PDA

View Full Version : horrible luck in a game!!!

cr8fulloh8full
07-01-2010, 12:48
Like anyone I'm sure there have been times where you knew that if you did this thing perfectly nothing could possibly go wrong! Even the best placed plans can be foiled by your dice or just a horrible coincidence

Example

I was playing against an empire player with a steamtank. I was using skaven, so of course I had a 65pt warlock engineer with the brass orb. The steam tank was close to my plague monks where my warlock engineer was hiding behind. Now, I just wanna point out that the steam tank was around 10 inches from my plague monks with my plague furnace so I thought to myself, there is no risk at all, it would be a 1 in a million chance of scattering directly that way 10 inches......

Everyone feel free to share horrible game experiences, its always great to hear horribly tradgic stories about WFB so we can all feel better about ourselves and know that the dice gods hate everyone at some points

To this day I haven't used that item, that character I used was 65pts of lose me the game :(

Razakel
07-01-2010, 13:11
Ouch, but that is kind of typical of Skaven, they have so many wacky gadgets, it can all go wrong in a hurry.

I once did something similar with a Grudge Thrower, guessed perfectly onto an enemy unit of Chaos Warriors, looked set to wipe out 3/4 of them. Scattered back onto my Ironbreakers and killed half the unit.

Not only that but I had a rune of accuracy, and it scattered back in the same direction even on the re-roll.

A friend of mine who plays Orcs & Goblins was playing a game against my Dwarfs once. He was poised to win the game with a perfectly set up frontal charge, flank charge and rear charge with multiple units, the overrun would've let him wipe out most of my army.

He then proceeded to roll a 1 on 3 separate Animosity tests. He simply decided to concede the game in my next turn when I wiped out most of his important units with a ridiculously lucky scatter from my Grudge Thrower's.

Zarryiosiad
07-01-2010, 14:09
Had one happen last weekend. I was running a Slann-led lizardman army against a DoC list with a Bloodthirster, and on the very first casting attempt of the game I miscast. On my first roll on the miscast table I rolled the dreaded double "1", but I took the ability to reroll miscasts. The second roll was a "3" and I proceeded to kill 11 of the 12 Temple Guards that were touching the palanquin.

The game went downhill from there.

Zarry

Unuhexium
07-01-2010, 14:48
Knights of Khorne charged a unit of Saurus warriors. My opponent ended up having to roll 6 saves on 5+... of which he passes 5. In return, my knights take 2 casualties, lose the combat by a wide margin and got run down.

I've also had a hellcannon blow up on turn two wiping out 1/3 of a unit of chaos warriors.

theunwantedbeing
07-01-2010, 15:11
I reveal there is an assasin in my unit of spearmen.
He has throwing stars, 3 shots, 2+ to hit...1 hit, 2+ to wound...no wounds.
I get charged.
Stand and shoot! 2+ to hit, 1 hit....aarrgghhh, 2+ to wound!...no wounds.
Well he goes first.
+D3 attacks yay I got 7 attacks. Well at least he doesnt seem quite so sucky at combat.
3+ to hit....and they all miss, I have hatred!....3 hits no poison.
3+ to wound! no wounds.
urgh.
He takes a wound, combat is lost and he gets run down.
Plus the unit panick's my other assasin and my mage...neither of which rally the following turn!

Hailariously bad assasin.

Drakcore Bloodtear
07-01-2010, 15:29
I was playing TK with my O&G and as normal things were going well then i decleared a WAAAgh!!! to get my general (on Wyvern) into combat with his liche priest, so things went well intill I rolled for the rest of the army out of the 7 unit's I had that took the test, 5 rolled 1 so D6 automatic wounds. So I thought I would cast WAAAGH!! instead, but no I got a miscasted then rolled double 1 meaning every one on my side takes D6 St3 hits

No need to say I lost that game

PeG
07-01-2010, 16:12
5 Khorne knights charged Glade guards, stand and shoot sees one knight die the rest fluff their attacks, glade guards hit back and kills 2 knights :wtf:

In a game vs skaven with bell, 2 furnaces etc my opponent wiped himself out in turn 3. Bell exploded and killed lots of rats and he continued with another couple of explosions before the turn was over. I think he had 2 units of slaves on the table when he was finished.

