights: full command-380pts
or
20 Grave Guard: halberds, shields full command-375pts

2000pts
12 power dice+black periapt (so probably another one)
7 dispel dice+2 scrolls
102 or 110 models+ 4 magic users with invocation:evilgrin:

At first look it doesn't look very solid, but when you add strategy to it, it looks much more promising. The basic stragety will have all my heros in the skeleton unit. I'll have my vampire lord and 1 necromancer raising the dead into the skeleton unit for a few turns with the lord using 3rd lvl invocation and the necromancer 2nd. And the other 2 necromancer using 2nd lvl on the 2 zombie units that will be infront of the skeleton unit and have a front rank of 10 for proper screening. If I use the black knights, the ghouls will also go behind this zombie screen, if im using grave guard the ghouls will screen them.
If using black knights, the will run down the flank and detroy units with one unit of knights in the front and one in the flank, or if possible, both in the flank so I avoid spears and champions.
the fell bats and dire wolves will be doing their usual business of stopping march moves, fleeing hunting lone mages or characters or taking down warmachines.

So what do you think? I personally think it looks good but I have no experience playing with the vampire counts and little against them.

Str10_hurts
31-01-2006, 14:42
Ehhh...the lists illigal I think. A vampire lord takes up 2 hero slots. Were a count (lv2) only 1.

the_night_reaper
31-01-2006, 15:13
Oh darn forget about that. Well that can be easily fixed.

Here are the changes:

Swap Lord with Count; they use the same equipment
make my zombie units 18 and 17 strong
add power familiar to the necromancer with no equipment
I think this might actually be more effective.

Now what do you guys think?

chbster
31-01-2006, 17:38
Way to big on the gouls, split them up in at least two groups.
I would go for Strigoi vamp instead the necrach. You will still have enough PD to controll the magic completely, especially when you cast many low cost ivocations, while at the same time having a great close combat monster. Regeneration, summon gouls, +1S. Guess you cant find a better combination.
And definitly take the power familiar with you on one of the necros.
You will also have to swap around the magic items of the other necros, both having a scroll plus one the book of A, to other the periapt.

Else rather similar to an setup i have won many massacres with. I just tend to have some more goul groups of 7. Three or four are really good to field.

You might also consider to only field two units woth only 12 zombies and add another skellie regiment instead. Works the best to what i have found out. Three nice big units and the zombies to keep the flanks.

gunlinetastic
31-01-2006, 18:22
I think I would be rather unhappy to face so much magic in a 2000pt game. I know Vampire Counts need it more than most, but cant you drop a couple of powerdice at least?

Lafeel Abriel
31-01-2006, 20:05
I think I would be rather unhappy to face so much magic in a 2000pt game. I know Vampire Counts need it more than most, but cant you drop a couple of powerdice at least?
Says the guy who has more gunpowder in his army than Guy Fawkes..I would actually like to see those armies meet..Such a pair of extremes meeting should be fun to see..

gunlinetastic
31-01-2006, 21:00
Says the guy who has more gunpowder in his army than Guy Fawkes..I would actually like to see those armies meet..Such a pair of extremes meeting should be fun to see..

Not fun to play though. And you cant even begin to compare what I have in my army with the cheesiness of this list. There is to much magic, and its very frustrating having to watch as your opponant casts spells and there is nothing you can do about it. With shooting you can relax, safe in the knowledge that you couldnt have done anything about it anyway.

the_night_reaper
31-01-2006, 21:28
Not fun to play though. And you cant even begin to compare what I have in my army with the cheesiness of this list. There is to much magic, and its very frustrating having to watch as your opponant casts spells and there is nothing you can do about it. With shooting you can relax, safe in the knowledge that you couldnt have done anything about it anyway.

And that's better how?At least in my list there is a way of stopping it.
I'm not really sure what your talking about chbster with the smaller units and the strigoi vampire. Maybe a little more detail? thanks

chbster
31-01-2006, 22:24
Dont know what is more frustrating playing against hellfire, cannons and mortars or a heavy magic list. Empire at least does not fall appart if they dont go heavy on artillery/shooting. VC collapses if they do not have any magic. Its in the fluff you might say....

About the gouls. You will not be able to manuver a 20 man strong scirmisher unit to where it should be. Scirmishers should be in between the others formations. Thats where you can inflict the most damage. And you simply dont manage to get many more then 8 or 9 figures into these positions. At the same time you also lover the points of the unit that much that its not really worth to go after them with the bigger units. Also for screening you wont need more then 8-9 in a unit. Remember they are scrimishers, T4 and if used for screening normally inside the Generals leadership.
These small groups of gouls can be the most dangerous in your whole army if you play them right.
I never leave home without at least three or four units. There is not that light cav unit i have ripped to bits with these nice little fellas.

About picking Strigoi instead of Necrach. If you dont want to field a Lord (which i think is very wise) You want a count that 1. will be able to survive the battle 2. give you some PD and 3. is able to support your skellies in CC.

You wont find any better then WS7 T5 5+WS plus regeneration, possible for van carstein but then you dont get the PD. Blood Dragon will enable you a very good normal As, but will give you one less PD, and it will never beat the WS and regeneration. So stayingpower you have the strongest with a Strigoi.

And when it comes to cc, giving the strigoi Iron Sinews you end up with 5 WS7 St6 + reroll in first combat round monster. If you just keep these skellies behind him comming you should not be able to loose him, Remember to refill his lifepoints though when its needed.

the_night_reaper
01-02-2006, 14:05
I actually get one less power wice with strigoi and the necrarch isn't that bad in combat with the equipment he has. 4 S6 attacks is pretty good. He's definately not as survivable but he'll have a huge amount of skellies backing him up he won't take that many wounds, and if he does they can be regenerated using invocation.

Crube
01-02-2006, 14:11
I'd certainly split the ghouls in to maybe 3 units (7, 7, and 6) They're far more irritating to play against like that...

The fell bats and Black Knights option should give you more manoeuvrability (sp) and therefore more options in-game. The Grave Guard are a nice choice, but a little too static IMO...

chbster
01-02-2006, 15:03
Still i think you gain from getting that one less PD but your General is safer!
You must know doe to the crumble rule everybody will try to snipe your General, and if they succeed you are in big troubles. Its simply not worth the danger for one PD!

the_night_reaper
01-02-2006, 15:37
I'm going to try von carstein instead because I don't really like the strigoi model.

Characters:

Von carstein Vampire Count: lvl2, The Carstein Ring, great weapon or 2 hand weapons
Necromancer: lvl 2, black periapt, book of arkhan
Necromancer: lvl 2, 2x dispel scroll
Necromancer: lvl 2, power familiar

Core:

20 skeletons: full command, spears, light armour
18 zombies
20 zombies
7 ghouls
7 ghouls
6 ghouls
5 dire wolves
5 dire wolves

Special:

5 fell bats
2x 6 black knights: full command

The now I changed the ghouls, The carstein guy is like the strigoi but a better ward save and no hatred. And depending on whether I go great weapon or add. hand weapon he'll be pretty good in combat too!

Crube
01-02-2006, 15:45
1 thought on the vampire...

I hate facing one with a great weapon, the only draw back is that you really need to choose your target carefully, as if your enemy is stil there after round 1, you strike last. potentially very bad news...

On balance, as he's the general, I'd say go with the 2nd hand weapon personally

the_night_reaper
01-02-2006, 23:15
So great weapon? Alright any other ideason the army and charaters? or isit perfect now?