PDA

View Full Version : 2k dark elves. Please review

scar face
04-01-2010, 19:41
I am relatively new to fantasy, so i would much appreciate C&C- thanks much.

Dreadlord
black dragon, pendant of khaeeth, armour of darkness, crimson death

sorceress
2 dispel scrolls

master
BSB, cold one, sea dragon cloak, ring of hotek, shield, lance, heavy armour

5 darkriders
musician

5 darkriders
musician

6 harpies

6 harpies

5 cold ones
dread knight, standard

hydra

hydra

8 shades
bloodshade, great weapons

8 shades
bloodshade, great weapons

cheers,

scar.

Slashattack
04-01-2010, 19:45
The list is illegal as you ownly have two core. The Harpies do not count to the three needed for 2k games. Throw out a unit of harpies and get rid of the blood shades and you could get a naked unit of dark riders I think. Is this list for tournaments or friendly games by the way? As it's very strong because of your dragon, hydra, shade cheese. So it'll do well in tournaments but in friendlies people may not face you at all or very little.

scar face
04-01-2010, 19:53
The list is illegal as you ownly have two core. The Harpies do not count to the three needed for 2k games. Throw out a unit of harpies and get rid of the blood shades and you could get a naked unit of dark riders I think. Is this list for tournaments or friendly games by the way? As it's very strong because of your dragon, hydra, shade cheese. So it'll do well in tournaments but in friendlies people may not face you at all or very little.

The people I usually play are very accomplished and I'm relatively new to fantasy. Thanks for the help. The harpies were for march block, but is 1 unit too few?

scar

Slashattack
04-01-2010, 20:19
I only run one myself and two five man shade units and find that thats enough for march blocking. While even without your extra unit of harpies you have 3 units of dark riders, a dragon, a unit of harpies and 2 units of shade which can all march block very well. I see no real need for another march blocker. Also with the lord I know that old pendant he has is very good and normally works. But maybe you could consider swapping it for the black amulet, it may be expensive however it gives you protection against attacks without a strength value or things with low strength like creeping death which the pendant can't handle.You could then drop the crimson death and give him a lance as you should be combining your charges and breaking units on the charge. Also the black amulet is great fun when you pass a save and cause damage back to your opponents lord. Especially things like Vampire Lords and Greater Daemons, I think it even works on obsidian armour.

SteelyPhil
04-01-2010, 21:11
As another idea, maybe try the Celador's bane (+3S) Strength Potion (+3S) and Pendant of Khaleth (ward save of doom). You can't take on front's of Combat Res 5 but should do ok against flanks and Combat Res 3 or so.
Also, i've never found shades that good with Great weapons, unless you have that banner that makes you strike first and death star it (but if you play with friends they will hate you).

scar face
05-01-2010, 16:10
Thanks for the advice.. I was going to use shades to destroy enemy war machines and flanking units, so on the charge, I will get to strike first with great weps. 1 will probably drop a bloodshade (or both) to add in another unit of dark riders and possibly a null talisman to someone....

scar.

kaubin
05-01-2010, 16:24
I'd get rid of either the Pendant of Khaleth or the Armour or Darkness, the lord character with just a Pendant and normal armour should have no problem. That gives you the opportunity to take better stuff, either keeping the lord as is and adding a third core option or boosting up your characters.

Shades are good but annoying, I would cut down their numbers to only 1 unit, especially since you might have a hard time finding a place for the second unit if there isn't much terrain. With those changes you could buy yourself 2 units of 10 crossbowmen, which are really good at protecting your flank, or an assassin for the Shades. Manbane with repeater xbox is really useful, if you play an army with high toughness, you could be shooting out 2 str 6 AP shots that hit on 2+, and still have the money to tool him out as a close combat beast if someone tries to do in your shades.

scar face
05-01-2010, 16:45
ok... is there any protection I can give the dragon?

scar

kaubin
05-01-2010, 18:17
ok... is there any protection I can give the dragon?

scar

The only item you can give that will help your dragon survive better is the Ring of Darkness, which means that most shooting directed against him will be resolved at BS 2, so hitting your dragon on a 4+ at short range instead of 3+ or 2+. The thing is that it takes up your talisman choice, so no pendant, and it is 40 points. You can still use the armour of eternal servitude to get a regeneration save as well as a pretty decent armour save for your lord, and if people decide to target him in close combat, they will be hitting on 5+.

LKHERO
05-01-2010, 18:35
The Dragon is fine with his current setup. Give your Master Pearl of ItP and drop the 8 Shades for an Assassin.

scar face
05-01-2010, 19:51
The Dragon is fine with his current setup. Give your Master Pearl of ItP and drop the 8 Shades for an Assassin.

