PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays in the Imperium

InquisitorNiels
07-01-2010, 05:05
Well today is my birthday and it got me thinking, do all planets in the Imperium use an earth based calender? It would seem that each planet should use an Terran calender because that is how the leadership of the Imperium would measure time. This means that planets that orbit faster and slower then Terra would have more/less then one Terran day with their planetary day. Now that just seems odd because I can't imagine one day being one and a half cycles of our sun (just an example). It would mess me up. At the same time there must be some standard set time keeping.

My guess is that the most people know how many Terran years old they are, but when talking about one day, one month, etc. etc they would be talking about their planetary cycles*. Government agencies would use the Terran time tables so that everybody was on the same page when it comes to dealing with other planets.

Also, depending on what type of planet a person lives on might play into what system they use. For example a person living in a hive city might never see the sun so they just use the Terran system of time (24 hours/day etc.) while an Argi-World would need to know how long their planet's cycles are a lot more in order to grow crops. At the same time they might have a Terran calender set up at the capital/space port for when they need to deal with other planets. I would also think that all planets that use their own solar cycles to mark days, weeks, months, and years would have a simple conversion chart to quickly determine how many Terran days are equal to their own. An example being 1 day=2 Terran days. That way when they are told they need to have their shipment of corn ready in 10 days the leadership can just tell the farmers that they have 5 days to get it all ready.

So what do you all think about all this?

*I don't know the proper term, so planetary cycles is how long their planets days, weeks, months, and years are.

spacewolf_sven
07-01-2010, 05:12
I know there's that bit in the rulebook about about imperial dates but would agree that Terran years would not be commonly used.
On agriworlds, nature (crops etc) will dictate the time increments, on fuedal and feral worlds it will be traditional-mostly sunbased (like ours but according to local conditions) but I think that on heavily industrialised worlds everything will be in easy periods to administrate (eg 100, 1000 days) and shifts and stuff like that will rule in place of hours and days. When its all artificial it will be planned for maximum efficiency (supposedly humans actually fall into a natural 26 hour day left to their own devices -some scifi book somewhere).

So those are my thoughts

mightymconeshot
07-01-2010, 05:12
this is complicated because of warp time. it plays a part in the last chancers novels when he trys to determine his age but he cant due to warp time.

i think all planets use their own system and then use a imperial timeline for official business but i am not sure as it is late and i cant remeber.

Pooky
07-01-2010, 05:39
I think there is no room in the 41M for something as trivial as celebrating birthdays! :D

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-01-2010, 07:21
It seems like there is a standard imperial system for keeping track of time, but it's probably only used for administrative purposes and I imagine that every single planet will have it's own local system for dates and even time of day.

Lord Zarkov
07-01-2010, 08:35
There's a standard imperial system based off earth-time which includes an accuaracy reference and apparently that's used everywhere for year dates and which breaks up each year into 1000 segments for Administratum use, but it is implied that it is not used generally. In the Novels people seem to use whatever day is local to the planet they are on, although there seems to be some standardised day/week/month for use in space. Whether this is Terran standard or based off the optimum 26hr day I don't know though.

Obyri
07-01-2010, 08:38
If i remember my eisenhorn then i seem to remember that he measures things both with the local planets time-scale but also when concerning the imperium as a whole (ie how many months it took him to get from planet A to B) he uses "sidereal" time. I'm not a hundred percent sure on how that works but its is apparently measuring time by your relation to the local "background stars" rather than the actual sun or suns at the centre of your system.

Using that method may create a more standard "imperial calender" however that would exclude everything being based on the Terran calendar as that is measured using sol not any background stars.

In truth we'll never know but i'm sure it is terribly convoluted and mind numbingly dull. My only supposition would be that planets operate with their own calender based on their "sun" while a more unified calender in regards to travel between planets and any operations outside of a world will operate on a sidereal time-scale and possibly the "terran" calender signifies holy and feast days which the local ecclesiarch calculate into the local calnder.

Heh, play your cards right with some clever maths and you could be legally getting served at your neighbouring systems best nightclub at a very tender age.

Lord Zarkov
07-01-2010, 09:11
Year wise anything that concerns more than one planet would use the Imperial Dating System which is based of the Terran Year and kept in sync via astopathic contact. A check number at the beginning telly you how accurate this date is.

The date consists of the one digit check number, the three digit year fraction (used for administration purposes only), a three digit year number, and then the millenium number.

So today's date would be 0019010.M3.
Which is 'Earth Date' 'Year Fraction 19' 'Year 10' '3rd Millenium'

The Check number ranges from 0-9, with 0/1 being and Earth/Sol system date; 2 being in direct conatct with earth; 3 being in indirect contact with earth; 4/5 is being in contact with a class 3/4 source; 6/7/8 being something previously in contact with a 1-5 source but with a gap of <1year/1-10years/>10years to the present time; and 9 being a guess or an approximation based on a non-Imperial dating system.

For general usage the check number and year fraction can be left off, giving just the year date. E.g. 010/M3. is 2010.

NightrawenII
07-01-2010, 09:28
The planets use their own calendar, date, time-count etc. Lord Zarkov is right with the official dating system.

Mort
07-01-2010, 15:17
Well today is my birthday

happy birthday!

i suppose most imperial citizens wont bother about "imperial" time but just use the system of their homeplanet without ever wasting a thought about their age in terran standars years.

