PDA

View Full Version : Expanding My Nids

Eternus
02-01-2010, 12:40
Right, being as I may be getting slightly more cash and vouchers for my Birthday than I thought, I plan on adding to my Nids, starting with the new Codex. I have plenty of Warriors (12ish) and smaller Nids like Hormogaunts (32) & Termagants (16), Gargoyles (15) etc, but the only Monstrous Creatures I have in this 3500 point army is a single Tyrant and a single Carnifex.

Should I add a second Carnifex, or say what the hell and get a Trygon! (I already have 3 Raveners, 3 Lictors and lots of infiltrating Stealers)

Thud
02-01-2010, 12:43
Wait for the codex and get that. After that, figure out what you want.

That said, you can't go wrong with a Trygon. They're awesomesauce.

philbrad2
02-01-2010, 13:02
I'd agree with THUD codex offers players to field a horde infantry Nid force, Nidzilla (still) as well as credible flying and burrowing forces, both deep striking, add in the spore deployment and the Nids now have a huge range of army construction to choose from.

PhilB
:chrome:

SteelTitan
02-01-2010, 13:22
Yeah, you are probably better of waiting for the dex to come out with the less obvious purchases. Having that said, you cant go wrong with a Trygon...or two. Buying carnis might not be the best investment, seeing what we know about them now.

LonelyPath
02-01-2010, 13:28
Agreeing with those above. Wait for the dodex. it's out in 2 weeks.

Eternus
02-01-2010, 14:25
Yeah, you are probably better of waiting for the dex to come out with the less obvious purchases. Having that said, you cant go wrong with a Trygon...or two. Buying carnis might not be the best investment, seeing what we know about them now.

What do we know about them now?

MasterDecoy
02-01-2010, 14:28

well, if you listen to the doom and gloom, they will now spontainiously explode on turn 1 automatically for no reason, taking your entire army with them.

Eternus
02-01-2010, 14:45
well, if you listen to the doom and gloom, they will now spontainiously explode on turn 1 automatically for no reason, taking your entire army with them.

Trygon it may well be then!

catbarf
02-01-2010, 15:24

They're very, very expensive for what they do and a Trygon has more attacks, free Deep Strike, and is harder to kill for just a few more points.

njfed
02-01-2010, 15:44
The last thing you want to do is buy another Tyrant or Carnifex. They are now expensive and there are better options. Wait for the book.

Eternus
02-01-2010, 16:04
My instinct was to get the Dex and a Trygon, because the model is really nice - but as the Book and the Trygon come out the same day anyway, I may as well get the book, have a look through then get what I think is the best option - quite likely the Trygon - especially as the Carnifex I have is a conversion of the old Screamer Killer, so a new plastic Fex would look much bigger alongside the older model.

Refyougee
02-01-2010, 16:43
Gonna have to vote for the new HS, but I think you'll get more mileage out of the Mawloc; at least consider magnetizing it so you can switch between the two.

The Tervigon will be fun as well, but you can convert him from a Carnifex with some spare bits so at least you won't have to buy another kit if you want one.

Eternus
02-01-2010, 17:02
Has anyone confirmed that the Trygon & Mawloc are MC's yet?

ekiander
02-01-2010, 17:46
Has anyone confirmed that the Trygon & Mawloc are MC's yet?

Trygon(s) are all MCs. The Trygon Prime I believe is an HQ and the Mawloc/Trygon are heavy support. You can't go wrong with buying a dex and Trygon kit.

And I would suggest magnetizing it to be able to make all 3 variants.

Tiu
02-01-2010, 19:43
Prime isnt HQ though ;)

TheShadowCow
02-01-2010, 20:27
Toxathropes and Hive Guard are going to be extremely potent units on the battlefield, as will Zoanthropes (at last). Filling up on those three is something you can't go wrong with either (despite what the "NO EW, WE R DOOMED" crowd may claim at the moment), since each fulfils a few very crucial roles, very very well.

Eternus
03-01-2010, 14:10
Trygon(s) are all MCs. The Trygon Prime I believe is an HQ and the Mawloc/Trygon are heavy support. You can't go wrong with buying a dex and Trygon kit.

And I would suggest magnetizing it to be able to make all 3 variants.

Cool. Well if Fex's don't have the same survivability any more - I heard 1 less Tough and no option for a 2+ save - and the Trygon/Mawloc give no save in combat and get 2D6 pen because they are MC's then I think the Trygon/Mawloc will definitely fit best with my existing army.

kaimarion
03-01-2010, 15:41
You couldn't go wrong with buying gargoyles when they are out as they are pretty good for their points cost unlike termagants and homies. I wouldn't count on the trygon for bringing in units though as your unit might turn up before or on the same turn the trygon arrives so you would start from the table edge and not the emergence hole :(.

Anyway solid buys would be:
Trygons
Gargoyles
Hive guard
Codex
Zoanthropes
Genestealers

Getifa Ubazza
03-01-2010, 15:53
I'm planning to get the codex, a Trygon and a max size brood of Gargoyles. I'm also considering a large brood of Winged Warriors. I got 9 pairs of wings from FW and really wan't to use them. Even if I don't actually use them in the game very often.

I have a Carnifex painted up already and will be getting him a pod. He may not be that great anymore, But he is so cute and he always looks so sad when I don't play with him. So he is in my list regardless.

Eternus
03-01-2010, 19:00
You couldn't go wrong with buying gargoyles when they are out as they are pretty good for their points cost unlike termagants and homies. I wouldn't count on the trygon for bringing in units though as your unit might turn up before or on the same turn the trygon arrives so you would start from the table edge and not the emergence hole :(.

Well, this is encouraging.....

Anyway solid buys would be:
Trygons
My thoughts exactly...

Gargoyles
Got a brood of 15....

Hive guard
Hmm...Maybe....Got 2 Tyrant Guard though.....

Codex
Of course.......

Zoanthropes
Got two already.......

Genestealers
Got a few......well, a lot......30 I think.....

So, in all, I have most bases covered.

TheShadowCow
03-01-2010, 21:24
So, in all, I have most bases covered.

It would look liek you do, yes. One note though - comparing Hive Guard to Tyrant Guard is a bit iffy. They may have similar names, but they have little in common (Hive Guard being an independant unit with mid-ranged weapons ideal for popping incoming transports).

Investing in the plastic Raveners seems like a smart move too, given how cheap they've become for what you get (and how they retain their speed, unlike Hormagaunts).

Shadowfax
03-01-2010, 22:38
You have a good base for the new rules.

Lots of Tyranid players have multiple Carnifexes and dual Tyrants, and the new codex seems to make fielding those particular nasties in the same numbers prohibitively expensive, not to mention underwhelming from a cost/effectiveness standpoint.

So you're probably better off not adding either of those things. A Trygon is definitely the same option for you. Zoanthropes, Hive Guard, and Biovores will all be useful, but somewhat dependent on what army you're facing.