PDA

View Full Version : Undead parts being used as whole models?

LKHERO
04-01-2010, 07:35
Is it true that GW states that you can use undead parts (skeletons, ghouls, zombies) on a base and it will count as much as a full model? For example, my friend had a base with just a few limbs on it.

Nurgling Chieftain
04-01-2010, 07:45
The important question is, does it look cool? :p

Dutch_Digger
04-01-2010, 08:48
both cheap and fitting

as much as a tombstone and a skeleton arm reaching from the ground.

But if you do it, do it right xD. dont make the whole unit look like a set of limbs, just a few in each group

Condottiere
04-01-2010, 10:19
I heard of one where the models progressively dig themselves out of the ground, with the front rank complete.

Griefbringer
04-01-2010, 11:46
As far as the rules go, the models are effectively just visual representations, and their details do not largely matter (as long as you can correctly identify unit type, armament and command models).

skank
04-01-2010, 11:51
If it looks good great!

I have a friend who just puts skeleton heads on a base...:rolleyes:

Brady
04-01-2010, 11:57
as long as its identifiable as a zombie/skelly raising itself out of the ground then i wouldn't mind. i dont blame the opponent ffor making his army cheaper!

Tambarskjelve
04-01-2010, 11:59
This is a good way of making unit fillers, but to me it's a big no-no in the front rank. The one that Condottiere talked about sounds really cool though!

VC are so lucky they can make unit fillers easy :P

Lord Malorne
04-01-2010, 12:11
In moderation yes it is ok, whole units can be a little to far though.

Lord Malorne

The SkaerKrow
04-01-2010, 12:14
Traditionally, I see people use this method for models raised after the start of the game. I certainly prefer it to empty bases.

dangermouse425
04-01-2010, 12:18
I heard of one where the models progressively dig themselves out of the ground, with the front rank complete.

That's cool.

I have a friend who just puts skeleton heads on a base...:rolleyes:

That's not.

Lord Malorne

New Year, New Avatar, Lord Malorne?

xragg
04-01-2010, 12:57

I dont know who it is, but it kinda looks like Hayden Pan(cant spell her name).

Lord Malorne
04-01-2010, 13:02
A friend of mine uses the bits-of-bodies-zombies as back ranks or freshly raised units, you need to see how your gaming group feels on the subject, as is what ALL people should do when tempted to ask 'is it ok' or 'would this work', its your groups opinions that matters.

I dont know who it is, but it kinda looks like Hayden Pan(cant spell her name).

Off topic gentlemen ;).

Lord Malorne

dangermouse425
04-01-2010, 13:32
A friend of mine uses the bits-of-bodies-zombies as back ranks or freshly raised units, you need to see how your gaming group feels on the subject, as is what ALL people should do when tempted to ask 'is it ok' or 'would this work', its your groups opinions that matters.

I think this should be the thought that goes through everyone's head when they post a "do you think I will be allowed to..." thread.
No matter how you perceive your actions, it is the perception of your opponent(s) that truly count. It does, as the saying goes, take two to tango.

Whilst it might be fun for you to play your nazi-themed Dark Elf models with the Space Marine codex, painted with the blood of a labrador puppy, you will soon find yourself lacking in opponents.

Off topic gentlemen ;).

Lord Marlorne is just scared that her true identity (Hayden Panettiere) will be discovered, leave her be. Nice double bluff on the avatar front...

shadow hunter
04-01-2010, 13:55
I dont play fantasy often (because of real life getting in the way) but end up just collecting armies (as its the next best thing to playing.)

For the Small Vampire army I started (not even played with) I have some Skellies that are made of left over parts. I have modelled them to look like they are crawling out of the ground so it at least looks nice.

I Have 2 units of 20 skellies with 15 being proper, and the back rank of each being part models where they are climbing out of the ground. I think it looks good, and would certainly be annoyed if anyone took exception to it. This hobby is very expensive, so I try to make the most of every part of a sprue.

LKHERO
04-01-2010, 17:11
What are these Tomb Stones that you guys are speaking of?

Can I buy those?

dangermouse425
04-01-2010, 17:12
Someone who actually collects the army, feel free to correct me, since I'm not a Vampire army player, but I believe they came on the skeleton regiment box set. At least, they did a few years back. (I think!)

