PDA

View Full Version : 1k Dwarfs - Begginer

xxrvngrdxx
03-01-2010, 23:08
Hi all,

Okay, so I have been playing 40k for years and a little while back my gaming group decided to try out fantasy. That, sadly, fell through. Now, my group thought about jumping back in to it again. We all decided on making basic 1k pt lists and to see how we like the game. Any ideas on what I should be fielding in a simple 1k dwarf list? I ended up getting 3 halves of battle for skull pass so I have a ton of basic guys but nothing fantastic... Are Command sections that important? Did I put too many runes on my hero for this points set?

This is my list so far. Any and all help would be great. Thanks!

Hero:
Runesmith [147]
Shield
Rune of Striking
Rune of Speed
Master Rune of Spite
Rune of Warding

Core:
Warriors x16 [164]
Shields x16
Veteran
Standard

Warriors x16 [164]
Shields x16
Veteran
Standard

Thunderers x10 [140]

Thunderers x10 [140]

Thunderers x10 [140]

Special:
Cannon [105]
Engineer

My main opponents will be playing a Goblin force augmented by rock lobbas and trolls, Dark Elves, Lizardmen with lots of skinks, high elves, wood elves with their normal amounts of fun, and a HUGE Daemons army being converted over from 40k. Any ideas on what to toss in or out?

Also, any form of advice/tactica you guys may have would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Red Metal
04-01-2010, 02:36
Couple things about Dwarves that might help.

- Win thru combat resolution. Dwarves do best when they have strong static combat res, so always take Standards, full ranks, etc to help with this. Also make sure you have at least one Thane that has a GW and some Runic protection, as the Thanes tend to score the most kills. You'll hear the term "Thane of Pain" tossed around alot - it describes a tricked-out combat Thane.

- They like shields. Every figure in a Dwarf army that can, should have shields - they will always come in handy even with missile units like Thunderers.

- FC on infantry block units. I always run FC on Warriors, Hammerers, anything that will see combat. Also, most Dwarf units need to be big. Twenty or more work in the 2K point game, you can run less at 1K.

- Runes are unque. Runes represent a nice counter-balance to the Dwarves lack of magic, so don't forget to include Runes where applicable.

- Make a game plan and stick to it. Dwarves can work well in gunlines, infantry heavy lists, or balanced. Just remember that Dwarves aren't fast and will need to stick to the game plan - they won't be able to help support each other if things go bad, because they're so slow.

As for your 1K list, there's a few small changes I would suggest. The Runesmith might be better as a Thane. Again, that way you can score more kills and have more durability. I've found that Runesmiths get cut down too easily. Shields for the Thunderers and maybe swap out one unit - thirty Dwarves will be hard to line-up so that all of them can shoot. Again, the Warriors won't be able to support the Thunderers too much, so you may not want to have the Thunderers spaced out that much. I might also recommend changing the Cannon for Bolt Throwers, unless you really like guess weapons. You can give one Cannon RoPenetration and RoBurning and the other just RoPenetration - those will help with Chariots and the possible Troll. Again, if you have the option (or models) to fit these ideas in, it would be good; but if not, the list you have now is not that bad.

Good luck. Welcome to the Dwarven Hold. Go avenge some Grudges.

xxrvngrdxx
05-01-2010, 04:22
Very much appreciated on the response. I did try out a 500point game today and with still being new to fantasy and a veteran of 40k, its sort of difficult making that transition. I definitely agree that a Thane is better suited for the dwarves, especially at small points. Maybe later on down the road using the runesmiths would be nice but for now I think the Thane works well.

I think my main battle tactic will be gunline augmented with warmachines...mainly 1-1 ratio of quarellers/thunderers and lots of bolt throwers. They just seem to do the trick. I also am not fond of those guess weapons after todays game. Getting 2 warmachines for the price of 1 is not too shabby.

So here is my second attempt at 1k dwarves. Bear in mind, I'm still really new at fantasy...I will be using cannons as proxies for my bolt throwers until i get them.

Hero:
Thane [113]
Shield
Oath Stone
Rune of Fury

Core:
Quarellers x10 [120]
Shields x10

Quarellers x10 [120]
Shields x10

Thunderers x10 [150]
Shields x10

Longbeards x20 [250]
Shields x20
Standard

Special:
Bolt Thrower [90]
Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower [90]
Bolt Thrower

I still have 63 points left over though, where do you think I should put them?

graymer
05-01-2010, 15:47
You cannot take a unit of Longbeards unless you have a unit of Warriors as well.

The only exception to this is if you take a Dwarf Lord as a hero choice.

Red Metal
05-01-2010, 16:50
Hero:
Thane [113]
Shield
Oath Stone
Rune of Fury

Core:
Quarellers x10 [120]
Shields x10

Quarellers x10 [120]
Shields x10

Thunderers x10 [150]
Shields x10

Longbeards x20 [250]
Shields x20
Standard

Special:
Bolt Thrower [90]
Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower [90]
Bolt Thrower

As mentioned, you'd have to drop the Longbeards or take Warriors to fill the prerequiste of having Longbeards. You could do this by swapping out one unit of Quarrellers for the Warriors or just downgrading the Longbeards to Warriors. Either option works pretty well. I would probably trim down the infantry units alittle, maybe run them at 18; at 20, if they take one kill from shooting, then they lose one point of combat resolution. Plus, two units of 16-18 infantry can guard your weaker shooting units alittle better. I'd drop the Oathstone on the Thane and pick up a GW and some protection Runes. You also should look into Runes for your BTs, RoBurning and/or RoPenetration are very popular for there cost and effectiveness.

Good luck.

danny-d-b
05-01-2010, 17:04
Very much appreciated on the response. I did try out a 500point game today and with still being new to fantasy and a veteran of 40k, its sort of difficult making that transition. I definitely agree that a Thane is better suited for the dwarves, especially at small points. Maybe later on down the road using the runesmiths would be nice but for now I think the Thane works well.

I think my main battle tactic will be gunline augmented with warmachines...mainly 1-1 ratio of quarellers/thunderers and lots of bolt throwers. They just seem to do the trick. I also am not fond of those guess weapons after todays game. Getting 2 warmachines for the price of 1 is not too shabby.

So here is my second attempt at 1k dwarves. Bear in mind, I'm still really new at fantasy...I will be using cannons as proxies for my bolt throwers until i get them.

Hero:
Thane [113]
Shield
Oath Stone
Rune of Fury
o.k. but the single rune of fury isn't worth it, I'd take a great weapon and a rune of stone, same save, -1 attack but +2 streanth which is good!

Core:
Quarellers x10 [120]
Shields x10

Quarellers x10 [120]
Shields x10

Thunderers x10 [150]
Shields x10
maybe a tad to much shooting, I'd drop a unit of quarrlers to warriors, which also sorts your longbeard problem

Longbeards x20 [250]
Shields x20
Standard
Good however I found that 20 longbeards looks a tad threatening I'd drop them down to 15 and maybe give them the rune of stoicisim?

Special:
Bolt Thrower [90]
Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower [90]
Bolt Thrower
if this is ment to be 4 bolt thowers it very off puttin when put down on the table yet at the same time not that effective, I'd drop 2 of them and give them both eneneerges- which makes them hit more offen, also Give 1 burning and 1 penertrating to deal with regenerateing/flaming/ chariots

all comments in quote, good list!- I'd check bugmans for some more advice