PDA

View Full Version : Beerhammer I: Battle in the Basement

Anvilbrow
05-01-2010, 04:12
After some work to get it off the ground (and to get my wife and kids out of the house for the weekend) I am finally hosting Beerhammer I: Battle in the Basement.

The idea.

I have hosted tournaments in the past and love to use a "sealed army" approach. Imagine you come to the tournament, draw an army list out of a hat, get about thirty minutes to familiarize yourself with it and then play a three game tournament. Quite simple really.

Now add beer. Lots of beer. Want a re-roll of ANY die? Simply take a shot of beer. Want to re-roll those fifteen misses from your archers? Simply quaff fifteen ounces of beer and have at it. Any die can be re-rolled once after paying the price (a one ounce shot).

Mix in some really strange (and somewhat un-PC) scenarios. What, my general has to spend D3 turns in the john? I get points for assaulting and pillaging lego people walking around the village?

Add NFL wildcard playoffs on the widescreen, barbecued ribs and a bottle of scotch, and you've got Beerhammer I: Battle in the Basement.

Luckily I have a big basement, enough tables and scenery for four games simultaneously, and own every fantasy army so players need bring only two things; sleeping bag (nobody drives home) and beer. With the wife and kids jetting off to Hawaii for the week, the stage is set. The beer is chilling. Battle reports to follow after the weekend...

mfv
05-01-2010, 04:19
You sir are a god!:cries:

Nicha11
05-01-2010, 05:54
Battle reports to follow after the weekend...

Sir if you can remember what happened that weekend you deserve deity status.

zetaplus
05-01-2010, 06:00
Only the greatest of men sends his family on holiday to make time for wargaming. We, sir, salute you!

chaos0xomega
05-01-2010, 06:00
Oh, please dear god, yes, this is an awesome idea.

Hats off to you sir, for you are a man amongst men.

shadow hunter
05-01-2010, 07:33
Its a good idea, apart from the missing out on Hawaii part. I'd make them go to the mother inlaws and save the money.

Toshiro
05-01-2010, 08:21
That...is... ************ amazing!

You've just achieved hero status, that sounds so awesome, god I wish I could join! :D

Seabo
05-01-2010, 12:34
Wow....
That just sounds awesome!!
Beer and a strategic, out-think your opponent, tactics based table top game....doesn't get any better :D

Awilla the Hun
05-01-2010, 15:20
Comrade Von Stahl salutes your valiant efforts to render various capitalist exploiter-generals completely (even more) senseless and intoxicated with delicious but decadent, corruption-causing beverages.

Once Bitten
05-01-2010, 15:34
Next time you hold Beerhammer ... count me in! Sounds like a blast.

Naestran
05-01-2010, 16:53
WOW
:D:D:D
:eek::eek::eek:

Praise be to Anvilbrow

Malorian
05-01-2010, 16:53
Me and some buddies actually tried something close to this (I was the ref).

They were allowed to reroll any dice but each time they had to take a shot of rum. After two shots they decided it wasn't worth it any more ;)

One thing they said would be better is if you could take a shot to make your opponent reroll a dice.

wena
05-01-2010, 16:57
oh wow - I'm still laughing. This has got to be one of the best posts ever. Can I please come?!?!...

SevenSins
05-01-2010, 18:21
hahahaha what an amusing idea, to bad I love my minis to much to do something similar (my friends in general aren't to good at measurements; ounce? pint? they mess it up)

Crazydu
05-01-2010, 22:40
:D I want a basement now, am envious!

Dungeon_Lawyer
05-01-2010, 23:34
Next time you hold Beerhammer ... count me in! Sounds like a blast.

next time, hell im ready to go now. If you need an alternate pm me!

We had a simialr concept for bloodbowl. One beer = a score. So you could score by playing the game and by chugging beers. It was great, especially once guys got toasted and the illeagal procedures starting coming fast and furious. pUKING WAS AN INSTANT LOSS.

There was a surpirsing amount of stratedgy involved in beerbowl----

lord marcus
06-01-2010, 01:59
Oh.....my......SIGMAR! GRUNGNI would be PROUD!

Anvilbrow
06-01-2010, 02:23
Its a good idea, apart from the missing out on Hawaii part. I'd make them go to the mother inlaws and save the money.

In a sense that is what is happening. Mother in Law is going with them to her Hawaiian timeshare...

TBH, I'd prefer going to Hawaii as well, but alas, work got in the way.

