PDA

View Full Version : WIP 1850 DA (moving from general)

odmiller
31-01-2006, 23:06
I realized this thread would make more sense in this section rather than the general painting, as it is a project log after all. I will let the other thread die a natural death, and update over here instead.

I have built a sizeable DA Army over the last couple years, but in order to remain consistant, and to stay within my personal guidelines about only using painted figures when gaming, I only painted the armies to a certain level, and in a certian style. For speed and consistency, I was locked into certain markings, colors, basing styles, etc. There were a lot of things I wanted to try, but never did, knowing I would never allow myself to break my self imposed consistency rules. I guess that's a bit nutty now that I think about it.

Anyway, as the year closed I decided I was officially done building that force. With Deathwing and Ravenwing it had grown big enough to play 6000 pt games of painted minis. Knowing there are a lot of cool 40k events this year, and with the DA codex coming out at the end of the year, there would be a lot of building excitement, I knew I would want to add more DA models, but with an army already at critical mass, and locked into a constraints I no longer wanted to work within, I knew I would be unsatisfied with just adding more to the horde. So, the solution...

A new DA Army. An 1850pt battleforce featuring a little of everything, built from the ground up (instead of organically grown a squad at a time). It's been a mental leap for me, composing a list, collecting and building it all without quickly painting as I went. Lots of GW DA Bits, Crusader bits, Forgeworld iconography and greenstuff touches. But the force is built and ready. It's not the most combat optimised army, but it feels right!

If you're still interested after that long diatribe, here you go, my Dark angels Work in Progress.

After the paint tests at the top, if you scroll down the Librarian, a scout squad, a tactical squad, and the predator are all complete. I am currently working on finishing the terminator squad.

http://odmiller.tripod.com/id17.html

odmiller
03-02-2006, 06:52
OK, new pics up. The Librarian photo has been updated because of some minor changes and the Assault termies are up.

Here's a wierd issue. My Matte Varnish had been leaving a shine on all my minis thus far, which I actually kind of liked. All of a sudden when I sprayed the termies, dull as can be! Same weather conditions here essentially.

Darkseer
03-02-2006, 10:01
Those terminators look really nice :)

Orcdom
03-02-2006, 20:33
why are the terminators done in green or is that preheresy black? i cant really see it that good.
i can see why at to have a cohesive looking force, and also they dont tend to stick out like a sore thumb either.

get you some gloss varnish and clear coat all of your figs, it works better than matte as a protectorant, its a heavier finish, and then if you want to dull it down use either testors dullcoate for a dead flat or a matte with a minimal shine. satin finish might be what your looking for with some shine but not too much tho.

Steve

KayvaanShrike
05-02-2006, 01:23
They are really nice, I like the GS hoods, the one on the scout looks a little big however, but its not a major thing, just me being pernickety. They look very nice indeed, your painting skills are good, I like the use of the FW DA bits on your tanks and the FW shoulder pads on the termies.

Metal Fingered Villain
05-02-2006, 02:35
The combination of the BT robe and the GS hood on that vet. Sergeant is nice. The scout hood as mentioned before is a tad big, shouldnt be to hard to pry it off and sculpt uno mas then prime it at and paint over it.

odmiller
05-02-2006, 07:56
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

The termies are black, not DG, although that doesn't make them pre heresy. According to fluff, the Deathwing stayed in black armor until the "Plains World" incident, which would have occured in the last few thousand years 40k time.

You guys should have seen the scout's hood when I first did it. I have already cut and shaved it back a lot, which gives you an idea. I guess there's more to be done.

odmiller
10-02-2006, 04:17
OK, the Assault squad is complete. Scroll down to the Fast Attack Section.

I am very happy with them. Again, they aren't as dark as they look. Almost.

ExoCowboy
10-02-2006, 07:50
Looks good, I like your hoods/robes on the models. Nice stuff all of them.

odmiller
10-02-2006, 17:48
Thanks Cowboy.

I am moving into my next scout squad now. Hope to have them done this weekend.

odmiller
15-02-2006, 09:25
Well, the second scout squad has been added. Scroll down the page to see.

The other tactical squad will be next I think.

Brother Octavian
16-02-2006, 21:34
The robed sergeant of Tactical squad 1 looks outstanding! The paint job is quite impressive, and the flowing cloth that you've sculpted really adds a convincing sense of dynamism to the model. Great job!

odmiller
17-02-2006, 01:41
I wish I could take credit for the robe (aside from the painting), but it's just one of the BT Crusader ones. I added hoods and used them for all my sergeants.

Astromarine
17-02-2006, 02:33
That's a mighty impressive army, ODM. I'm a bit curious about the color scheme, why so dark? Also, what color did you use? Looks like one of the Vallejo greens...

This pic here makes me green with envy (check the custom title for why):

http://odmiller.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/entirearmy4_05.gif

odmiller
17-02-2006, 19:08
Lol. The worst thing about that pic is that most of it has been retired to the storage case. The Deathwing and Ravenwing are still out in case I want to play those armies as stand alones, but the new army I am working on will be what I field for any mixed battleforce games.

The green is just DA green. It is darkened for the main color, then used as is for the highlighting. I wen tfor the really dark look to match the DA artwork from the old Epic Box. It got me to love DA way back when. They are using the art again for an upcoming book cover, and that's the kind of feel I want to capture.

VtrAxx
17-02-2006, 22:08
Hey odmiller how did you paint the scouts?
Clothes, flesh, weapon casings, pouches, chest-eagles?

and for tabards/robes how did you paint those?

Sorry for bugging
Thanks!
Vtraxx Out

odmiller
22-03-2006, 07:38
It's been a while, but I am back on the DA full force. Two updates since last posted.

Scroll down to the second Tactical Squad and the Assault Squad. The Tactical Squad is all new, the Assualt squad got rephotographed after I added the squad numbers to the unit markings.

Bikers are next I think.

bloodwraith
22-03-2006, 12:34
ODM: good grief, you again and why am i not surprised to see you doing yet ANOTHER DA army. You have a love obsession with this chapter! Love your work though and look forward to more.

odmiller
22-03-2006, 18:11
Lol. Bloodwraith, it's hard to stay away from the first and the finest! Actually, it got to the point where I wanted one I was proud of for quality not quantity.

To be fair though I have a decent sized IG army I can switch to when I need a break from power armor. That too needs a lot of work.

HiredSword.
22-03-2006, 21:39
odmiller, got to say i'm loving the colour scheme for these DA, usually i hate the red and greens together but this army i love!

Its very reminiscent of the DA codex cover and i think it comes out well in the models, you should be proud.

odmiller
23-03-2006, 00:10
Thanks fo rthe kind words. That's the look I am going for, the codex cover, and an old DA painting, that they happen to be using for a new book of short stories. I limited the red to the purity seals, removing it from all the tactical markings for the same reason, to get rid of the X-Mas effect.

odmiller
25-03-2006, 08:20
The Battleforce's Chaplain has been added.