The Red Scourge
07-01-2010, 16:14
First I used the old SoC hellcannon, I guessed the distance perfectly, and was about to blow my opponents general and greatswords to kingdom come.

The bloody thing misfired, all mages took a wound - including my tzeentch lord and 3 tzeentch champions; 600 VP right there :'(

hlaine larkin
07-01-2010, 16:47
this one has to go on behalf of an opponent of mine at this years gt

he had a nice death star list of high elves anyways teclis was in the front.
the conversation went like this-

'ok, teclis is going to cast fireball at your temple guard on 2 dice.'
'ouch, unlucky miscast'
'yeah, but it's okay he ignores his first miscast, so he is going to cast firey blast on your temple guard'
'ouch, another double one- he has to take this one doesnt he?'
'yeah...'
'holy crap, what are the odds of that?! 3 double one's in a row! (i later figured 1:46,000 ish) he dies now doesnt he?'
'yeah'
'how many points is he?'
'475, and he is my army general.'

i went on to win that game by 560 points, but it was bad luck on his part

LKHERO
07-01-2010, 18:25
This happened in 40K:

I rolled 5 1s to hit with my Grey Hunters, used the Wolf Standard that allows me to re-roll all 1s, and I rolled 5 more 1s.

The odds of that is virtually impossible.

LKHERO
07-01-2010, 18:45
And of course rolling 2 miscasts with Teclis and rolling double 1s on the table and panicking off the table on double 6s. That's a great way to lose half your army on turn 1.

hlaine larkin
07-01-2010, 19:06
1 in 93,312
(chance of your grey wolves)

Bard Harlock
07-01-2010, 19:07
1 in 93,312

Or one in six for any die to roll any particular number at any time.

SimonL
07-01-2010, 20:36
Yes, but for 5 to simultaneously roll that particular number....and then do it again...

Mine all involve my Skaven destroying themselves, including a panicked, flaming warpfire thrower rolling maxmium distance when randomly fleeing, running into my generals unit, exploding and panicking said Generals unit off the table first turn...

GuyLeCheval
07-01-2010, 20:41
I had a game in which I never threw a higher number on the dice then 3. Only 1,2,3's. Although I didn't really break, I play Skaven, so got slaughtered in combat instead of overrunned. And virtually everything exploded. Bad game...

cr8fulloh8full
07-01-2010, 21:05
I gotta add another one

I had my vermin lord charge high elf archers and he took 2 would from stand and shoot so I figured no big deal. I hit with everything but rolled all 1's to would, he then did 2 more woulds so I lost combat I ran 4"..... the archers ran 12. I don't even understand

Bedsheets
07-01-2010, 21:20
I consider horrible luck just to be the norm while I play. I've had an entire unit of 18 plague bearers wiped out in 1 turn. Not 1 of them made any ward saves or the regen saves. With my O&G I can squabble like no other. I've had 4 units squable each turn for 3 turns in a row. I can roll a 1 like nobody's business.

Razakel
07-01-2010, 21:32
plague bearers

O&G

You see, theres your problem right there.