Dungeon_Lawyer
07-01-2010, 06:32
In a sense that is what is happening. Mother in Law is going with them to her Hawaiian timeshare...

TBH, I'd prefer going to Hawaii as well, but alas, work got in the way.

"Work", meaning your administrative duties overseeing Beerhammer I of course.:D

ryszard
07-01-2010, 16:30
Ultimate Warhammer! you have taken over from Homer Simpson as my role model.

Arguleon-veq
07-01-2010, 19:56
Haha sounds awesome, although you should have something stronger than a shot of beer, your not going to have enough shots in a game for it to really have any effect. Make it something at least 10-15%.

Bard Harlock
07-01-2010, 20:54
Haha sounds awesome, although you should have something stronger than a shot of beer, your not going to have enough shots in a game for it to really have any effect. Make it something at least 10-15%.

Oh, I dunno. Downing a can of beer for the misses on 12 models would be pretty effective for the first game or two. You are likely looking at a can or two per turn on your own re-rolls. Add in a can or two more on your opponents turn, or to add wounds, etc. and I can picture a basement full of staggering men slurring their charge declarations in no time.

Dungeon_Lawyer
07-01-2010, 23:37
Oh, I dunno. Downing a can of beer for the misses on 12 models would be pretty effective for the first game or two. You are likely looking at a can or two per turn on your own re-rolls. Add in a can or two more on your opponents turn, or to add wounds, etc. and I can picture a basement full of staggering men slurring their charge declarations in no time.

I agree!-- Cause if it were me, Id be re-rolling everything every chance I got!

Even if I didnt need to!:chrome:

Anvilbrow
07-01-2010, 23:58
I anticipate players re-rolling nearly everything in the first game, picking their spots in the second game and I'll be happy if everyone is still upright for the third round.

I'm talking dice rolls for EVERYTHING. Don't like those spells you got? Rather go first? All leadership, hitting, wounding, saving, flee, pursuit, random dice rolls (one of the armies has 12 fanatics). Having done this once before many years ago, I know it is quite possible to consume more than anticipated.

I'm off to prepare the basement and collect my kids' LEGO civilians for one of the scenarios...

sergio
09-01-2010, 02:49

i guess you've never played Power Hour before, since beerhammer probably equates to a VERY similar pace, if not much worse

power hour is where you take a 2 ounce shot of beer once a minute, for 60 minutes (some heavier drinkers do 100 minutes)

it *sounds* like the easiest thing in the world. a few sips of beer every once in a while? no problem. until you do the math and realize it's a full beer every 6 minutes, 10 beers in one hour. so you REALLY don't want to be drinking stuff like guinness or anything real heavy

beerhammer sounds like the drinking would come in much more vast quantities, at roughly the same pace

i may steal this idea by the way =D

snurl
09-01-2010, 08:38
Our own games have a 3 drink minimum, but you have elevated it above and beyond our pitiful effort.
Not sure where you are at but if it's within 100 miles of Lancaster PA I would love to come next time and I will bring a case of Moosehead along.

Naestran
09-01-2010, 16:49
When you write out the Brs can you keep like a tally chart of how many shots each player has had, so we can see how much they can take before they fall apart lol!

I just thought it would be interesting

lord marcus
10-01-2010, 16:50
will you be giving an extra special rule to someone if they use bugman in thier army?

FLUEVOG
10-01-2010, 17:15
Reporting in, I made it home alive. As Anvilbrow predicted, people drank pretty heavy Game One and were a bit sloshed come turns 5 and 6. Game Two people paced themselves a little better but a few guys looked like they shouldn't be operating heavy machinery. We didn't make it to Game Three.

The lists and scenarios were great - toned down and everyone had an unfamiliar army. My first opponent didn't realize his skink priest was level 2 until turn three and I spent about twenty minutes trying figure out what the hell my Doomwheel did.

Everyone started out with a shot of scotch. Its Seattle, so most people drank microbrews although one guy unwisely continued to pound scotch - I believe he drank an entire fifth through Game One (!!!) and later lost 500 VP for puking after Game Two. Goodbye $100.

Fun times, count me in next year

Anvilbrow
10-01-2010, 20:19
Aaron, glad to see you made it home alive...

For those interested, I did take photos during round one, sadly I can't find my camera this morning, and the basement smells so bad, I don't want to go down there.