Edit: Current Zombie box has one: http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_43_75&products_id=2540
and I was right, 5th Ed Skellies had one: http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_43_164_61&products_id=46
Both are out of stock though...

Griefbringer
04-01-2010, 17:15
Also the zombies have a spare tombstone on every sprue.

Lord Malorne
04-01-2010, 17:17
A few years ago the skellie sprue was last ed and not available now (rarelly at least) the zombies do indeed have plentiful grave stones.

Lord Malorne

dangermouse425
04-01-2010, 17:19
A few years ago the skellie sprue was last ed and not available now (rarelly at least) the zombies do indeed have plentiful grave stones.

Lord Malorne

Victory is mine!

chaos0xomega
04-01-2010, 17:19
If you click on lord malornes name it brings you to her profile page, which has an image of a rather lovely looking brunette, so I dont think shes masquerading as Hayden whatever.

As for the actual topic of this thread, I'm fine with it. I've seen it done, and I think its a great idea for freshly raised units(and you can pull off the front rank being complete, and then the rear ranks shambling out of their graves, etc. then more power to ya, that would look awesome).

Cole Train
04-01-2010, 17:34
I'm ok with it if there are a couple in the unit, but once you have an entire 5x4 formation of tombstones and arms coming from the ground it gets quite annoying.

tarrasque
04-01-2010, 18:56
if you want the vc 5th ed box buy the tombking scell warriors same kit with some extras

Agnar the Howler
04-01-2010, 20:53
I guess from the responses that it's legal, but at my GW you'd get kicked in the ovaries for doing it, at the very least. One of their many rules is 'No proxying' and they're quite strict also on complete models, so if you tried to proxy a skeletal head as a full skeleton model then you'd probably not find an opponent, as the staff tend to step in when games like that are set-up. The one excuse I got was "It's bad for the image of the game and the shop."

Lord Malorne
04-01-2010, 20:55
Wow that sucks, that really sucks.

Lord Malorne

Agnar the Howler
04-01-2010, 21:00
Which is why as soon as the new gaming place sets up later this month, i'm shifting my **** over there =P

xragg
04-01-2010, 21:11
I guess from the responses that it's legal, but at my GW you'd get kicked in the ovaries for doing it, at the very least. One of their many rules is 'No proxying' and they're quite strict also on complete models, so if you tried to proxy a skeletal head as a full skeleton model then you'd probably not find an opponent, as the staff tend to step in when games like that are set-up. The one excuse I got was "It's bad for the image of the game and the shop."

That can be true, but so is kicking out a paying customer that models something that looks really good. I am not sure how just a skeleton head can look good, but I have seen skeleton/zombie units with back ranks progressively crawling out of the ground looking quite nice.

If you click on lord malornes name it brings you to her profile page, which has an image of a rather lovely looking brunette, so I dont think shes masquerading as Hayden whatever.

I know that, the other pic presumably of her looks like she is signing someone's death warrant. She changes her avatar pic regularly. I almost never associate the avatar pic as the real person. Its not like I am not posing to be River Tam or Summer Glau, I just really liked the character. Its so cold and snowy this week, I may change to the other avatar I use, the grinning abominable snowman.

chaos0xomega
04-01-2010, 21:24
Wait... you mean your avatar pic ISNT you? I'm totally a half-khornate skull half-mechanicus skull disembodied head...

:p

starlight
04-01-2010, 22:06
I know that, the other pic presumably of her looks like she is signing someone's death warrant.

I wonder whose... :shifty:

Crazy Harborc
05-01-2010, 00:08
Oh yeah, the minies police! Hey, that model has foot from a non-GW product!!

Hey, that undead base with the tombstone ( That's complete with dates added) doesn't have enough of a skelie coming out of the ground.

In a tournie/GD the overall look and correctness of a army should be considered. In a for fun game, be it in a GW store on an indie store.....The over all appearance of a army should be what matters.

Sugarsw337
05-01-2010, 11:04
skellies/zombies have str 3, the same as the average human soldier? and its completely impossible for a normal human to dig themselves out of a grave, therefor the "skelli under the ground" thing is not OK!

why not make a 2-3 skellies with spades dig up the other skellies, much cooler..

(the first part was a joke :S)