PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Founding and lefties

rabblerouser
04-01-2010, 16:02
Funny thing I noticed... a surprising number of the Legion of the Damned aka. Fire Hawks are left handed. Is this another one of those genetic idiosyncrasies that plague the 21st founding? Surely left handed marines are not part of the Emperors design since there are NO left handed models for the genetically pure chapters.

marv335
04-01-2010, 16:09
Left handed people are evil.
Well known Fact.
;)
OK, maybe not evil, but definitely Sinister.

DaSpaceAsians
04-01-2010, 16:15
Or freaking lucky. My best buddy used to roll heavenly dice. I think I saw four rending wound with an assault cannon once. Needless to say, my squad was gone.

Necanthrope
04-01-2010, 16:18
Marines are ambidextrous according to the Inquisitor rules. Although I suppose a geneflaw could make them revert to having a dominant hand.

rabblerouser
04-01-2010, 16:28
Marines are ambidextrous according to the Inquisitor rules. Although I suppose a geneflaw could make them revert to having a dominant hand.

Well then why is every single tactical marine right handed? Devestators and scouts too!

Rirekon
04-01-2010, 16:32
Well then why is every single tactical marine right handed? Devestators and scouts too!

Because the Bolter's ejection port is on the right-side :rolleyes:;):D

Lord Malorne
04-01-2010, 16:40
Why do people obsess over left handed things in this game, its mind boggling!

Lord Malorne

rabblerouser
04-01-2010, 16:50
Because the Bolter's ejection port is on the right-side :rolleyes:;):D

Ah yes, but it's only on the right side so that the spent casings don't scuff the holy aquila when fired by right handed marines as the Emperor intended.

Thud
04-01-2010, 17:18
Well known Fact.
;)

Oh, puntastic! :p

I think it's just a coincidence, to be honest. GW had to choose either right or left handed back in the day for Marines, so obviously it would be right handed, and now that the technology has been improved for casting they throw in a leftie here and there.

twistinthunder
04-01-2010, 18:54
its just a molding thing, remember the current marine sprue has actually changed that much, besides it's easier to match up arms if they're all the same.

sulla
04-01-2010, 18:59
OK, maybe not evil, but definitely Sinister.Har, har...

IcedAnimals
04-01-2010, 19:05
My black templar upgrade kit came with a few left handed bolt pistols.

Lothlanathorian
04-01-2010, 19:39
Yes, and Assault Marines carry a weapon in each hand and there are guns in left and right hands and so on.

And Marv, good sir, I lol at thee.

Decius
04-01-2010, 20:15
Bolters have ejection ports on both sides. Go ahead, take a look!

rabblerouser
04-01-2010, 20:22
My black templar upgrade kit came with a few left handed bolt pistols.

That's different... in that case the marine happens to be primarily using the chainsword, so he wields it in his right hand.

Lord Malorne
04-01-2010, 20:25
:rolleyes:

Hand weapons have been either for ahwile now, it is bolters that have been right handed for a long time.

Lord Malorne

Baragash
04-01-2010, 20:44
Maybe hockey is part of the sacred training regime?

The pestilent 1
04-01-2010, 22:09
Well known Fact.
;)

I'm left handed.

Make of this what you will :shifty:

Doppleskanger
04-01-2010, 22:53
Its just a modeling thing for the plastic sprues.
If you look at the rest of the range there is lots of variation. For instance
All the Librarians have the force weapon in the right hand, except for Tigurius
six chaplains have the crozius in the right hand, three in the left
The metal apothecoraries have the narthecium and reductor on the right, the plastic one in the command squad box is on the left
Power weapons are held in the left hand by the master of the watch, the terminator captain, the company champion etc etc

To the OP
It's a nice idea, but I think incorrect. Now try proving they weren't all ginger!

Archangel_Ruined
04-01-2010, 22:58
No, ginger is a genetic flaw, thus they would be destroyed during the training process.

Lothlanathorian
04-01-2010, 23:14
Oh dear, now you've gone and done it.

And I've seen ginger Space Wolves...

And there are left handed Space Wolves, too....:shifty:

Lyinar
04-01-2010, 23:32
And everyone knows the Space Wolves are one of the most deviant Chapters out there! :p

Rirekon
04-01-2010, 23:58
No, ginger is a genetic flaw, thus they would be destroyed during the training process.

I lol'd :D

IcedAnimals
04-01-2010, 23:58
That's different... in that case the marine happens to be primarily using the chainsword, so he wields it in his right hand.

