PDA

View Full Version : Character vs Model

kaubin
05-01-2010, 17:25
I noticed the wording on some magic items use "model" instead of "character", and i'm wondering if they used the wording to cut from the monotony of always using the same word, or if it was considering any mounts the character might have.

For example, if you put down a Lord on Dragon, do the Lord and Dragon count as a single "model"? If so then the dragon would recieve all of the same bonuses as the rider from the magic items, right? Using character on the other hand, it is obvious that the bonus does not transfer onto the mount, as the mount is not a character, it's a mount.

Milgram
05-01-2010, 17:33
usually it means 'character', which is still confusing when a champion uses the item. :)

most items that include the mount explicitly note that.

Ultimate Life Form
05-01-2010, 17:36
GW write their books with a program that has a built-in randomizer that fills in random words of similar meaning (or any other meaning or no meaning at all, like in the German books). They had however no money left for a spellchecker.

GW + semantics = FAIL!

Pay. It. No. HEED!

Condottiere
05-01-2010, 17:47
Until it's time for the rules lawyers to parse it with a fine tooth comb.

Witchblade
06-01-2010, 21:40
usually it means 'character', which is still confusing when a champion uses the item. :)

most items that include the mount explicitly note that.
Yes ; also see the FAQ on the matter.

enyoss
07-01-2010, 00:42
Mostly I think it's what airy fairy types (;)) would call elegant variation, that is substituting similar meaning words to avoid repetition as you said.

In the field I work in though it's known as gratuitous variation, that is substituting for the heck of it, when repetition would actually be far more effective at hammering the point home.

Condottiere
07-01-2010, 01:42
A lot of rule books have it both ways, they wax lyrical in the descriptive section, then on the side of the page in an enclosed box, give a technical description of the rule.

Shadow Rider
07-01-2010, 11:42
I would have thought where it said Character it would have just affected the character and yet where it said Model it would have affected the mount as well if he had one...

Seems fairly straight forward

WLBjork
08-01-2010, 08:03
No, this is quite clear in the first rulebook Q&A.

Mounts only benefit if specified in the item description.