PDA

View Full Version : Skaven GT build... i know, i'm starting early...

Slot
02-01-2010, 23:52
As part of my plan to enter a load of tourneys this year i intend to get my skaven painted in the arena. I've got models from the 80's so its about time they were played with!

My plan is to theme it around clan Pestilens... and the two plague furnaces :D

So here we go:

Plague Priest + Flail + Furnace + Pipes of Piebald = 254
Plague Priest + Flail + Furnace + Portents of Verminous doom = 259
Cheiftain + Battle standard = 70 -
is it worth giving him a magic banner considering the monks have the storm banner?

20 Slaves = 40
20 Slaves = 40
25 Clanrats + cmd + shields = 145
13 Gaint rats + 2 packmasters = 55

27 Plague monks + cmd + storm banner = 264
27 Plague Monks + cmd = 214
10 Plague Censer bearers = 160

Hell Pit Abomb = 235
Doomwheel = 150

total = 1926

So i have a few points to play with. I'm thinking that i'm missing ld7 from a warlord, but do i need it with so many unbreakable/stubborn units?
What should i add with the points i have remaining?
Is this even a decent list for tourneys (i wouldn't use this list with mates)

Please rip this list apart

LKHERO
03-01-2010, 01:02
Don't need the Chieftain. Add 2x Warlock Engineers instead. Go with another Hell Pit and reduce points accordingly.

Dark_Knight
03-01-2010, 01:12
Skaven are insane!

Nimh
03-01-2010, 01:24
I would drop the Plague Censer bearers to 6 or 7 so they are one rank and no guys in the back are dying and not swinging. The plague priest need protection. Your opponent can choose to ranged attack the furnace and have a chance to hit the priest. The priest cannot run from duals also.Doomwheels are nasty, but they can totally fail. Not sure if I would take one to a GT. Magic is a bit light, but thats just me. I love taking a Grey Seer. Love the size of the monk units. Good luck!!!

Foegnasher
03-01-2010, 04:37
i'm not sold on the two unbreakable units, and tiny ancellary forces. your leadership on your general is a 6. you are hamstringing yourself before you start. if your stormbanner doesnt last for more than two turns, you are going to have problems. artillary will still sneak through, and bust up your flanking units.

anyone with half a brain will frenzy bait your big unbreakable units to the point whre they get flanked, and those nasty plague furnaces dont hurt at all.

Slot
03-01-2010, 15:19
i'm not sold on the two unbreakable units, and tiny ancellary forces. your leadership on your general is a 6. you are hamstringing yourself before you start. if your stormbanner doesnt last for more than two turns, you are going to have problems. artillary will still sneak through, and bust up your flanking units.

anyone with half a brain will frenzy bait your big unbreakable units to the point whre they get flanked, and those nasty plague furnaces dont hurt at all.

I agree with what you are saying with the baiting of the frenzied units Foegnasher and its one thing that does concern me with this list. But i was thinking i could use the giant rats and slaves in such a way that helps me get them where i want. Plus, with the abomb and the doomwheel, they won't be able to just concentrate on the furnace units anyway.

I was also thinking that with 2 unbreakable units, even if they do flank them, its not a great problem, as they won't run aywhere, but will hopefully lead me to flanking them next turn

fubukii
03-01-2010, 16:08
As part of my plan to enter a load of tourneys this year i intend to get my skaven painted in the arena. I've got models from the 80's so its about time they were played with!

My plan is to theme it around clan Pestilens... and the two plague furnaces :D

So here we go:

Plague Priest + Flail + Furnace + Pipes of Piebald = 254
Plague Priest + Flail + Furnace + Portents of Verminous doom = 259
Cheiftain + Battle standard = 70 -
is it worth giving him a magic banner considering the monks have the storm banner?

20 Slaves = 40
20 Slaves = 40
25 Clanrats + cmd + shields = 145
13 Gaint rats + 2 packmasters = 55

27 Plague monks + cmd + storm banner = 264
27 Plague Monks + cmd = 214
10 Plague Censer bearers = 160

Hell Pit Abomb = 235
Doomwheel = 150

total = 1926

So i have a few points to play with. I'm thinking that i'm missing ld7 from a warlord, but do i need it with so many unbreakable/stubborn units?
What should i add with the points i have remaining?
Is this even a decent list for tourneys (i wouldn't use this list with mates)

Please rip this list apart

Basically whenever making a list for a GT think of things you can fight against
How can i deal with the following:
Bloodthristers, Stegs, star dragons, black dragons, hydras etc

I can see the list without doomwheels having trouble vs Large flying monsters and the hydras.
Unless you can somehow manage a charge with your HPA. Your clanrat point costs are also wrong, they are 4.5 pts a model.

I suggest dropping the bsb and getting more magic defense. and anti monster stuff.

