PDA

View Full Version : choas god partnerships- which to use?

orange-peel
04-01-2010, 19:30
Hey, i have been contemplating a chaos marines army for quite a while now and, after christmas money has been fully recieved, i will be commencing.

Now, i want to try a competative list because my orks are just a fun army.

I was wondering which chaos god partnerships (i want a two-god army) do you believe to be the best? This is fluff aside and from a totally gaming point of view.

Please can you say which partnership and also write why.

IcedAnimals
04-01-2010, 19:32
Slaanesh for lash and nurgle for plague marines?

Vedar
04-01-2010, 19:36
Umm Orks are one of the most competitive armies out there and Daemons are generaly a "fun" army.

If you are going for a competative Daemon list and want to stick with 2 options, I'd go Khorne and Tzeench. Why? Tzeentch for much needed shooting and Khorne for up close love. Though fluff wise they tend to hate each other.

Lordsaradain
04-01-2010, 19:39
Depends on what army you want to play, but a sorceror of slaanesh with lash joining a unit of khorne berzerkers is a quite deadly combo(and deadly unfluffy).

I like to give my termies mark of Tzeentch because I think 4+ invurnerable save is great, especially if you deep strike. A Tzeentch DP is pretty good too.

But plague marines are very good too, especially for holding objectives and similar stuff.

So, before you decide which gods you will pick, decide which playstyle you prefer.

Mannimarco
04-01-2010, 19:46
bah twin god lists! why not go mono nurgle?

thats right folks, mono nurgle: for the newb and the vet alike (oh and mono lists are competitive, mine is anyway)

Thud
04-01-2010, 20:47
Slaanesh for lash and nurgle for plague marines?

That's the general sentiment, yeah.

IMHO, you won't go far wrong as long as you run with Plague Marines, so the second god is pretty much up to what you prefer.*

*There are a few exceptions here, of course. Thousand Sons, as an example, are rather unimpressive, so you might want to stay away from those.

bigcheese76
04-01-2010, 21:01
Id advise Tzeentch and Khorne.
Tzeentch because Thousand Sons are awesome and Tzeentch isnt a bad mark to give to other units like posessed, raptors and chosen.
Khorne because it is a great mark to give to termies, after you have paid points for all their wargear you may aswell get an extra attack out of it. Also Kharn the Betrayer is a pretty cool character to field.
If you want some models for your new army pretty cheap, Im selling a load of chaos here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237158

orange-peel
04-01-2010, 21:36
Cheers for all the replies guys. Im still rather unsure because there seems to be mixed reviews with the tzeentch (mainly thousand sons) whats do you think about these guys?

Mannimarco
04-01-2010, 21:41
overcosted for what they do, AP3 is so last edition, in this day and age its all about the cover save

and at the bare minimum the sorcerer (who you must take) costs 70pts on his own, yes its nice to have a hidden force weapon but theyre just far to expensive

chaos0xomega
04-01-2010, 21:45
another one for tzeentch and khorne or tzeentch and slaanesh, both complement eachother nicely. Alternatively nurgle and khorne or nurgle and slaanesh. But definitely not tzeentch/nurgle, as the two have pretty similar strengths/weaknesses (and you will find your nurgle marines generally outperforming the tzeentch ones).

Arvendragon
04-01-2010, 22:41
Why not all four?

Slaanesh for Lash + Sonic Dakka Factories
Khorne for Spartan Prince + Khorne Berzerkers
Nurgle for Plague Marines and Toughtness
Tzeetch for the Warptime+Wind of Chaos Prince + AP3 Bolters + 4++ Save

chaos0xomega
04-01-2010, 22:51
Because he says he wants a 2 god combo.

Inach
04-01-2010, 23:00
First of all, I asume you want CSM and not Daemons.

Like it had been said before, what is your playstyle? I have CSM and Crons as MEQ and Daemons. The Daemons army makes me mostly the aggresive player while Crons and even csm (save zerkers) are more shooting armies.
As CSM offensive army I would advise to go Khorne (zerkers in a landraider and fire support from Tzeentch or Slaanesh. As Defensive CSN go Nurgle and again Tzeentch or Slaanesh.
For daemons it's different: offensive (like I love to play) Khorne and Slaanesh (soulgrinders can do the shooting) or defensive nurgle (or Khorne (crushers are very resillient and can counter attack like no one else) and Tzeentch.

my 2 cents

Dexter099
05-01-2010, 01:17
Tzeentch and Nurgle for resilience against everything. Both can fight in combat as well, Tzeentch with a warptimed force weapon and Nurgle with a powerfist and blight grenades.

ooglatjama
05-01-2010, 01:26
bah twin god lists! why not go mono nurgle?

thats right folks, mono nurgle: for the newb and the vet alike (oh and mono lists are competitive, mine is anyway)

I find it funny that mono-nurgle is competitive in all systems with both armies of their respective systems.

Epicenter
05-01-2010, 03:25
Take combos that might not be effective, but will drive the fluff-nuts crazy: Khorne + Slaanesh or Tzeentch + Nurgle. ;)

More seriously, Plague Marines are just about the most underpriced troops in all of 40k right now. Competitive armies, by defintion, should take max out on your codex's strong units of your codex and minimize stuff taken "for fun."

I think that means that one-half of your dual-god army is a "no-brainer."

