PDA

View Full Version : Would You Object to this proxy/conversion?

Arjuna
06-01-2010, 00:30
I have several old school rhinos on sprue collecting dust and I am thinking about converting them into various IG vehicles for my chaos renegade army.

2 or 3 Hydra (high priority)

1 manticore (probably)

chimeras (maybe)

An old school rhino is about 3/4 inch shorter and 1 and 1/4 inch narrower than a rhino. I suppose this makes them a bit more manueverable and deployable but I could make them fatter.

I live in the US so I wont really have any problem with GW employees, money is tight and I have at least 4 or 5 old unused rhinos. So what do you think? Is it an abuse of the spirit of the game. Would you object if your opponent had some rhinos converted to guard vehicles?

Helicon_One
06-01-2010, 00:34
A rhino chassis with a hydra autocannon battery mounted? Hell yes I'd like to see that!

Mort
06-01-2010, 00:44
i dont think its abusive to use older models, or to convert older models into something different.

Go for it!!! (and post some pictures afterwards ;) )

Bouncl
06-01-2010, 00:46
A rhino chassis with a hydra autocannon battery mounted? Hell yes I'd like to see that!

This. I'd have no problem.

Pooky
06-01-2010, 00:51
I would have no problem with it. Just make sure it's WYSIWYG and let me know what it is at the start of the game.

Good hunting with the converstion work.

Chem-Dog
06-01-2010, 01:22
Oldschool Rhinos still on their sprues? I'd consider flogging them instead :)

MadHatter
06-01-2010, 01:24
i seconded Pookys commit. I love conversions. And for the record so do most games workshop employees.

Hero adamite
06-01-2010, 01:30
Oldschool Rhinos still on their sprues? I'd consider flogging them instead :)

Oldschool rhino's might be worth quite a bit, you could try selling 1 or 2 and convert the rest :p

Make sure you post pictures after your done, i would like to see how they turn out.

Good luck.

Messiahnide
06-01-2010, 01:32
Go for it, cool conversions are what keeps this hobby fresh. And post pics of course. :D

TheBigBadWolf
06-01-2010, 01:54
I wouldnt have a problem and would like to see some pics when you are done, I do like the old Rhino models though, so much more characterful.

rabblerouser
06-01-2010, 02:01
Sell the sprues on ebay and buy the proper tanks. Some people still want those old rhinos... not sure why.

Arjuna
06-01-2010, 02:14
Thanks for the positive encouragement. Here is some of my conversion work for the army in a thread that has languished due to real life being rather unpleasant the last several months.

Once I get going again I will resurrect this log (bad pun there sorry). You will understand if you check it. I have made some decent progress on the tanks and rebased about 150 infantry so I am getting along with some progress.

Old school traitor guard
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216506

Soon to be reinforced with forgeworld traitors and desecrated dkok. Well maybe not soon but eventually for sure as I have ordered some stuff.

LonelyPath
06-01-2010, 02:26
I often use old rhinos as I have a whole bunch of them, so there's nothing wrong with using them (also, they are GW models and so should be legal anyway).

Clang
06-01-2010, 04:37
With a bit of extra armour and stowage, you can easily bring the dimensions up to match a chimera. I think it's worth doing so, you'll avoid grizzles from rules lawyers and other paranoid opponents.

And to keep the fluff nazis happy too, think up a bit of fluff re old rhinos having been repaired and retrofitted as support vehicles for the IG - similar things happened for real in WW2.

Arvendragon
06-01-2010, 05:18
But seriously, can you PLEAAAAASE take a few pics of the old rhino for us noobs to see?

Remoah
06-01-2010, 05:26
I would say dont convert them, some people will still buy old ed rhinos probably for the same price as a new addition one. Perhaps go onto the Buy/Sell/Swap forums and see if anyone is up for trading a Chimera or Current Edition Rhino for the old ed ones you have...

But then if you WANT to use the old ed rhinos, i'd say go for it, theyre an excellent kit and would look great. Anyone who has an issue with you using them because of thier smaller size is too much of a rules lawyer and is not worth your hassle playing them...

Filthy O'Bedlam
06-01-2010, 05:53
Go for it. I'd play against you no problem. I've converted Chimeras into both an immolator and an Exorcist, I think You'll be good to go.

Cheers, Filthy

Eldoriath
06-01-2010, 06:42
For all conversion purposes except the chimera I would see it fit okay. For the chimera though I'd like to see some heavy converting so that it's apparent it's not a rhino, but a chimera.

I've made my chimeras customizable to be able to use as:
- Chimera
- Banewolf (and could convert up the other varients if I wanted)
- Colossus
- Griffon
- Deathstrike
- Manticore

It's all a matter of changing some bits and it look good enough =)
(check my sig if you like)

ehlijen
06-01-2010, 08:00
I don't think they'd mak good chimaera based fighting vehicles. At least not without effort. Arty or support vehicles like the hydra are probably easier to do, as their hull weapons aren't really important, so fewer people will care.

But existing scale problems notwithstanding, people may well argue that an old rhino chassis can't handle a turret, hull weapon and 12 passengers.

dangermouse425
06-01-2010, 08:50
Oh thank goodness, I was worried this was another "would you object to my nazi-themed Dark Elves using the Space Wolf codex" thread!

I have 3 new style Rhinos that I use as 2 Chimeras and Hydra for my Guard army. I've not received any complaints from GW staff or any opponents.

I've got a Manticore WIP using the old style Rhino chassis.

The only IG vehicles I use are my 3 Leman Russ tanks, which have had a hull conversion anyway and an old Chimera chassis for my Deathstrike. :)

If you want fluff, you can just say they're elite recce IG, attached to a Space Marine company, so are available to nab some gucci vehicles off their SM comrades!

Havock
06-01-2010, 12:34
I don't think they'd mak good chimaera based fighting vehicles. At least not without effort. Arty or support vehicles like the hydra are probably easier to do, as their hull weapons aren't really important, so fewer people will care.

But existing scale problems notwithstanding, people may well argue that an old rhino chassis can't handle a turret, hull weapon and 12 passengers.

I don't think any GW transport can handle 10+ models :')

tyrannosaurus
06-01-2010, 23:14
I prefer the oldschool rhinos, would be great to see them converted.

Archangel_Ruined
07-01-2010, 00:44
Surely nobody prefers the old rhino? They're the most basic, bland, badly designed kits I can think of. I understand people who prefer the shape, but the new kit is so much nicer in every other way.

Anyway... I wouldn't have a problem with those conversions. I'll play against pretty much anything if you've put the time and effort into converting and painting it.

Dangersaurus
07-01-2010, 03:32
Surely nobody prefers the old rhino? They're the most basic, bland, badly designed kits I can think of. I understand people who prefer the shape, but the new kit is so much nicer in every other way.

Two words: Round Doors. Also, I'd hardly call it bland, and I definitely wouldn't call it badly designed - the kit is pretty clever for using two identical sprues to make one tank.

TPSOhuzzar
07-01-2010, 04:12
i dont think its abusive to use older models, or to convert older models into something different.

Go for it!!! (and post some pictures afterwards ;) )

indeed
as he said