Sorry, I dont have my army book handy, so what does pearl of ItP do. Which unit shall I put the assassin in and I wouldn't really want to drop the ring of hotek would I- or should I put it on the dread knight?

scar face
05-01-2010, 20:12
Hmmm, I might be investing in that assassin after all... in the shade unit or a dark rider unit?

scar

fubukii
05-01-2010, 21:20
drop 2 harpies and give your cold ones the warbanner :)

tmarichards
05-01-2010, 23:13
Pearl of Infinite Bleakness, makes the bearer and any unit they join ItP (Immune to Psychology).

Doesn't make the unit ignore stupidity though, just fear, terror, panic and certain spells

leeoaks
05-01-2010, 23:19
strong tourney list make it legal and you can make your own tweaks as you play.

scar face
06-01-2010, 08:19
Ok, thanks... can the assassin start with the dark riders or cold ones or can he only deploy in my infantry- shades.

thanks,

scar.

kaubin
06-01-2010, 14:35
In the book they specifically write which units he can be in. None of those units are cavalry or harpies, so no assassin in dark riders or cold ones. For an offensive assassin, people usually put him in shades as they start right up in front and can maximize the amount of time he will be in combat, and you can place him at the end where you want, giving him additional sniping potential for characters.

scar face
07-01-2010, 08:21
yeah, i've just realised that he can only be with my shades...

great :)

tmarichards
07-01-2010, 08:54
Still nasty though- you can scout the shades 10" from the enemy out of line of sight, then reveal the assassin , place him anywhere within 1" of his 'parent' unit and then charge him out on the first turn. Perfect for getting rid of mages, war machines or monsters depending on how he's kitted out.

I'd drop the Bloodshades, personally I haven't found the additional BS to be better than a whole extra shade. Frees you up an extra 36 points.

scar face
07-01-2010, 09:29
I've revised the list and it stands like this now:

dreadlord
black drahon, pendant of khaeleth, crimson death, armour of darkness

sorceress
dark steed, 2 dispel scrolls

master
BSB, cold one, sea drag cloak, ring of hotek, heavy armour, lance.

5 dark riders
musician

5 dark riders
musician

5 dark riders
musician

6 harpies

5 cold ones
standard, dread knight

war hydra

war hydra

10 shades
great weapons

5 shades
great weapons

OK- is there any way to get an assassin that goes with my list well into my list- I will probably make both shade squad 5 men instead of a 5 man and a 10 man- though 90 extra points to spare isn't really enough for an effective assassin.

thanks,

scar.

LKHERO
07-01-2010, 09:33
10-man Shade unit = a very tooled up Assassin geared for CC.

151 points for EHW, Rune of Khaine and Manbane.

scar face
07-01-2010, 11:38
So I should drop the 5 man unit of shades and what else to fit the assassin in?

scar face
07-01-2010, 16:13
anyone?

scar

The Red Scourge
07-01-2010, 16:16
Wow! A DE list based on a dragon and 2 hydras, thats got to be a first :D

scar face
07-01-2010, 17:27
Really?

scar

LKHERO
07-01-2010, 17:34
Really?

scar

No, not really. 75% of the competitive lists are there are based on this. Quite boring actually.

scar face
07-01-2010, 17:37
oh, it's not meant for ultra-compettive gaming- because i'm a fantasy beginner, it wont be ultra-hard

scar

LKHERO
07-01-2010, 17:38
oh, it's not meant for ultra-compettive gaming- because i'm a fantasy beginner, it wont be ultra-hard

scar

News flash: Your list is ultra-hard.

scar face
07-01-2010, 20:28
Any idea at how, I would deal with largte, ranked-up, stubborn units and the large.. especially as one of my friends plays vampire counts tarpit and raising army :|

News flash: Your list is ultra-hard.

Likewise, most of my friends at my local GW play hard lists and hell do they play them well... :)

scar.

LKHERO
07-01-2010, 20:33
Black Guard with ASF banner will statistically kill a ton of models and force a lot of raises. They're Stubborn on a 9 and ItP. If you take them with a BSB w/ Ring of Darkness, he'll never die. (halving WS on WS3 means everyone hits him on 5s).

scar face
07-01-2010, 20:37
Thanks for that help, and i'll take it in mind, but is there any specific tactic/unit in my list that would be suited to killing these units... thanks,

scar

LKHERO
07-01-2010, 21:55
Thanks for that help, and i'll take it in mind, but is there any specific tactic/unit in my list that would be suited to killing these units... thanks,

scar

Redirect with Dark Riders and flank with your Dragon/Hydra.

scar face
08-01-2010, 15:14
Ok, that will hopefully sort things out,

thanks,

scar.