My personal opinion is that you should combine Khorne and Tzeentch. Khorne allows you Berserkers as Troops. While you can always contest objectives with whatever unit, I find that in 5th edition, to push the Toughness 4 armies off of objectives in cover and make them yours alone, you need to assault them - shooting them is inefficient and rather uneven in result. Khorne Berserkers are ideal for this. You'll lose out on Lash, but ironically, in a competitive environment, that's not a bad thing - the power is something of a crutch.

orange-peel
05-01-2010, 18:03
Im not really a fan of slaneesh to be honest so it is really out of khorne, tzeentch and nurgle. Just not sure of the combination..

Earthbeard
05-01-2010, 18:40
I find it funny that mono-nurgle is competitive in all systems with both armies of their respective systems.

I find it lovely, Papa Nurgle is the greatest of all.

About time Khorne was knocked off his blood coated pedestal, less said about the step child tzeentch the better.

DeadlySquirrel
05-01-2010, 19:59
id go khorne and nurgle, plauge marines for holding objectives etc and zerkers for killing things =]

then 2 units of termies, one with mark of khorne and the other with the mark of nurgle.

orange-peel
05-01-2010, 22:49
Does any one know the best way to make the army string together between the two gods, i dont want it to look like i have got two different armies on the board.

Mannimarco
05-01-2010, 23:24
take a look in the chaos dex, the have black legion with various cult troops still using the black legion colour scheme IIRC

orange-peel
06-01-2010, 20:03
I was wondering what do you believe was a better choice as my supporting unit noise marines or thousand sons

DeadlySquirrel
06-01-2010, 21:22
1. have squads with marks being lead by characters with a different mark?

2. have a universal paint scheme but only have, say, one shoulder pad in a different colour to show which warband/legion it originates from. Look on the GW website for the gallery of renegade marines and there are images of world eater, plauge marines etc in black legion colours.

Dvnjhn
06-01-2010, 22:28
I use Slaneesh on my Chaos Term lord, with lightning claws, and 4 Lightning Clawed Terms (with anouther 2 terms with chain fist and power fist with 2 combi melta) and also with my other Term units if I can afford it. The init 6 and 5 means that against other Special Characters the lord goes mostly first, and the Lightning Clawed Terms go either first or at the same time as special characters, usually first against all else.

Plague marines as stated before are rock solid for either defence or attack.
Khornate Bezerkers in a Landraider with a Chaos lord with deamon weapon is a really effective anti infintary unit.

I would bet that even if you start with dual gods, you will soon develope into a more hedonistic debased Polytheism... But if you want a good defensive and attacking army, I would recommend Khorne and Nurgle. For full out attack Khorne and Slaneesh and for a total defensive army Nurgle and Tzeench.

Not all will agree, but this is my opinion.

What ever you choose, CSM are a great army to play.

orange-peel
07-01-2010, 00:09
No doubt i will as i find myself wanting more flavour in the army. I really like the look of CSM because did not wasnt to go for the bog standard vanilla marines, i particularly like the diversity in the troop choices. Hopefuly i will get an army that i am roud of (painting) but also competative on the battle field.

Dvnjhn
07-01-2010, 08:05
Yeh, I made up my own csm chapter. The Covenanted, basiclly a chapter who have embraced and entered a covenant with the Chaos gods. Its good being able to have your own colour scheme and individual preferences in your army.

fable_dd
07-01-2010, 19:29
Hi there,

I hope Im not to late with my vision.

First I choose Tzeentch cause I found the models and colors schemes best. In the couple of games played with tzeentch as the base of my army I found that they lack close combat abilities but otherwise were great.

I Like Tzeentch best for HQ with the ease of using psichic powers They have all kind of goodies.

For brute fighting Khorne are simply the best and are therefore the best compareson.

Id choose Tzeentch and Khorne.

I must say I am unformiliar with nurgle cause their only mini I do like is Thyphus

I wish you many wins Daniel

TheWarSmith
08-01-2010, 05:28
I'd go Khorne and Tzeench. Why? Tzeentch for much needed shooting and Khorne for up close love. Though fluff wise they tend to hate each other.

Actually, that's a very common misconception. While they're not buddy buddy, it's Nurgle and Tzeentch that are most oppositely aligned, as are Slaanesh and Khorne. Yes, Khorne distrusts magic, but magic is not the central background theme of Tzeentch.

orange-peel
08-01-2010, 19:16
Thanks for the replys guys. I ws just wondering which you thought were better noise marines or thousand sons?

AmasNagol
08-01-2010, 19:44
Slaanesh and Nurgle *sniggers*

Black Legionaire
09-01-2010, 17:49
Either a khorne and nurgle or a tzeech and slaneesh!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Scratch & Sniff
09-01-2010, 19:42
I would say Nurgle for the toughness and Tzneetch for the save bonus. Boh have staying power and could work well combined

DeadlySquirrel
09-01-2010, 19:59
In answer to the newest question, id say noise marines. Thousand sons are WAY overpriced for what they do and arent as good at it as noise marines.

vladsimpaler
09-01-2010, 20:03
Actually, that's a very common misconception. While they're not buddy buddy, it's Nurgle and Tzeentch that are most oppositely aligned, as are Slaanesh and Khorne. Yes, Khorne distrusts magic, but magic is not the central background theme of Tzeentch.

Well, Khorne distrusts magic used as trickery.

He has enslaved wizards to make enchanted weapons, which surprise surprise are used for death.

So I imagine that Khorne quite likes those who use magic...as long as they are either dead or working in his factories creating weapons for him. ;)