PDA

View Full Version : DE Witch Elf Army - Thoughts?

Ishivia
06-01-2010, 08:28
Hey there!

I'm planning on starting a Witch Elf themed DE army, trying to make it as friendly as possible without being outright bad (aka. avoiding the known "I-WIN-units / items)

Here's the composition I'm considering (roughly)

Crone Hellebron

Death Hag with Cauldron

Death Hag with BSB and the Banner of Nagarythe (the +1 CR within 12'' and unit unbreakable one)

L2 Sorceress with Tome of Furion

15 Witch Elves with full command

Maybe (tho a bit out of place with the theme) a unit of 5 CO Knights, converted to be female to fit in somewhat

4x Reaper Bolt Throwers

~2250 points (Give or take, can't remember the exact points value atm)

So, my question for you guys is this: What do you think of this army? Is it somewhat friendly? Would it even stand a chance? :)

Any feedback or constructive critisism is welcomed :)

~Ishivia

meowser
06-01-2010, 08:35
A way to split to punch and mobility of the out-of-place COK, while gaining fluff points, is to take executioners and shades, respectively.
Drop 1-2 RBT for the pts; 4 is not friendly.

Ishivia
06-01-2010, 08:51
Hmm yeah, I'm not that happy with the models for the Executioners, tho I might convert the shades :P

The reason for the 4 bolt throwers were to have some anti-armour, but I can see your point in 4 being a little over the top :P

Tambarskjelve
06-01-2010, 09:45
why 15 WE? Surely 7*2 would be the optimal build?

I would consider just getting some small units with 5-7 WE, no command. They cost very little, and can do a lot against light armoured troops. At least they can protect the COB.

Ishivia
06-01-2010, 10:14
I've found 15 to be a good mix between damage dealing and static combat resolution, I might try the 7x2 formation you mentioned tho :P

As for command groups, they stay :P The main purpose of the army is fluff / looks, and I think that command groups acts as the little 'touch' that makes a unit complete :)

elvinltl
16-01-2010, 10:27
Do you want to play cheese?

Since you have Crone Hellebron, Witch Elves can be your Core Choice. Field them in small units of 5 as core.
1) There is no limit to the number of core troops.
2) The minimum number of WE per regiment is 5.

9 Core units of Witch Elves. Sure they are fragile.

Field another 4 more units of 5 Harpies.

Throw in COB and Hydra.

Ishivia
16-01-2010, 14:36
My purpose with the army was to field a WE themed army, that's friendly :P

LouiseDePointe
17-01-2010, 00:08
I would think that hydras would be more witch elfey than rbts. That plus some executioners would round out your list quite nicely. You might even want a converted female assassin. Cool idea though: I heartily approve.

Seabo
17-01-2010, 00:27
The idea of a Witchy/Khainite army has always appealed to me. I like the Executioner Samurai style way more then the Black Guard.
RBTs are meh...an all-out-in-yo-face army with all melee would be surprising to your opponent to say the least lol.

Ishivia
17-01-2010, 00:46
I've revised my list a little (and not near complete yet :P)

Some changes: Adding a Hydra in place of 2 RBTs, adding some units of executioners (Can't decide wether to take 2 units of 5 for flanking only, or one larger unit) and probably an assassin or two - Even tho it's strictly against the fluff, it will be converted to female to fit in with the army :P (I was thinking of using the Collector's Dreadlord with AHW as base - http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300239&prodId=prod1690054)

Urgat
17-01-2010, 01:53
Isn't the sorceress out of place too, fluff-wise? Granted, with no magic defense at all, it would get nasty very fast I suppose.

Btw, considering both the army you want to play and your avatar, I think you have an unhealthy obsession with psychotic females :p

Ishivia
17-01-2010, 15:22
Btw, considering both the army you want to play and your avatar, I think you have an unhealthy obsession with psychotic females :p

Hmm maybe so xP

About the sorc - It is a bit out of place, granted - But I'd like to have atleast some magical defense and a magic phase, and being female it shouldn't look that out of place model-wise, I hope :P

Drakcore Bloodtear
17-01-2010, 17:38
A friend of mine ran a list like that (Just a little fluffier) against the new Skaven

And he got massacred and the Skaven wasn't even magic heavy, so don't be surprised if you lose a couple of games

Ishivia
17-01-2010, 18:03
Well, I don't really mind if I win or loose the games with this army (obviously as long as it's a fun game), since this will be purely for fun - For tourneys and stuff I will most likely field my Skaven army instead :)

ChaosVC
18-01-2010, 07:31
You may want to take some harpies? More boobs with wings to add to the numerous boobs already on the table? 2 Hydra instead of bolt throwers, convert some witch elves to beastmasters with whips. Chariots instead of cold one knights, more boobs with whips on chariots. Some shades or executioners converted from witch elves would look nice but making a pure melee army would be more in theme with the fluff though.

I don't have the book with me right now so I am not sure how you are going to balance the points between units and chars, but I suggest you take at least one scroll cabby and a ring of "you know" so that your army is at least not a one trick pony that last longer than 2 turns against magic heavy armies. The BSB is not neccessary

Drakcore Bloodtear
18-01-2010, 16:45
Well, I don't really mind if I win or loose the games with this army (obviously as long as it's a fun game), since this will be purely for fun :)

You see this is what the game should be like

Damn competetive list's, go for the fun :yes:

(But maybe one assassin?)

Chain
18-01-2010, 20:15
I tnink you might get into some trouble with Woodys using this list

easy to get ward saves, many itp units and lots of archers

add in forest getting moved infront of your bolt throwers and your WE yould be very hard pressed

then again every army got it's weak points

shredshredxx
18-01-2010, 21:07
a temple of khaine themed dark elf army is the next army i've been planning on doing, once i can afford it, so i've been running into a lot of the same problems as you.

while it's true a sorceress isn't fluffy at all in a temple of khaine list, there's good news. you don't need one!! just find a place for the ring of hotek, and perhaps the seal of ghrond, and that'll more than likely be all the magic defense you need.

i totally agree with the poster who mentioned executioners as a solid replacement for cold one knights. especially if you give that death hag bsb the banner of hag graef and throw her in there. ASF s6 executioners are a frightening thing to behold, and they're even perfectly in theme with a khainite list.

i wouldn't use any hydras. while they are a sure way to make a list competitive(to say the least) they're not khainite in the slightest. they're a staple of hag graef and the beast masters all the way. drop it and stick with the rbts, you'll need them!

have you perchance read the malus darkblade books? they give some great ideas for khainite lists, especially the fourth book, which i believe is called warpsword. the main characters brother is what's called a "high priest of khaine." he wears armour, carries a huge axe and later a magic sword, and slaughters his way through enemies, occasionally using some khainite magic here and there. this character made me feel a great deal better about using a dreadlord and masters in my khaine list, they're just counts-as priests of khaine! still keep very much with the khainite theme. or perhaps you could just have them be veteran executioners?

anyway, the reason i'm telling you this is because they're your only hope of getting some much needed magic defense and/or staying power. i can't stress enough how much the ring of hotek will help you against magic-heavy armies.

also, have you considered throwing in an assassin? or maybe two? they pack quite a punch, they're fun, and they're very khaine-ish.