Both O&G and Skaven are by nature very erratic, unpredictable and random armies. You should play a solid reliable army like Dwarfs, Empire or Vampire Counts if you don't want to be haunted by bad luck.

hlaine larkin
07-01-2010, 21:33
bad luck made my time with orcs and goblins because they are devastating- just flip a coin to see who too :D

Bard Harlock
07-01-2010, 21:44
It didn't happen to me, but I was watching two friends play a Beastmen vs. Skaven battle. Things, as one might expect, were going well for the Skaven army. Throughout the game, Skaven mortars kept getting both armies. Then, on Turn 2, the Hell Pit Abomination broke and was run down. The game went on. On Turn 4 the Skaven commander finally rolls the four he needs for his miners to come onto the table and his marker is positioned perfectly. He rolls the artillery die, misfire! Well, all is not lost, he checks the table and rolls, Cave In! Yes, his big unit with killer character dies before it even hits the tabletop. Beasts of Chaos massacred the new Skaven

Bedsheets
07-01-2010, 21:57
You see, theres your problem right there.

Both O&G and Skaven are by nature very erratic, unpredictable and random armies. You should play a solid reliable army like Dwarfs, Empire or Vampire Counts if you don't want to be haunted by bad luck.

The Plaguebearers were with my Deamons of Chaos army. That was the fastest loss I have ever had. 2 turns and it was game over. Both my Great Unclean one and Plaguebearers were wiped leaving me with not much else to hit back with. The GU managed to fluff every attack and also miss every save.

hlaine larkin
07-01-2010, 21:59
that tends to be the thign with dermons, they either own or get owned-
i had a game against identical list at last years GT got smashed the first one by his psy bomb, second game by turn 3 the masque, the bsb, keeper of secrets (died in 1 magic phase from a fireball and fiery blast from my slaan because it couldnt pass saves + bane head) and blue scribes had died in flukey ways-

the masque charged a stegadon, failed to kill the priest and in the subsequent magic phase got zapped and took 5 wounds (already lost 1 from stegadon)
the bsb got dropped rocks -took 2 wounds passed no saves
the blue scribes were taken out in turn 2 by a forked lightning

it really is crazy how there luck goes- because in the previous game, my temple guard and slaan got run down by 3 seekers...

Razakel
07-01-2010, 22:00
Woops my bad, I read it as "plague censers". No idea why, I guess I was reading what I wanted to read.

Lordsaradain
07-01-2010, 22:31
Recently, my Khornate Warriors of Chaos armed with additional hand weapons and joined by an Exalted(also Khorne) with berzerker sword charged a unit of regular Saurus (no characters, no spears). Before saves, I managed to inflict 11 wounds, 8 S4 (so 4+ AS) and 3 S5 (5+ AS). My brother managed to pass 7/8 Armour saves on 4+ and 3/3 Armour saves on 5+, he inflicts a few wound in return, wins the combat and runs me down. I was shocked!

Fourtunatly, lady luck hadn't abndoned me, because my Khornate Chariot managed to single handedly kill 14 saurus over two rounds of combat before being destroyed by a scar vet. My Khornate Chosen received a charge from saurus cavalry and survived, then cut them down the following turn, so I still managed to win the game.

Malorian
07-01-2010, 22:34
Worst I had was a game where my dwarf warmachines couldn't help but misfire and blow up or roll a 1 to wound, but that's nothing too crazy.

Geep
08-01-2010, 10:37
I think the worst luck I've seen in Fantasy happened to my opponent in a game-
It was O&G (me) vs Dwarfs, and I had been pretty badly beaten- most of my army was dead or fleeing and a solid loss seemed obvious.
One unit of Orc warriors was in combat with two dwarf units, the dwarf battle standard and general. Somehow the orcs won combat, both dwarf units fled (despite at least one being stubborn) and I chased down the one with the general and BSB. The other dwarf unit didn't rally before the game ended, getting me enough points to get a minor win.

Memnos
08-01-2010, 10:52
Or one in six for any die to roll any particular number at any time.

No. There is a 100% chance for a die to roll any particular number at any time. Unless you count hitting exactly on a corner and standing there. Theoretically possible.

I have heard this argument before Bard and it doesn't hold water. If you have 6 attacks on a 3+, the odds of missing all of them in a row are 1/3*1/3*1/3*1/3*1/3*1/3 or 1/729.

