PDA

View Full Version : "Bringers of a Bleak Dawn"

Caedis
31-12-2009, 23:40
Hi all.

I've written a new DE list based on the theme of a raiding fleet. Now there are some ideas i have for it for instance removing some corairs once i have the second hydra and adding in some dark riders, however i have a fairly tight budget and thus will not be doing this for a while. I have had a few suggestions on improvements from friends but if there's any tips or ideas anyone (particularly other DE players) wants to share i would be most thankful.

Cheers

Caedis

"Bringers of a Bleak Dawn"

Lord
"Khaidar the Undying" (Dreadlord)279/274
Armour of Servitude,Pendant of Khaeleth,Dagger of Hoeth/Whip of Agony,shield,sea dragon cloak,cold one.

Heroes
Lokhir Fellheart 250

"Liraeth Darklore" (Sorceress)175
Level 2,Tome of Furion,Dispell Scroll

"Saelir Shadowsoul" (Sorceress)185
Level 2, Focus Familiar,Dispell Scroll

Core

" Blackheart Brotherhood " 20 Corsairs 253
Full Command, Handbows, Leader has twin handbows, Banner of Murder

" Hargaths Pirahnas" 20 Corsairs 250
Full Command, Sea Serpent Standard

" Slavebait" 16 Dark Elf Warriors 142
Full Command,spear and shield, Banner of Cold Blood

" Shahedar Swiftblade"(Assassin) 160
Rune of Khaine, Manbane, Cloak of Twilight

Special

" Khaidars Slaveherders" 10 Cold One Knights 370
Full Command, Ring of Hotek, Standard of Slaughter

Rare

" Kirhaelich Lionbane " Hydra 175

Total Points =2239/2234

In the future will replace two members of "slavebait" and Shahedar Swiftblade with a second Hydra. :evilgrin:

kyussinchains
01-01-2010, 00:09
firstly I like the theme, unless you're equipping your lord with either the dagger of hotek or the whip of agony, he's illegal as you can't use two magic weapons....

I'd put the war banner on your spear unit, it's probably a better buy than the banner of cold blood (which is clearly intended for cold one knights)

As for the knights, I'd split them into two units of 5, much more flexible and less vulnerable to stupidity, especially as your lord is on a cold one too, 11 knights in a single unit is a huge unwieldy deathstar, and will be the target of every cannon, wizard and jezzail in the neighbourhood.

I'd probably stick extra hand weapons on the 'blackheart brotherhood' as they'll be in ranks of 5 you wont get many shots off and it will severely hamper your close combat abilities

The assassin is good, but I'd drop him to beef up the warriors unit to at least 21, if they're going to be a throwaway unit it's not worth giving them the command or magic standard, they seem to be a bit of a nothing unit as they stand, not enough numbers to be effective, too many points to be worth sacrificing.....

It might be worth getting a unit of harpies too, use them to screen your frenzied corsairs and stop them getting charge-baited all over the shop.

Finally a second hydra is a risk..... use it too much and people will want to stop playing you..... I cop enough flak for my single one (although my new one I got for xmas will be making an appearance very soon :evilgrin:)

tmarichards
01-01-2010, 00:23
Aye, as mentioned above you can't take 2 magical weapons. I find Crimson Death is a good, solid weapon to take, especially when combined with the immovable Dreadlord.

Don't take a second hydra!!!!!!!!!! Here are my reasons why:

1. Echoing Kyussinchains, who is seldom wrong- people will veiw you as a beardy player and not want to play you
2. It's 35 or so, a pair of plastic HE bolt throwers (adorn the crew with various spikey bits) will be around 24
3. One hydra and 2 RBTs gives you so many more tactial options

Apart from that, nice and themed. Lokhir is a gorgeous model, with some nice special rules. In a themed army, this makes up for his points cost.

Harpies would be a good idea, I find 2 units of 5 is good- they can shield frenzied stuff, force war machines to fire at them or simply claim table quarters. If yo don't like/can't get hold of the metal models, wait until the plastic gargoyles are released and use them with the plastic daemonettes (I think they'll look sick :D)

I'd definitely keep the assassin, but I would suggest you try him without Rune of Khaine and the Cloak, with Rending Stars. It gives you another ranged option against monsters, and I find that unless you have a magic phase that can draw out every last dispel dice the Cloak is not worth its points. This is just my opinion though.

In any case, good luck!

Caedis
02-01-2010, 07:52
Thanks for the tips :D I suppose my little shorthand is sometimes unclear, Khaidar is armed with EITHER the Dagger of Hotek or the Whip of agony.

