PDA

View Full Version : What to do now with Carnifexes?

hendybadger
04-01-2010, 13:12
With so many people now having acces to the new Tyranid Codex I had a thought.
What is everyone going to do with your Carnifexes now?
Keep as they are?
Weapon swaps?
Pull apart to build new creatures?
Or something else?

The Phazer
04-01-2010, 13:23
Shelf, replace with Trygons.

Phazer

Absolutionis
04-01-2010, 13:28
Convert into Tervigons

Vaul
04-01-2010, 13:36
Use as Carnifexes?

Seth the Dark
04-01-2010, 13:39
Still use them. They may not be as powerful but it doesn't mean you shouldn't use them.

Abaddonshand
04-01-2010, 13:39
No upgrades except bio-plasma and spore pods for my dual scything talons fex, use my scything talons and crushing claws fex as Old One Eye (from the rumours I've heard, he's a steal for what he does compared to a normal tooled up Carnifex in the new codex).

My devil fex I cleverly modeled to have scything talons for asthetic reasons ( rather than giving him 4 devourers per se, I green stuffed a second pair onto his first pair and used scytals for second limbs) so I will be using him as a fex armed with devourers and scything talons. Finally, my sniper fex will be a counts as Tyrannofex, I don't have the heart to rip his arms off, he was the first conversion I did for my nids.

Taipan
04-01-2010, 13:51
Take it basic with talons, Adrenal Glands and bio-plasma. Shove it in a spore, bomb the enemy with it. The plasma cannon should kill something at least, and it will draw heavy weapon fire off your other monsters.

Eternus
04-01-2010, 13:57
Take it basic with talons, Adrenal Glands and bio-plasma. Shove it in a spore, bomb the enemy with it. The plasma cannon should kill something at least, and it will draw heavy weapon fire off your other monsters.

Wow. It sounds like lots of people are going 'Old Skool' with their 'Fexes - Screamer Killers ahoy - maybe I should put the old metal scythe arms back on my classic metal Carnifex and really bring back the good 'ol days? :cool:

Pudding
04-01-2010, 14:03
Convert into Tervigons

Ditto. Really, this is the best use for them I see right now. I'll keep a few for memory's sake.

oCoYoRoAoKo
04-01-2010, 14:47
One of them is already in the process of being Tervigon-ised, The two Dakka-fex are being put aside for 2k points+/Apoc games, and the other two are probably just going to gather dust on the shelf im afraid.

Cy.

Vepr
04-01-2010, 14:58
I will probably convert one to a Tervigon and keep the other a screamer killer for podding in and shelf my third. They are all magnetized so I might try and keep the Tervigon conversion modular so I can switch back to a fex.

genestealer_baldric
04-01-2010, 15:09
I Dunno ive 13 of them with various diffrent combos but none magntised i dont want to shelf my favorite model so i will still use them for nostaligic reasons probaly.

Dam you GW 1st rending,running then carnifexs and stealers and broodlords unless i convert all my nids to be either blue or wearing power armour they are having a hard time .

Panzer MkIV
04-01-2010, 15:13
I have an old metal Screamer-Killer that will be run with Bioplasma and adrenalin glands.

What will be done with my plastic carnifex depends on wether it can take a Heavy venom cannon (the str 10 one) as I used it as my primary tankbuster during 4th edition. If he can't the old metal one will be shelfed and the plastic one will become a Screamer Killer

the_picto
04-01-2010, 15:25
I only have two plastic ones, a dakkafex and a screamer killer. The dakkafex will probably have it's arms ripped off and replaced wirh talons so I can field them as a unit. Close combat fexes may not be the most effective build, but they're my favourite.

Nezalhualixtlan
04-01-2010, 16:39
I'm probably keeping my Screamer Killers as they are, and might be pulling the biomorphs/weapon symbiotes off some of my others like my 2x Devilfexes or possible converting those two into Tervigons. I want to get the Codex and actually read it rather than just the rumors before I go crazy and start doing anything for certain though, just to know exactly where everything stands for sure.