Because so many dice are rolled, over a series of games you are guaranteed to have at least something bad happen during the course of your Warhammer career - When a game will go horribly wrong. This doesn't mean that odds are irrelevant. If you don't consider the odds, you will never win.

Poseidal
08-01-2010, 10:53
Warhounds being destroyed, causing panic in another hound unit that ended up running though my Chaos Knights + BSB, who failed their panic check and ran, then failed to rally the next turn and ran off the board; even with all the panic rerolls.

Memnos
08-01-2010, 10:58
Oh! And my story of bad luck actually happened to an opponent.

It was a few editions back and I had wood elves. I fired a few arrows, first turn of the game. Killed 3 people out of 10 and they fled.

Which failed their rally test on a 10 at the beginning of their turn(The general was close).

Which panicked the general who fled, failed to rally next turn and ran off the board.

And ran off 4 reaper bolt throwers, all on 10s.

And ran off 2 other units using the Generals leadership, all on 10s. Who then failed to rally and ran off the board.

So 1 failed roll on a leadership of 8, followed by 10 failed LD 10 rolls. 5/18*1/12^10 odds. The only thing left were witch elves and a frenzied hero on manticore.

Baggers
08-01-2010, 12:22
I played with a demon army under the Storm of Chaos book. Belakor spent two turns successfully casting the spell he had which affected every unit on the table. On the second turn he tried to cast a fireball. double 1. roll on the miscast table and he was dragged back into the depths of chaos.

The lesson learnt. never try simple things there doomed for failure.

phoenixguard09
08-01-2010, 15:31
This happened at a doubles tournament and really ticked my girlfriend off. My 16 strong Swordmaster unit charged a 40 strong Night Goblin unit. No Fantaics thank God. Over the next three turns I hit in total 4 times and killed one measly Goblin. Combat was still tied by the end of Turn 6.

The other one happened when my 5 Phoenix Guard were wiped out by a Chillwind.

kaubin
08-01-2010, 15:47
I just had horrible luck my last game. I went magic heavy and had 4 miscasts out of 5 turns, very early, 1st spell twice, and rolled to end the magic phase. I failed more than half my stupidity tests at leadership 9, kept breaking on 8s, and ran away at 4 inches. Solid loss, like the dice knew what the absolute worst rolls were for each individual situations.

eurys
08-01-2010, 16:11
Well actually, it did happened in a Wh40k game, years ago but i'll remember it my whole life :

14 shots on a unit, 14 dices ...... one 5, one 2, and twelve 1.
Stats chances : 1 chance out of 3.15 billion

LEGEN...... wait for it.... DARY

moose
08-01-2010, 16:33
Every single newly bought unit ever, not making it past turn 1/2...somehow!

It just always happens, for example;
My doomwheel explodes, joy.
My FW keeper of secrets gets downed by 2 bolt throwers (O&G!).

The curse of the brand new unit is an upsetting pain on us all.

...Except for my hellpit abomination! It smites whatever the weather.

Moose

Malorian
08-01-2010, 17:25
If you don't consider the odds, you will never win.

However if you think about the odds too much you won't have fun ;)

Cerraand
08-01-2010, 17:54
I'm known for my horrible dice rolls. But the worst game ever, luck-wise, was that 4500 points HE (mine, 7th ed) vs Lizardmen (6th ed back then). On the first turn, I caused only 1 wound (saved) with all magic and shooting phase altogether. On the second turn, I managed to flank a stegadon with my Star lance lord on star dragon, causing only one skink to die. I lost the round and, of course, I failed the LD test, fleeing off the table.
On the other side of the table, the dragon mage's dragon died by skink blowpipes as charge reaction. The mage himself died in combat. Oh and the second turn magic and shooting did the same as turn one, nothing!

Extreme bad luck while the opponent have extreme luck makes a game end very quickly (and boring nonetheless)...

artisturn
08-01-2010, 18:29
played in a 3 player 1500 point game Bretonnia, Drawfs,VC (me)

At this low level of a game I figured I would be ok leaving my general as a level one wizard on my first magic phase I try to cast Van Danse and miscast and then rolled a 10 on the miscast table.