I'll post a summary sometime tonight or tomorrow evening.

Oh and by the way, we played Band Hero until 4am. There's some serious cleanup to do.

Maoriboy007
10-01-2010, 20:46
Awesome...so very Awesome...:)
I feel like the Hippy that missed out on Woodstock :(

Caiphas Cain
10-01-2010, 20:55
That is awesome on so many levels. So I take it everyone survived?

Toshiro
10-01-2010, 20:59
wish I could have been there! :D

Lordsaradain
10-01-2010, 21:05
Sweet! When I have my own house i will definetly do something similar. :)

jaxom
11-01-2010, 20:32
I did not finish the fifth of scotch (18 yo Glenlivet for those keeping score), not even across two games. I probably went through about 200-250ml and then shared a bit with Ernie and Flava. There was almost nothing left of the bottle by the time we were done but I won't claim to have had all of it. Still stands as the stupidest thing I've done in almost 20 years. The last time I was this hammered was a friend's 21st birthday and it earned him the nickname Gene "Gin" Hayes.

Of course... I don't think I drank anything during the second game... Maybe one or two at the very beginning to finish the glass in my hand. I was through most of the 200ml by the end of the first game.

The first game went well. I can say that Animosity is a great rule if you have rerolls. I believe that my Night Goblins covered 27" in the first two turns without calling a Waagh! to launch their Fanatics against a charging chariot on top of 2. (Which was a riot since Anvilbrow was my opponent and planning on rerolling impact hits if he needed to an had a malicious grin on his face until I asked him to stop at 8" and mentioned that I could reroll distance on the Fanatics.) Oh, and we firmly established that rerollable armor-saves don't help when you have rerollable S6 or S7 attacks.

I was in pretty solid shape until the end of the first game in spite of how much I drank. After that I figured out it was still hitting me and I really quit drinking which (especially combined with my already bad state) put me at a serious disadvantage in the second match (against Dwarves)... I started drinking water at that point and didn't puke until well after everyone (including me) had finished game 2 and given up on game 3. At that point I figured out that if there was anything left in my stomach (there was not) I didn't want to absorb any more alcohol. As it was, I think I survived better than a couple of others for going through probably 3-4 liters of water between 10pm and 3am.

Dungeon_Lawyer
12-01-2010, 04:15
HAHA I never thought about how re-rollable grrenskin animosity would be aces in beerhammer....good show!

Unuhexium
12-01-2010, 09:05
Such a beautiful idea... :cries:

kormas
13-01-2010, 03:44
bloody hell, sounds awesome, that would have been great fun, wish i could have been there :D

Lordsaradain
13-01-2010, 06:24
So, what about the models, were theer any "drunken accients" or similar? Involving falling on, crushing, or dropping them.

jaxom
13-01-2010, 07:00
Ya know, I don't think that there were. I believe that all involved (both armies and generals) survived essentially intact. I think our only casualty was a chair.

dangermouse425
13-01-2010, 07:32
Quite possibly the best thing I've read on Warseer. Ever.

ChaosVC
13-01-2010, 07:57
Call me a pussy but I will not let anyone who have down 15 beers be anywhere near my models. In fact I wouldn't let me near my models if I have taken 15 can of beers. no no no no shireee! They are precious...

Gammalfarmor
13-01-2010, 19:46
best
thread
ever

FailSafe07
14-01-2010, 18:17
I have to agree with the general consensus that this thread and the idea itself are hands down two of the greatest things ever.

FLUEVOG
15-01-2010, 14:54
Yeah, I think Flava was playing Empire and rerolling the Helstorm must have made it insanely good. I believe his only other artillery was a Mortar though, which would be pretty good too.

Agoz
18-01-2010, 06:55
Turning warhammer into some crude drinking game? You've successfully irritated me, so... good job I suppose. I hate the very concept of this idea. ;)

Anvilbrow
18-01-2010, 22:57
So did we all...

The next morning.

Vote Kantor
18-01-2010, 23:37
I heard of a different version, where each infantryman was a shotglass of beer, and tanks/warmachines were a can (heroes were shots of something heavy) things like that, and when they died you had to drink it.

BATTLE CANNON! <marine player passes out> (the downside being when (not if) my 25 man guard squad is sweeping advanced)

Seabo
19-01-2010, 00:50
Totally epic :D
Definitely the way to play Orc&Gobs too lol.
Someday I will get around to this...maybe when I get a basement ;)