The War Banner is a good suggestion Kyussinchains however my reasoning behind the banner of cold blood is that slavebait works as an assasin caddy and thus may need the leadership boost so as they don't flee before the assassin can get out.

A fair point about the Knights, i had considered this except in my occasional lapses of memory i forgot i didn't have to worry about the number of special units... as at the time of writing i was toying with a special unit heavy list.

As to the handbows in "Blackheart Brethren" i was under the impression that like pistols they count as an additional hand weapon in combat, and i figured the stand and shoot may be invaluable...

An interesting point about the warriors, the assassin was intended to be a little trick i could use to nullify characters/war machines/monsters.

I was considering harpies however the not counting as a core unit for minimum purposes does dissuade me a little.

Well so far in a few representative test games the hydra duo has done reasonably well (even against a High elf army containing a dragon mage and Prince on Star Dragon).
Still i see your point about opponents reactions i'll have to see how my regular gaming partners take the first one :D

Reaper bolt throwers... fair point, a little more static than my original idea and a little more expensive points wise still i'll think about it.
Very true point about the cloak on the assassin, will think about that...

Thanks for the tip about the Harpies tmarichards, it sounds sweet i'll have to try that.

Von Wibble
02-01-2010, 13:18
Repeater handbows do not count as hand weapons.

The army seems fine - though I think that the warrior unit would be better off with more bodies and the COK in 2 units as already stated. You could alternatively consider replacing a magic item with the sacrificial dagger and putting a sorceress with the unit. Removing the assassin and replacing with 2 units of harpies and some more warriors for the unit is a possibility.

Caedis
02-01-2010, 23:50
Thanks Von Wibble, it makes sense now as to why they're free...

Sacrificial dagger is a possiblility it's just that as the warriirs were considered a bait unit i didn't want a sorceress in there for obvious reasons.

Caedis
08-01-2010, 09:40
Hi all

Well after some consideration here is my revised list. I'm still toying with the possibility of using the box set and thus taking a unit of spearmen and/or repeater crossbowmen instead of one or both of the ten man corsair squads (giving Saelir Shadowsoul the sacrificial dagger if including warriors) but i think that this list fits more with the theme.

"Bringers of a Bleak Dawn"

Lord
"Khaidar the Undying" (Dreadlord) 274
Armour of Servitude,Pendant of Khaeleth, Whip of Agony,shield,sea dragon cloak,cold one.

Heroes
Lokhir Fellheart 250

"Liraeth Darklore" (Sorceress)175
Level 2,Tome of Furion,Dispell Scroll

"Saelir Shadowsoul" (Sorceress)185
Level 2, Focus Familiar,Dispell Scroll

Core

" Blackheart Brotherhood " 20 Corsairs 250
Full Command, Banner of Murder

" Hargaths Pirahnas" 10 Corsairs 125
Full Command

“Daril’s Serpents” 10 Corsairs 125
Full command

“Carrion Daughters” 5 Harpies 55

“Gore Sisters” 5 Harpies 55

Special

" Khaidars Slaveherders" 10 Cold One Knights 370
Full Command, Ring of Hotek, Standard of Slaughter

Rare

" Kirhaelich Lionbane " Hydra 175
“Khaines Emissary” Reaper Bolt thrower 100

“Whispering Death” Reaper Bolt Thrower 100

Total Points =2239

As you can see from my signature i have done relatively well with this army at several stages of its completion representing some of the models i do not yet own. The only loss i have had so far was being massacred by a magic heavy warriors of chaos army at 100pts mostly due to bad luck in spell generation and the close combat prowess of chaos warriors.

kyussinchains
08-01-2010, 14:22
hey if it's working for you that's great! I still don't like the look of that big unit of CoK..... I assume you're running it 2x5 models? splitting it would add lots of flexibility and help out should one unit fail a stupidity test....

Caedis
09-01-2010, 03:37
Indeed it is :D

I will agree with you on the point of the CoK in terms of artillery etc, hovever i have found that as most of the armies i face have little or no war machines and ineffectual shooting the only hazards to my knights are magic and combat. The magic i have lessened due to the ring of hoeth and combat is well...their forte. Also the ability to have a fear causing unit strength 22 unit is nothing to be sneezed at and has helped me in a number of battles.

I will run them in 2 units of 5 against high artillery armies to see how much protection that will afford but against my current opponents the unit of ten is great. As for leadership i've found Ld 10 alleviates the worst of stupidity...