PDA

View Full Version : Warmaster Skirmish Mod

Cpt. Drill
05-01-2010, 05:16
Hi guys, I have been absent from the world of warmaster for a little while with precious time on my hands. Me and some friends came up with this new system to allow us to get more games in. I think we are onto something and have found them really enjoyable. I put together this pdf to give to members of our local wargaming group to help get them into warmaster.

Any C&C is welcome.

Hope you enjoy

azraelezekiel
05-01-2010, 10:31
These look great.
They may get a few more interested in the game.
You never know it may even start off a revival ;)

Cpt. Drill
05-01-2010, 16:35
It has definatly started some interest with some none warmaster playing friends of mine. I think it is the appeal of just needing a few blisterpacks to play a game that does it. I think most armies could put together a 1500pts force for about 40-50.

Anything to get a few more gamers interested is a good thing, no matter how unrefined.

I re uploaded the file due to a typo concerning the cost of single stand warmachine units.

TheNurglitch
05-01-2010, 19:13
Although people in my gaming group are sceptical about this idea, I hope it will interest some gamers into warmaster.

Lemonbrick
08-01-2010, 12:52
we had another test game yesterday, here are a few thoughts / addtions.

firstly the 'break their sprit' objective doesn't really work for warmaster, as all units have a 'fixed cost' hence we came up with a 'Bodyguard unit' the designated unit was the same in all repects , except that if the general joined the unit it got 2 extra attacks. Destruction of this unit counted as an obejective.

- we had a lot of fun with this, and heroicly my black orcs accompanyied by the general drove off the dwarf kings bodyguard from a key objective in the closing stages of the game.
before being burnt to a crisp by the flame cannon!

Secondly - loss of the General
We felt that this should not be an auto lose in this objective based system as in old battles the general could be killed and the battle won as the objective was held.

Hence - the general killed counts as a objective.

Quite difficult to do as the general has to get in to combat but never the less I feel a nesicary.

Killing the general will result in a hero level char being nominated as the new commander.

Lemonbrick
08-01-2010, 12:59
Thirdly - objectives
a unit must be within 5cm of a objective for it to be captured or contested.

1 unit can be 'garrisoned' in an objective and be defended as per the warmaster book.

- on this note we did not think of unit like flyers (as nither of us had any) personally I dont feel flyers or monsters should be able to hold obkectives only contest them.

Finally - general thoughts
units are much more fragile when playing this version, most units its 3 hits and your out!
its quick and fun, especially the break point is no longer a factor, hence if a unit is scarficed its no longer so much of an issue , it encourages aggestive play to fight over the objectives.

Objectives also really made the terrain a biggy - we were playing on a wooded board and both sides used the woods to good effect in defending and assulting objectives.

Cpt. Drill
08-01-2010, 17:30
Maybe, only 'Infantry' should be able to capture objectives. I cant imagine a unit of cavelry all riding into a building to defend it.

Possibly they could hold an objective but not get the 'defended' bonus?

The body gaurd idea works really well. It also provides another great modelling oppertunity to make a really badass looking elite unit.

Possibly along with giving the general a bonus to when he fights in the unit, they also get +1 hit. THis could be there to represent their stubborn nature defending their leader. It would make the objective marginally harder to complete, in turn it will make the unit a little more likely to charge into combat if needs be instead of fleeing around the board.

We will need to try out flyers with objectives. Although the have unbeatable speed and maneuverability they are generally weak units that would not be great at defending an objective against any real combat units.

Lemonbrick
11-01-2010, 12:10
I agree we can try with only infantry only capturing objectives, it is realistic in my mind

I still feel that flyers should not be able to capture or contest objectives

I have started work on 3 objective markers, and have plans for at least 1 more

we can arrange a game next week , I will bring the high elves as well as they are 100% painted and it would be good to test another army

Cpt. Drill
11-01-2010, 13:30
I would like to see if the High elf dragon would make its 900pts back in a game. They are powerful units but can they justify that cost!?