But it comes with swords for both right and left hands and bolt pistols for right and left hands. So you can not brush it off quite so easily. So in keeping with the idea that your melee weapon needing your better hand when that melee weapon is in their left hand they are a left handed marine.

Sir_Turalyon
05-01-2010, 00:59

Because back when power armour had left shoulder pads reinforced to protect marine that faces enemy with left side, guillman wrote in codex astrates that right handed is only correct way to fire a bolter, then forgot / was not around to amend it when mark vii armour was issued :rolleyes: .

The pestilent 1
05-01-2010, 02:23
Because back when power armour had left shoulder pads reinforced to protect marine that faces enemy with left side, guillman wrote in codex astrates that right handed is only correct way to fire a bolter, then forgot / was not around to amend it when mark vii armour was issued :rolleyes: .

Bureaucracy.
I can buy that answer.

Voss
05-01-2010, 02:59

Actually many armies throughout history have trained soldiers to fight with the same hand regardless of the individual's 'handedness.' Its a practical matter- you don't have to separate people out to drill them in slightly different techniques, and also allows for more coordination- You can't stand in the same position to guard a buddy if his backswing is coming in a different direction.

And since the majority of the population is right handed, the obvious thing to do is train for right handed fighting. I learned this the hard way when I was learning to use a rifle, since I can't close my left eye independently of my right. This was a problem, since the cartridge ejected from the right side...

Archangel_Ruined
05-01-2010, 11:40
As a side note, I don't think I'd teach anyone how to use a rifle if they can't close one eye at a time. Doesn't seem safe somehow... Anyway, all us lefties needn't worry about right handed prejudice, statistics show we'll all die sooner than them anyway (makes you wonder how they compiled the statistic showing that we average a higher IQ though doesn't it?).

ManicMunky
05-01-2010, 13:10
There are plenty of right-handed idiots!

pookie
05-01-2010, 13:30
its all Marneus Calgars Fault!

NightrawenII
05-01-2010, 17:31
its all Marneus Calgars Fault!
Nope.
C'tan did it.

Earthbeard
05-01-2010, 18:42

I take offence at this, as do the space wolves and many others :P

Corax
08-01-2010, 05:02
Actually many armies throughout history have trained soldiers to fight with the same hand regardless of the individual's 'handedness.' Its a practical matter- you don't have to separate people out to drill them in slightly different techniques, and also allows for more coordination- You can't stand in the same position to guard a buddy if his backswing is coming in a different direction.

I think this is the most plausible explanation of the righthand bias of Space Marines. Although given all the physical alteration made to human physiology to turn humans into Marines, you would have thought that the Emperor might have simply made them ambidextrous. Of course, for all I know, maybe they are and the handedness thing is simply a tradition (as is the case in the Japanese sword arts).

And since the majority of the population is right handed, the obvious thing to do is train for right handed fighting. I learned this the hard way when I was learning to use a rifle, since I can't close my left eye independently of my right. This was a problem, since the cartridge ejected from the right side...

This has been rectified to some degree in some of the more modern infantry rifles such as the Steyr AUG (used by the Australian military), which has a reversible cheek-piece that allows the user to have the casings eject or either side according to their own handedness. I believe that the "eject-to-right" thing is a bit of hangover from older designs and as new weapons are developed, alternative methods of casing disposal will be utilised (up until the time when someone manages to make caseless ammo viable, of course).

Bloodknight
08-01-2010, 09:40
@Archangel_Ruined: depends. The Bundeswehr teaches shooting with both eyes open. It's supposed to have a positive effect, but I can't remember why, it's been a long time.

@Corax: the G36 has a casing deflector, too, and the cocking lever goes both ways.
Our MG3 machine gun ejects the emptied casings downwards, so it's ambidextrous, too, and that is a design from 1942.

Corax
08-01-2010, 09:46
@Bloodknight: I yield to your superior gun-fu. :cries:

Corn Berserker
08-01-2010, 11:31
As a side note, I don't think I'd teach anyone how to use a rifle if they can't close one eye at a time. Doesn't seem safe somehow... Anyway, all us lefties needn't worry about right handed prejudice, statistics show we'll all die sooner than them anyway (makes you wonder how they compiled the statistic showing that we average a higher IQ though doesn't it?).

Seen it a few times on the ranges myself. Usually the staff just issue an eyepatch to the shooter to cover the eye they ca't close. Makes them look like an awesome pirate too.