PDA

View Full Version : Charging question

Yellow Commissar
04-01-2010, 03:32
If there is a Great Eagle 1" away on my flank and I declare a charge against another enemy unit that requires a wheel to charge and said wheel would bring the flank of my charging unit into contact with the eagle, what the &$#@ happens?!? :confused:

Do I count as charging the eagle? If so, how do we align the combatants?

Is it a failed charge? If so, why?

Although I am interested in how you would play it, I am more interested in what the actual rules say here. I can't find anything covering this or a similar situation.

Thanks in advance for you help. :)

Milgram
04-01-2010, 05:13
I cannot imagine a situation where that eagle would be in the way for charging unless you can see the eagle before. but let's imagine it is like that, then you cannot charge the eagle and if you cannot reach your original target without touching the eagle, then you fail your charge. but you can get closer than 1" to the eagle while charging another unit.

Nurgling Chieftain
04-01-2010, 05:39
If you would hit an enemy unit before your target while charging, you may declare "enemy in the way" and charge that unit - even if you couldn't have declared the charge against it originally (due to lack of LOS).

Milgram
04-01-2010, 06:24
enemy in the way? this is for puruit moves, not for regular charges.

Nurgling Chieftain
04-01-2010, 06:38
Pursuit moves have "pursuit into fresh enemy", which is similar but subtly different. My reading of the OP was that it was not a pursuit situation, however, so "enemy in the way" applies.

Milgram
04-01-2010, 07:39
uhm... yes, of course not pursuit, sry, but I am under the impression, that eitw only comes into play when the charged unit flees.

Nurgling Chieftain
04-01-2010, 07:44
...I am under the impression, that eitw only comes into play when the charged unit flees.That line was errata'd (it's the second entry in the first BRB FAQ). EitW is triggered regardless of the circumstances which cause it to occur, which are really many and varied; the idea that it should only occur upon the original target fleeing was silly and narrow.

Yellow Commissar
04-01-2010, 23:30
If you would hit an enemy unit before your target while charging, you may declare "enemy in the way" and charge that unit - even if you couldn't have declared the charge against it originally (due to lack of LOS).

That's sort of what I thought. This actually happened in a game. A Great Eagle was 1" away on the flank of a large ranked up unit of Marauders. The problem is that the infantry unit doesn't engage the eagle with thier front but with thier flank.

Can a unit charge a unit with its flank?

Is there a rule that says a charging unit must engage the charged unit with its front?

Should I just align the front of the infantry unit to the eagle regardless of the fact that they cannot possibly wheel to such a position?

Odd situation, but not all that odd with Great Eagles. A common HE tactic is to place them in awkward places to prevent maneuvring. Since the unit can neither see them or charge them, it can only walk away forwards, reform, turn, or some such slow maneuvre. In this particular case the unit had another enemy unit in range and LOS to declare a charge against.

I've seen similar tactics performed with DE harpies. The difference there, obviously, is that the harpies align to the chargers. With the eagle, the chargers must align to it.

Milgram
05-01-2010, 07:22
now I see. the eagle was on the other side. I'd say no, but I don't have the book with me right now.