My General took a strength 8 hit and lost a magic level so the rest of the game I was only a fighter and my points spent on summon ghouls was wasted.

Last year a friend(lizardmen) and my self played an epic 10K per side game
He brought 3 Slann Mages with the power that makes your sixes not count, first Lord who was out of the Slanns range roles a total power on Raise Zombie Horde I chose the healing option.
Next 3 Lords also role total power for Winds of Undeath but sadly they are in the Slanns range and those roles don't count only thing missing was the "Wah Wah " sound you hear in the cartoons.

I was devastated, I rolled 4 total powers in a roll and haven't done it since and only 1 counted after that my dice just went cold and it was horrible roles for the rest of the evening.

Daxio
08-01-2010, 19:10
I played in a 3 way 8000 pt game on the 4th, first dwarf turn saw a bloodthirster blown to bits, with a cannon, and then a stray grudgethrower shot deviate onto my beastlord'
, followed by a shot from a flame cannon... me and the Ginger Prince were somewhat crestfallen to say the least. But the dwarfs huddled together and laughed... oh how they laughed.
Hope it isn't an indication of how my luck is going to run this year!

Bard Harlock
08-01-2010, 19:36
I have heard this argument before Bard and it doesn't hold water.
Sure it does. Dice don't have memories. It's the gambler's fallacy. I am not saying odds do not matter, just that you can never count on them, which seems to be what you are saying, just in a different way.

Because so many dice are rolled, over a series of games you are guaranteed to have at least something bad happen during the course of your Warhammer career - When a game will go horribly wrong. This doesn't mean that odds are irrelevant. If you don't consider the odds, you will never win.
I don't recall ever saying bad luck doesn't happen. Oh, and people win all the time without considering the odds. That's called good luck. Wanna know what's odd? I don't really believe in luck! Figure that one out.

Drakcore Bloodtear
08-01-2010, 19:55
I played with a demon army under the Storm of Chaos book. Belakor spent two turns successfully casting the spell he had which affected every unit on the table. On the second turn he tried to cast a fireball. double 1. roll on the miscast table and he was dragged back into the depths of chaos.

The lesson learnt. never try simple things there doomed for failure.

I don't think Be'lakor can cast fireball :eyebrows:

But never-the-less bad luck

Chimera
08-01-2010, 22:59
Generally related to my Empire Artillery...

Bounced a cannonball down a line of seven Black Knights and a Wight Lord once, complete with pin-point accurate guess and a 10" bounce from the flank of the unit, hitting every single one of them. The dice came up with six 1s and a 3, followed by a 1 for the character, so I killed one of them.

Same cannon at the GT managed to bounce across the front rank of a unit of Grave Guard, hitting two Guard, the Champion, the Army General and the Battle Standard Bearer - with the same result... killed one.

Also managed to blow up eighteen Flagellants with a wayward Rocket Battery shot (that was completely covering a unit of High Elf Spearmen before it scattered...)

This was all somewhat mitigated by a Helblaster causing seventeen wounds on a unit of Flesh Hounds, completely obliterating it. But that's another thread...

Seal Cub
09-01-2010, 00:57
Not bad luck for me, quite the opposite actually, but for my opponent:

Was playing my wood elves vs his dark elves. His six strong cold one knight unit was set up so that the next charge would probably win him the game. All he had to do was charge my 10 man glade guard unit, overrun and kill of the rest of my army.

Knowing I had no way to stop this, I simply turned my Glade Guards to face him and fired one desperate volley. Six hits, six wounds. My opponent picks up six dices to make his saves, he throws them: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2. ALL DEAD! SERIOUSLY?!

