PDA

View Full Version : need "latin" translation

Gorblitz
31-01-2006, 15:31
Much appreciated if someone could translate a phrase for me. I would like to translate either the generic "Suffer Not the Alien" or the more specific "Suffer Not the Ork" (this is obv taken from the Marine trait of 'Suffer Not the Alien To Live') into latin.

Additionally, a couple things:
-ideally it would say "Suffer Not the Ork", but I'm not sure if GW has ever given their "latin" form of Ork (I seem to recall they might have, as part of their Gorkamorka or other background material dealing with Orkoid biology); if a suitable form for Ork isn't around, then "Suffer Not the Alien" would be totally fine with me.

-my understanding of GW's "take" on latin is that it hasn't always been a correct or perfect use of the language; I'm not sure it would be applicable here, but if there was a way of "GW-ifying" it, I wouldn't be against it. :)

-not sure if I can explain this clearly, but is there a way of translating either phrase in a way that would be reminiscent of how papal encyclicals are titled? I want one of my marines, perhaps a Chappy, having a piece of parchment bearing this title, as if it were kinda like a 40k version of a papal encyclical, perhaps from the Ecclesiarchy or just from the chapter itself (being a devout chapter). The idea would be to represent this chapter trait as stemming from an Imperial "encyclical" of sorts that was given to the chapter sometime in the past (whether by the Ecclessiarchy, a past Chapter hero, or even the Inquisition).

I'm not really sure how Latin works, persay, but I would love it if I could find a translation evocative of something like Rerum Novarum, Redemptor Hominis, or Humanae Vitae (ie fairly short title that wouldn't look out of place in a list of encylicals).

Thanks for any help in advance; it'll be much appreciated! :D

Sai-Lauren
31-01-2006, 15:43
You could always look for English-Latin translators/dictionaries on Google, you know. ;)

Anyway, for suffer, I found this (http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl?Suffer) at the home of the Fighting Irish.

So maybe "Non Suffero Xenos" - Ork won't be translatable as is, although I'm sure GW's come up with some pseudo-latinised species name for them that you could probably use (try Xenology).

Khaine's Messenger
31-01-2006, 16:17
I would suggest doing a forum search before going much further...occasionally someone who's actually bothered to study Latin appears out of nowhere, and then here we are, twiddling our thumbs looking stupid. ;)

I imagine it would be something more like "Gravo Ork", though. Sounds ironically gutteral. *Google-chop!*

samw
31-01-2006, 16:26
The cryptozoological name for greenskins in general I believe is 'homo kobalis'.

Hence "non suffero kobalis" would work.

Gorblitz
31-01-2006, 16:31
You could always look for English-Latin translators/dictionaries on Google, you know. ;)

Which I thought of, but not knowing the conjugation stuff, I would be completely overwhelmed trying to figure out how to piece it together; plus I would still be ignorant of any idiomatic or similar elements that might help/hurt my efforts.

Anyway, for suffer, I found this (http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl?Suffer) at the home of the Fighting Irish.

Also, looking through that page, I'm wondering if this blurb wouldn't be better suited to the sense of "suffering" I'm looking for?

patior pati passus dep. [to suffer , undergo, experience; to permit, allow]. Hence partic. patiens -entis, [enduring, capable of enduring] with genit.; [patient]; in bad sense, [stubborn]. Adv. patienter.
Unfortunately, it's all "greek" to me - I've no idea how to replace the "non suffero" you gave with the option listed here. :confused:

BaronDG
31-01-2006, 16:50
Non patieris alienum vivere!

If you translate ork to Orcus (a god of the dead and where I think Tolkien, bless his memory got the inspiration from in the first place) you could substitute alienum for orcum.

Otherwise I think:

Orci necandi sunt

is rather a catchy phrase (the orcs must die).