Lord Cook
07-01-2010, 17:19
In the novels the term "sidereal time" is generally used to refer to standardized Imperial time. Otherwise characters will just refer to the local planetary time scale.

Pvt. Ratt
07-01-2010, 21:27
Well I believe the Inquisition would find out that you were actually happy to be alive and another flamer induced barbecue would commence.

Aiwass
07-01-2010, 21:41
Well I believe the Inquisition would find out that you were actually happy to be alive and another flamer induced barbecue would commence.

lol'd

Well, I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but, I'm sure that I read how to calculate the Imperial dating system in a White Dwarf, but I can't find it! (99% my ex-girlfiend send a LOT of my stuff to the garbage, 1% I lost it).

Can someone be gentle and explain it for me, please? :)

Lord Cook
08-01-2010, 02:06
Can someone be gentle and explain it for me, please? :)

Lord Zarkov explained it five posts above yours. ;)

InquisitorNiels
08-01-2010, 04:07
What about people who travel a lot, do they just use Imperial time? I can just see some really old man from one planet telling some young kid from another planet "Sonny I'm 27 years old you better respect me!" and the kid is just like..."27...27?!? I'm 19 you can't be 27!" So for that I would think that most Imperial citizens would know how old they are in "Imperial Years".

Xandros
08-01-2010, 04:36
Knowing the Imperium they probably celebrate deathdays.

"Jack joined the Emperor on day 55 of 992M41"

Lord Zarkov
08-01-2010, 10:07
What about people who travel a lot, do they just use Imperial time? I can just see some really old man from one planet telling some young kid from another planet "Sonny I'm 27 years old you better respect me!" and the kid is just like..."27...27?!? I'm 19 you can't be 27!" So for that I would think that most Imperial citizens would know how old they are in "Imperial Years".

I expect so. The Guard, Inquisition, Administratum, planetary Governance, etc all use Imperial years, thus I wouldn't be suprised if at least all worlds of "Civilised" status and above use the Imperial Year as standard, if only to reduce confusion (after all even intrasystem communication would be difficult otherwise as every planet wold have a different year). After all for someone above our Tech level now it's not a huge problem if the Year is out of sync with the Seasons as long as every one knows when they are.

Iuris
08-01-2010, 20:59
Local conditions will mean local time keeping habits. A hive might not have any windows but lots of machines, and will use a system of 10 hour work shifts/sleep periods, or the local day might be 3 months long, leading to system where days are used like we use seasons and so on and on.

But if anyone wants to talk time with anyone off world, or make an official report, the standard time will be used.

baphomael
08-01-2010, 22:32

Or even the kid saying "27? I'm 92, young'in!"

But anyways, for conveniance sake and practicality, I'd assume that for official documentation, birth records, stuff like that, then Terran Standard would be used (with, perhaps, local time and date added alongside for reference). For mundane planetside stuff (shift patterns, sleep patterns, local time and date etc) then it'd probably vary depending on the world's sidereal patterns. Even then, in 'local' official documentation (the stuff that doesnt necessarily pertain to the wider Imperium but has local importance) they might still put the local date and Terran Standard date on the same documentation as a form of reference - given the socio-political, cultural and religious importance of Terra.

Witherspoon
09-01-2010, 02:07
I'm wondering, when is Ollanius Pious' birthday?

LaBambaMan
09-01-2010, 02:39

Best thing to ever come out of 40k is Pious.

Witherspoon
09-01-2010, 02:53
Best thing to ever come out of 40k is Pious.

I agree, retconning that piece of fluff was a terrible idea.

LaBambaMan
09-01-2010, 03:01
I agree, retconning that piece of fluff was a terrible idea.

I know! I didn't mind so much when they retconned the Squats(seeing hwo they sucked at life), but reconning something as awesome as the sheer balls of steel of a single Gaurdsman to stand up to my lord and master Horus? HERESY! And I play Chaos!

dwarfdwarf
09-01-2010, 03:04

isnt that the guardsman that bought the emperor some time during the whole horus thingy?

LaBambaMan
09-01-2010, 03:08
isnt that the guardsman that bought the emperor some time during the whole horus thingy?

Indeed he is. He was the manliest guy to ever live, but nooooooooooooooooooo. GW had to go and retcon something as awesome as him and replace it with Sanginius, the bitch.

Hushrong
09-01-2010, 03:12
first off, happy birthday.

and i'd have to say there could be a main time that everyone runs off of, an then there could be one for individual planets as others have said.

so their could be an imperial time scale that goes off of earths time. all fighting arms of the imperium could go off this for coordinating attacks and the like since you dont want them using their own homeworld clocks.

Witherspoon
09-01-2010, 03:13

More like showing the Emperor that Horus was beyond redemption.
**** was so cash.

Witherspoon
09-01-2010, 03:20
Oh! And so i stay on topic.
I doubt every world is using an earth calender.
It's most likely some standardized system.

Stouty
09-01-2010, 03:35

25th of December is his official Birthday, but it turns out that he was really born some time in April.

Witherspoon
09-01-2010, 03:43
25th of December is his official Birthday, but it turns out that he was really born some time in April.

D:
Screw Christmas!
Every 25th of December I'm celebrating Ollanius Pious.
Patron Saint of MAN.

schoon
10-01-2010, 01:48
Happy Birthday!

...and you can find all about the Imperial Calendar here (http://www.scholaprogenium.com/calendar.html), including how to translate dates.