I won that game thanks to that.....

vega528
09-01-2010, 06:22
I just played a game on tuesday where it was my dwarves versus his skaven. My anvil and organ blew themselves up without killing anyone, and the rest of my shooting failed to do anything. We played all the way to turn six and I only killed 2 slaves and a rattling gun to shooting. I managed to wound his doomwheel once, which went out of control a full 18 inches into the side of my longbeards with BSB thane.

Nuada
10-01-2010, 00:21
My own personal favourite is with my rock lobbers and goblin doom divers.
I had 12 misfires over 4 turns :D funny game

cr8fulloh8full
03-03-2010, 11:00
I remember I was playing against an old beastmen morghur army "the good one" with some dwarves and fired a cannon ball through 2 charriots a giant!!! It would have been a game winning shot if the shot didn't bounce into morghur and discount the whole thing!!!

Imperial Vampire
03-03-2010, 13:39
I was playing a game with my Empire versus an high elf opponent, and I misplaced a 6-man knight unit with a BSB in deployment. I put them in one flank, but didn't angle them (stupid error) so that he would be able to shoot a ballista in the flank. I said to myself: "anyway he will have to be lucky to have a result at long range".

He got lucky: first he won the roll to go first, then succeed to hit his bolt thrower on 4+, then proceed to get 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to wound (at least he was at St0 when the bolt reached the BSB), leaving my BSB alone! I thought that I was toast, because all that protected this flank now against his incoming 5-man dragon prince unit with a commander was a 10-man crossbow unit. I was then sure that he would roll my flank and get an easy 3-4 turn victory. It was not to be...

End of 1st turn, I shoot a volley of crossbow bolts, hoping to at least kill one dragon princess. I then hit 6 times out of 10 (on 5+), wound all 6 shots (on 3+), he then proceed to miss 5 out of 6 armor save on 3+, leaving his commander alone!!! It was then a brand new game!!!!

Gormereth, the Fearmonger
03-03-2010, 14:42
Couple weeks ago my 2 Ghorgons get the charge on a unit of Chaos Knights; only 3 out of 14 attacks hit and all wounds are saved.

Sygerrik
03-03-2010, 14:56
I was playing Skaven (pattern anyone) with Skrolk, a Doomwheel, and a Plague Furnace.

Over the course of the first four turns:
1) The Doomwheel misfired and did four wounds to itself
2) Skrolk's bound spell rolled a "1" and thus did nothing three times
3) Skrolk miscast three times (luckily never rolling anything truly bad on the table)
4) The Plague Furnace misfired and did three wounds to itself.

And I STILL won. Against Daemons.

Gaargod
03-03-2010, 15:28
A few amusing enough ones.

Saurus scar vet on cold one with piranha blade and enchanted shield charging into 5 flesh hounds. He's fairly well kitted out to kill about one flesh hound a turn, at least, and survive damage.
He did precisely 0 wounds for 3 turns of combat, taking one himself. He didn't break, but boy could he not hit to save his life. Game was conceded to me before the combat finished!

Same scar vet with a unit of 5 cold one riders (my luck with 2+ saves is legendary - i would never play a terminator army!) charge into a unit of giant rats + plague priest. Challenge the plague priest with scar vet, fail to do anything, take a wound. The cold ones, despite having a mass of good attacks, kill maybe 5 rats. The remaining 2 hit back and kill 2 riders. I barely won that combat (wouldn't have if it wasn't for wall of fire decimating his ranks earlier).

But the best one has to be playing against my friend. As in, that's your bad luck to do so.

He has possibly the single best luck i've ever seen. He runs with a tzeentch sorcerers + khorne knights list. Gateway hurts. He continually gets it off on 3 dice with heroes, the lord casts it most turns and we learn to expect at least one irresistable gateway a turn. That's not even counting the normal crazy damage he puts out.
Sometimes it just funny though, like when he irresistables gateway on a big expensive unit, then proceeds to swallow it whole. Literally nothing you can do. Did that 1st turn once to a vampire bunker lord (although he kinda deserves that). They replayed that game :D

Dantès
03-03-2010, 15:29
More skaven!