Earthbeard
04-01-2010, 18:07
Use as Carnifexes?

Bingo! We have a winner.

itcamefromthedeep
04-01-2010, 19:21
I'll be using a brood (with the claws replaced by talons) for a game or two. I want to make sure of how much they're not helping. They'll get Adrenal Glands and the grenade-a-mabobbers.

The rest? Shelved, probably. They'll sit beside my Rippers. I might use the Dakkafex once in a while.

naloth
04-01-2010, 19:39
I'm considering taking 2 from the 4e kit and turning them into Tervigons. That will still leave me 2 scream killers (1st edition!) if I have the urge to drop spore them in and the (3rd?) kinda goofy one that has magnetized weapon swaps.

Of course I can also crack out my heavy weapon zoats, old zoantropes (the big brain warrior ones), my death bunny warriors w/boneswords, my original version HT w/sword and lashwhip (fielded w/the guard that have shield and lashwhips), and even spikerifle or strangleweb gaunts. My 2nd generation Hive Tyrant (big crest one) has wings so he'll probably get rotated out for a while.

hendybadger
04-01-2010, 20:16
I think my collection of Fexes will be split between keeping some as they are and taking some apart to form some of the new MCs

Venerable_Brother
04-01-2010, 20:35
Buy some!
Modular magnetic magic!

=

Carnifex!
Tervigon!
Harpy! (this one is ambitious, but I have my plan!...balrog or HE Dragon...thats the question!)
Tyrannofex (with Trygon)

Makes me a hapy bunny. Even if the standard Carnifex won't get used as much...if it does, it'll be screamer killer...in a brood of 3.

Venerable

starlight
04-01-2010, 20:50
All of the above. :p

Seriously, I have enough Carnifexes that I can't field them all in one FOC, so altering some of them isn't a big deal if it keeps them off the shelf and on the tabletop... :)

Venerable_Brother
04-01-2010, 20:59
Thats the ticket!
Keep the fex model in use.
Its such a thing of ...beauty. Sort of. You know what I mean.

I'm not sure I'm bothered by the fex nerf, as long as GW gives me an outlet to use the model.
I'm in it to win it, if I have to use new and different units to do so, but still get that 'fex look...cool.

Venerable.

gorgon
04-01-2010, 21:18
Actually, after one game I'm not sure the Dakkafex is all that dead. I had a screamer-killer expire right after podding in thanks to a Death Company. Now while a DC is in the upper echelon of hittiness, I think the CC fex is going to struggle against elite CC units with rending or high S power weapon attacks. If you can point it at Tac squads or vehicles, then you're in business.

Meanwhile, I can see the value in having a Dakkafex pod in with Devourers blazing and the pod chipping in too. That's a $hitload of S6 shooting. If it gets charged, well, it has 4 attacks. It lacks the rerolls and probably won't do much, but it's going to get rolled by heavy hitters with or without the rerolls anyway.

razormasticator
04-01-2010, 21:22
Actually, after one game I'm not sure the Dakkafex is all that dead. I had a screamer-killer expire right after podding in thanks to a Death Company. Now while a DC is in the upper echelon of hittiness, I think the CC fex is going to struggle against elite CC units with rending or high S power weapon attacks. If you can point it at Tac squads or vehicles, then you're in business.

Meanwhile, I can see the value in having a Dakkafex pod in with Devourers blazing and the pod chipping in too. That's a $hitload of S6 shooting. If it gets charged, well, it has 4 attacks. It lacks the rerolls and probably won't do much, but it's going to get rolled by heavy hitters with or without the rerolls anyway.

I was thinking the same thing.

And apparently so was this batrep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E47lpGIEjZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx_9yT-DA3A

player21
05-01-2010, 01:12
Start a bug collection. Like you all had to do in high school. With a nice styrofoam backing and pins. And you label all the different fexs too!