Slot
03-01-2010, 16:15
I can see the list without doomwheels having trouble vs Large flying monsters
Unless you can somehow manage a charge with your HPA. Your clanrat point costs are also wrong, they are 4.5 pts a model.

I suggest dropping the bsb and getting more magic defense. and anti monster stuff

I've not had much experience vs large flying stuff, so i'm not quite sure what to include to oppose them, any recommendations?

Instead of the BSB, poss a warlock with a scroll?

Cheers for the points change, forgot about the change

fubukii
03-01-2010, 16:54
Well since they are all large targets a option would be some jezzails behind one of your units?

WLC or doomwheels work good.
Im not A real fan of PWG so i wouldnt suggest them.
Warlocks WL can help a bit if you have enough magic.

or you can try to go the avoidance route, and just try to kill more of him then he kills of you, and hope for the best

Slot
03-01-2010, 17:52
Ok... updated list... have a butchers

Plague Priest Flail + furnace + pipes = 279
Plague Priest Flail + furnace + portents = 274
Walock Engineer level 1 + scroll =90
20 Slaves = 40
20 Slaves = 40
24 Clanrats Cmd + shields 128
13 Giant rats 2 Packmasters = 55
13 Giant rats 2 Packmasters = 55
27 Plague Monks Cmd + storm banner = 264
24 Plague Monks Cmd = 193
6 Plague Censor Bearers = 96
5 Jezzails = 100
Abomination = 235
Doomwheel = 150

total 1999

Having taken onboard peoples suggestions this is what i have so far, a good mix, decent amount of units (i thnk) with some, but not a lot of magic defence.

Jind_Singh
03-01-2010, 22:47
thats pretty insane for 2000pts - just so many distraction units, the 2 furnaces, abomination, doomwheel - I dont have the guns to bring them all down! I like it!
The 5 Jezzails are deadly v's other large targets, good inclusion, and 5 levels of magic to take the fight to the enemy.
THis is a solid army - liking it a lot. My only word of note.....

Clan rats - you got 2 furnance units, PCBs, rare choices to combat the enemy with. I'd actually sacrifce the worthless clanrats as they wont do much for you in this list, and go with 3 more units of slaves, or 2 more slave units and a horde of giant rats - 10 rats, 2 packmasters is only 46pts! That will give you more deployment choices - saving the juicy units for the end, more screens to the frenzied masses, and you can wear down the enemy - I love the idea that slaves charge high elves, maybe kill 1 elf here and there, but then explode in their faces doing D3+1 str 3 hits - its wicked! Especially if you flank them with giant rats - you might even win a few combats here and there. Then crunch, in go the furnance teams! Damn sight more annoying that a solitary unit of clan rats...
Just food for thought....

Slot
03-01-2010, 22:59
thats pretty insane for 2000pts - just so many distraction units, the 2 furnaces, abomination, doomwheel - I dont have the guns to bring them all down! I like it!
The 5 Jezzails are deadly v's other large targets, good inclusion, and 5 levels of magic to take the fight to the enemy.
THis is a solid army - liking it a lot. My only word of note.....

Clan rats - you got 2 furnance units, PCBs, rare choices to combat the enemy with. I'd actually sacrifce the worthless clanrats as they wont do much for you in this list, and go with 3 more units of slaves, or 2 more slave units and a horde of giant rats - 10 rats, 2 packmasters is only 46pts! That will give you more deployment choices - saving the juicy units for the end, more screens to the frenzied masses, and you can wear down the enemy - I love the idea that slaves charge high elves, maybe kill 1 elf here and there, but then explode in their faces doing D3+1 str 3 hits - its wicked! Especially if you flank them with giant rats - you might even win a few combats here and there. Then crunch, in go the furnance teams! Damn sight more annoying that a solitary unit of clan rats...
Just food for thought....

Cheers!

I see what you're saying about the clan rats, i did think that myself, and i think it would be wise to do so, they are not going to do much on their own and i have enough fighty units anyway.

One thing you have wrong is the amount of magic i have. I only have 3 level (3 level 1's) so i might up the warlock to level 2 and add a load of slaves to the mix, what do you reckon?

fubukii
04-01-2010, 00:28
clanrats are fairly useful vs daemons and undead as they can pass Fear checks outside of general ld range, but i agree vs non fear armies they arent much better then slaves

LKHERO
04-01-2010, 00:40
Find points for another HPA.

Brother Edwin
04-01-2010, 01:58
I am not a fan of plague monks without a furnace. So easy to bait into a flank charge. I would take more censor bearers instead.

But apart from that it looks good.:cool:

fubukii
04-01-2010, 05:10
he has 2 furnaces one for each unit though.

strateger
06-01-2010, 07:00
Ok... updated list... have a butchers

27 Plague Monks Cmd + storm banner = 264
6 Plague Censor Bearers = 96

7 is the way to go for the Plague Censor Bearers, so I suggest you drop 2 plague monks, add 1 one plague censor bearer.