How have you decided to make your objectives? On bases or on pieces of card or wood? I will sort out some new lizardmen objectives for the next round.

Lemonbrick
12-01-2010, 08:00
I have modelled them on 60mm round bases (I think they are 60mms)

I also have the old plastic lizzardman bits to

sadly I dont have a dragon to test the 900 points , however as with wizzzzzards and warmachines more testing would not go amiss.

Nuada
12-01-2010, 20:07
Skirmish rules look good, i've printed them out. I'll give them a go some time. I'm building up some objectives for warmaster, i've also just painted/flocked/water effect a 10mm scale river. :)

By the way, that giant on page 2. Is he a games workshop warmaster giant?

Cpt. Drill
13-01-2010, 00:28
THe giant is an old warhammer Ogre, he stand little taller than a man now. I really like him, his name is Sergei the Giant.

Hope you enjoy the rules. There will be an updated version coming out some time soon hopefully. Maybe a month away.

Lemonbrick
13-01-2010, 22:02
I have thought about the 900 points dragon.

yes it could be worth it , because,
it can fly
shoot
gets 8 attacks on the open charge
causes terror.

however, you would have to make the dog work for its pay.

Cpt. Drill
14-01-2010, 14:48
Well it is a killing machine in normal warmaster and as a Flying monster its incredibly resiliant. Usually it will fight one round of combat then if it has to retreat it wont be persued.

I will try and get a stegadon built and then we can have a true clash of the titans. As the stegadon only weighs in at 750pts I am hoping my extra stands of skinks will turn the tide of combat.

Daxio
17-02-2010, 11:55
Thanks for the ideas Cpt I like them very much, will try to use them using the ancient rules. What size playing area have you fellas been playing on?

Cpt. Drill
18-02-2010, 18:37
We tend to play on 6'x4' with double the amount of terrain. I think this game works nicely on 4'x4' as your battle lines are much shorter due to the tiny units.

I have been saying this to quite a few people but there will be an updated version coming out soon. We have made quite alot of changes from the original now, just hold onto your hats!

Daxio
05-03-2010, 10:15
Will look forward to that, have tried a couple of games and all has been fine. I especially like the way it looks, very small warhammer!

Nuada
11-05-2010, 13:31
Apologies..... already asked the same question :D ignore me, nothing to see :D

Botjer
03-11-2010, 10:38
well, was there a new version?

Cpt. Drill
04-11-2010, 01:14
No.

To put it quickly version 1.5 was in the works and was about 75% done and then we started playing epic... then started playing Blood Bowl again and then I started writing this post. If there is interest then I will finish it off, but as it stands Warmaster Skirmish 1.0 works nicely enough for cheap warmaster.

Amnar
04-11-2010, 04:43
File is damaged or something, is there an updated version?

Botjer
07-11-2010, 10:21
YES! we are interested :D
people just have a hard time expressing it :)

harthag12
18-11-2010, 19:30
Definatly interested as well

Cpt. Drill
21-11-2010, 12:39
Okay I will knuckle down and get one up. Its about half written just needs to be formatted nicely and have some extra stuff added on.

Ancre
21-11-2010, 14:08
Yaaay ! Great news !

Botjer
23-11-2010, 10:45
Nice! :D cant wait

Cpt. Drill
23-11-2010, 22:06
Hmmm okay It is close to being finished and I could probably put up a plain text version of the basics for consumption but I was looking to make a nicer release. For this I would like to get some pictures in of work other than my own.

Just testing the water to see if anyone would like to contribute some for the project?

Ancre
25-11-2010, 17:30
Ooooh this is great news ! I'd really like to help, but I don't have any warmaster minis yet ! (I know ... I should have some already ! But I have too little money, too many projects, and not enough attention ! Oh no ! I actually bought warmaster miniatures, but I doubt Ill have the time to paint them before you finish your project :) .)

