PDA

View Full Version : Doomwheel question

Foegnasher
01-01-2010, 05:50
at the risk of starting another ruleslawyer sh*tstorm...

so does the fleeing doomwheel still shoot lightning?

i only ask because it came up in tonight's game. the rules say every freindly shooting phase, it dosent mention wheter the unit is fleeing chargeing or in cc.

just wondering.

Zoolander
01-01-2010, 06:09
I would say no. In no other instance can you do any other action while fleeing.

therat
01-01-2010, 14:55
Technically it says every friendly shooting phase. At the same time it does go so far as to declare the close combat exception, but makes no mention of flight.

Most of the time having it fire while fleeing will cause damage to the controlling player. The only time I can see this being a huge advantage and popping a really tough question would be if it misfires. What if you misfire and go out of control? Does your fleeing but out of control doomwheel actually count as charging if it hits an enemy?

GW did not test this thing a single time, did they?

Razakel
01-01-2010, 15:05
I hate the person who wrote the Doomwheel's rules. I hate him strongly.

Agnar the Howler
01-01-2010, 16:09
As do I, it caused me to lose an entire skink squad to a fleeing doomwheel -.-

I don't know really, i'd say no (although a good few players might disagree if it means they can't roast the scouts or fliers that are terrorising their flanks) because i'm pretty sure the only thing you can do when fleeing is flee and attempt to rally.

Foegnasher
01-01-2010, 17:15
As do I, it caused me to lose an entire skink squad to a fleeing doomwheel -.-

I don't know really, i'd say no (although a good few players might disagree if it means they can't roast the scouts or fliers that are terrorising their flanks) because i'm pretty sure the only thing you can do when fleeing is flee and attempt to rally.

this is what i decided.

incidentally the wheel fried way more of my stuff than his. i talleid 2 slaves, a clanrats and a doomflayer as friendly fire, i killed one bret knight with the doomwheel.

Gormereth, the Fearmonger
01-01-2010, 17:22
incidentally the wheel fried way more of my stuff than his. i talleid 2 slaves, a clanrats and a doomflayer as friendly fire, i killed one bret knight with the doomwheel.

It appears I am late with this, but page 46-subsequent actions of fleeing troops. It's sad that it took me so long to find "where" they actually put it in the rulebook.

ExxonValdez
05-01-2010, 15:10
I figured this was the best thread to hijack for answering my question about firing with the doom wheel.

The Zapp is regarded as Warp Lightning, it is a magical shooting attack but not a magic missile. Each bolt is fired and resolved separately so do you incur a penalty for firing multiple shots? and because the doom wheel always moves would it mean you always hit on 6's unless firing at a large target?

Lord Zarkov
05-01-2010, 15:14
Do you not Auto-hit?

Bac5665
05-01-2010, 15:16
Maybe, maybe not. The rule is so badly written that it can easily be read RAW to not auto-hit.

Sugarsw337
05-01-2010, 16:02
you actually have to take a test to not fire the damn thing, however as i am not that well informed on the fluff on the thing is this because the machine is crazy and shoots out lazers
or because the driver is crazy and don't want to stop shooting ?

For some reason i imagined that the bolts where build up from the hamster wheel going round and round, and just shot of at the closest fleshy thing. so when this happened to me the first time i used mine we came to the conclusion that it does fire when fleeing, much because the closest target was my own units. we also came to the conclusion that the engineer may not test to stop the bolts, as he is to busy with.. ehh being scared or something

05-01-2010, 16:42
Yeah, you auto-hit. Taken RAW it says you "strike the closest unit" not that you just target it so auto-hit is implied. Looking at the scenarioes where the 'Wheel has to roll to hit creates one of two things: (1) the 'Wheels odds of hitting are so laughablely small compared to the odds of misfire that the 'Wheel become unplayable, or (2) you have to take liberties with the 'Wheels rules and assume that it gets to ignore all to hit penalties for shooting even though it never says that, implies that, or even hints at that anywhere in its rules.

05-01-2010, 16:55
you actually have to take a test to not fire the damn thing, however as i am not that well informed on the fluff on the thing is this because the machine is crazy and shoots out lazers
or because the driver is crazy and don't want to stop shooting ?

For some reason i imagined that the bolts where build up from the hamster wheel going round and round, and just shot of at the closest fleshy thing. so when this happened to me the first time i used mine we came to the conclusion that it does fire when fleeing, much because the closest target was my own units. we also came to the conclusion that the engineer may not test to stop the bolts, as he is to busy with.. ehh being scared or something

Never really thought about it like that, certainly matches up to the fluff...not the rules unfortunately (see my first post here for reference). But you know what, I wouldn't mind if they added in a bit of errata to make special exception here because the Doomwheel firiing even when its fleeing does make a crazy kind of sense.