PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Tomb Kings list

LKHERO
01-01-2010, 01:04
My friend plays with Tomb Kings and I really enjoy playing against his army. He lend me his army book and I wanted to make a list for fun.

Here's the 2250 list:

Tomb Kings

LORD:
Tomb King (FoS, Golden Ahkra, VotS) = 250
Tomb Prince (GW, Cloak of the Dunes) = 124
Liche Priest (Steed, Brooch, Scroll) = 173
Liche Priest (Steed, Jar, Scroll) = 173

CORE:
21x Skeleton Archers (FC, BoUD) = 218
6x Skeleton Light Horsemen = 84
6x Skeleton Light Horsemen = 84
4x Chariots = 160
4x Chariots = 160

SPECIAL:
20x Tomb Guard (FC, Icon of Rakaph) = 310
2x Tomb Scorpions = 170
5x Carrion = 120

RARE:
2x SSC (Skulls of the Fallen) = 220

Tomb King is armed with Flail of Skulls, Vambraces of the Sun and a 4+ Ward. The Flail gives me +2 Str on the charge and each unsaved wounds counts as 2. The Tomb King sits in the Tomb Guard unit with free reform. The Prince can fly around and offer protection and as a counter-charge option in various locations. Tomb Guard has the free reform banner and the 2x Tomb Scorpions are in there to kill enemy War Machines. Carrion can act as first turn charges, march blockers and wm hunters. I lob skulls at my opponent and set up charges once they come closer.

My other option for the Tomb King is Destroyer of Eternities and Collar of Shapesh. But I wanted to try the Flail.

Let me know what you guys think.

havoc626
01-01-2010, 09:04
I say if you are taking a unit of 21 skeletons, it would be better for you to make them suited for combat rather than ranged, as they can make a good unit to take a charge so that in your next turn, your chariots can flank charge. If you are using them for the actual bows for more missile attacks, then I say split the it into two, smaller units so that you can shoot with more skeletons more often.

Liche Priests seem a bit vulnerable to me, more because one has to be your heirophant. I'd say give one of them either cloak of dunes (while giving your TP something else) or swap the brooch for the collar of shapesh and keep him near and in bunker units near your SSC.

Definatly put your TK on a chariot and put him in a unit, as it will prove very powerful having the FoS and being on a chariot when you charge. It also gives him a larger area in which to use VotS, so you have an easier time taking away enemy character's attacks.

LKHERO
01-01-2010, 18:28
-1 Archer and -1 Chariot for the Tomb King's Chariot.

The Liche Priests will be either be in the Skeleton unit or out of LoS so I'm not too worried about them getting killed. The flying Prince with the GW will be there to charge and kill outflankers.

As for replacing the bows with spears, I would rather have them bows because it gives me options to use smiting if I have a hill, or pick off large targets if there is any.

Josepho
04-01-2010, 16:45
I'm sorry that I'm very new to this, but I just picked up tomb kings and have been under the impression that most armies have a Casket of Souls but it looks like you took a second SSC instead of the Casket. Is it more common than I thought for TK armies to not use a Casket?

LKHERO
04-01-2010, 16:47
I'm sorry that I'm very new to this, but I just picked up tomb kings and have been under the impression that most armies have a Casket of Souls but it looks like you took a second SSC instead of the Casket. Is it more common than I thought for TK armies to not use a Casket?

Tomb King is better in most cases because it frees up a rare slot. Your magic is enough where 2 SSCs helps out more in the long run.

Enigmatik1
04-01-2010, 16:58
Tomb King is better in most cases because it frees up a rare slot. Your magic is enough where 2 SSCs helps out more in the long run.

This depends greatly on what you normally face. Simply put, the Casket of Souls is the most reliable source of Magic Resistance available to the army. You'd be surprised, 2-3 spells per game simply fail because of it and woe be unto the enemy who fails to dispel the Light of Death and you roll well on that 2D6 (unless we're talking Dwarfs...then just leave it at home).

Aside from overpaying across the board for just about every unit we field, magic defense is our next biggest liability. Not having to worry about 2 or more spells per game is a steal for the points imo. The rest of the benefits of the Casket are gravy. It also draws out 2-4 dice to stop from most enemies so that's more of your own magic getting through. Tell me again it isn't worth its points? :D

I'm not really a fan of twin SSCs. I run one in my lists because Big Bone isn't efficient at all for his points, but I don't like the randomness of the dice involved in them being effective. The Casket always does what I want it to and even when it doesn't, what I get is always a bonus not a negative like the wretched things blowing up in Turn 1.

Nothing can snatch a victory out of the jaws of crushing defeat like a lights out Light of Death roll. That possibility alone is worth the price of admission. ;) To me, its the great equalizer. No, it's not a Bloodthrister, Engine of the Gods, Hydra or Hellpit Abomination...but it's the closest thing we get to one, so we may as well use it. :cool:

tarrym
04-01-2010, 18:38
This is very similar to a list I've had some success with (limited success as my regular opponent is VC!).

I agree that the large unit of archers is better than 1 small one - putting a prince in this unit makes his smiting spell a reasonable threat. And if you form them up into ranks before getting charged then can still probably last 1-2 turns giving your chariots time to get the flank charge in.

Good luck.