Botjer
26-11-2010, 10:00
im sorry i dont have any pics, still new

Geep
28-11-2010, 13:04
Cpt. Drill- what kind of things do you want pictures of? Any particular set-ups or just generic army/ battle shots?

azraelezekiel
29-11-2010, 17:17
drop me a pm with what pics you need.

Cpt. Drill
03-12-2010, 18:19
Ack my hard drive burst a few days ago and I had very little wargaming stuff backed up so the Skirmish mod is on hold short term. Pretty flakey eh?

As for pictures I was after some army shots using the previous skirmish rules for making armies (eg. one stand per unit) so I could show the how many models you would need for armies. Also I want them shot on a white background then I can clean them up a bit and just drop them into the document.

StefDa
04-12-2010, 09:55
How is 500 for an army size? Because I might be able to finish 500 today or tomorrow.

StefDa
07-12-2010, 08:58
What about the Dragon mount for characters, what do they cost?

Since it is an upgrade and technically doesn't occupy a stand as such, I suppose it 'only' cost +100 points and 'only' has three attacks (as opposed to the Bone Giant which has a whopping six attacks), but it is still quite a large gribbly.

Ancre
07-12-2010, 21:35
How are thing going Cpt.Drill ? The entire warmaster community is waiting in expectation ! The world is upon your shoulders ! We want to know :D

Also I just received my warmaster stuff, and I finish school early on Thursday and Friday so hopefully I will have time to paint something.

StefDa
08-12-2010, 07:54
Ancre, what did you get? A good tip would be to get a pack of blu-tac and some kind og lightweight, flat, long, narrow piece of wood or plastic to mount the strips of infantry on in one long row - this would make painting easier :- )

Cpt. Drill
08-12-2010, 13:31
How are thing going Cpt.Drill ? The entire warmaster community is waiting in expectation ! The world is upon your shoulders ! We want to know :D

Oh God!

After losing my most of my rewrite in my computer explosion I havent had time to start again. I am also trying to get a few more games in over the next week or so as I would like to try and include some more scenarios or objectives. At the moment I am just working from all the notes and random ideas we have played (alot of them being one offs).

The next version will come out, just bare with me for now.

StefDa
08-12-2010, 14:09
What about the Dragon mount for characters, what do they cost?

Since it is an upgrade and technically doesn't occupy a stand as such, I suppose it 'only' cost +100 points and 'only' has three attacks (as opposed to the Bone Giant which has a whopping six attacks), but it is still quite a large gribbly.

What say you?

Ancre
08-12-2010, 21:49
@ Cpt.Drill : Cheers ! Good luck on rebuilding the pdf ! It sound like it's going to be really great !

Ancre, what did you get? A good tip would be to get a pack of blu-tac and some kind og lightweight, flat, long, narrow piece of wood or plastic to mount the strips of infantry on in one long row - this would make painting easier :- )

I bought them second hand from Aulbath (nice guy, he was really patient ! ) and I have around 3.000 points of chaotic fellas and 2.000 points of high elven folks. Soe of them painted and all, but I am going to repaint everything. Well, here's the list, coming from the depths of my private messages !

CHAOS:
_painted_
3 units of Chaos Marauders (3 strips each)
2 units of Chaos Warriors (3 strips each)
1 unit of Dragon Ogres (3 strips)
3 units of Chaos Hounds (3 strips each)
3 units of Chaos Knights (3 strips each)
2 units of Harpies (3 strips each)
1 unit of Chaos Horsemen (3 strips)
2 strips of Chaos Spawn
4 command units (3x generals, 1x mage)
1 Chaos Dragon

_unpainted_
A bunch of Hero/Command characters for making additional command units
Some demon bits (that Balrog like thing, and the demon popping from the ground)

ELVES:
_painted_
3 units of Elven Spearmen (3 Strips each)
3 units of Elven Archers (3 Strips each)

_unpainted and/or partly primed_
A bunch of Hero/Command characters for making command units
3 units of Elven cavalry (I think they are Silverhelms) (3 strips each)
3 elven chariots
2 elven Boltthrowers
all coming with their strip-bases