This is good for me, bad for my opponent :p

Unit of 5 Khorne Knights charge 9 Skavenslaves...I FAIL my fear test, so hit on 6's. All his attacks except for 1 whiff, and the one fails to wound. On my attacks back, 5 attacks, 4 hit on 6's, 3 wound, 3 1's for the knights saves! I beat them in combat, they run 4 inches, and I catch them. Next turn the GW marauders try their hand and run into a similar fate. A 44 point unit reduced to less than half, managed to take out 350+ points in two subsequent turns!

As far as bad luck goes...semifinal in a local tourney, all I have to do is win this game against Empire gunline and my final game is against all cav DE, which I actually have no problem with. Fastforward to the bottom of the 5th, it's my turn and my Clanrats just finished up the greatswords but aren't quite in range of the 7 handgunners left. My ratling gun decides to make an effort to panic them and end it right there, as all that's left is those 7 handgunners for him, 20 odd clanrats for me, and my ratling gun. First roll...6. Second roll...also 6. :(. The ratling shots scatter into the unit of clanrats, I wound with 10 and kill 7, panicking them off the board (they were 4 inches from the edge). Next turn, his handgunners fail to do any wounds, and I'm thinking I can pull out a win yet. First roll...4. Okay, this looks promising. Second roll...4. Again. Come on misfire...*boom* goes the gun, and the game is over.

*facepalm*

Lijacote
03-03-2010, 17:57
More skaven!

This is good for me, bad for my opponent :p

Unit of 5 Khorne Knights charge 9 Skavenslaves...I FAIL my fear test

US9 failing a fear test against US10? I thought Chaos Knights are US2 like most every cavalry model?

I don't have anything special to share, other than my wizards constantly rolling an 8 to cast a 9+ spell. Oh well. Not that special, but it stung at the time.

Bodysnatcher
03-03-2010, 18:43
My dice are something of a local legend... Wails of despair as my rolling go horribly wrong :p

Possibly the worst is a Lord of Change rear charging a unit of plaguebearers with epidemius and a herald BSB in. He steals the spell that makes all those in base contact have stats of 1.
He does nothing. He then rolls a 12 for Ld after losing by one. Down to 1 wound.
Next turn, he repeats the performance.

sliganian
03-03-2010, 18:56
Last edition rules and High Elves Army book. Vs. Chaos.

I get a rear charge on ranked Chaos Warriors (HW/Shield) with 5 Silve Helms and a Prince with a fancy blade. Rubber Lances, whiffle prince, not even the horses did anything. Not a damn thing. One silver helm dies, Silver Helms flee 7", Warriors pursue 10". :mad:

Agnar the Howler
03-03-2010, 18:59
My Slaan rolling 2 on the mis-cast table on turn 2 of both games he's been in. I didn't realise that they'd stuck the bit about cupped hands being able to transfer this result into a different question in the FAQ, so I assumed I couldn't use the item to stop it as per the ruling on miscast table 2s. It's annoying because both games would've probably ended in me winning if the Slaan had survived. I'm giving him one last chance to prove himself, and this time, if he does it again and cupped hands fails to save him, he's getting replaced by a carnosaur oldblood.

sssk
03-03-2010, 19:10
My most recent horrific luck revolves around a 1000 point tournament we were playing (I was playing using goblins). It was just a fun tournament, so I decided to pull out the old 15 wolf riders with light armour and shields scheme (who can resist cavalry with ranks!?). They also happened to be led by my general (a goblin big boss).

I was playing against orcs, and all was going well (except that a bad WAAAAAGH call resulted in a unit of 5 spider riders completely destroying themselves) with boar boys destroyed, a unit of night goblins destroyed, a big unit of orcs destroyed, and all of the artillery gone.

All that was left was a single big unit of orcs (with the general and I think a BSB), so I was cunningly manouvering around for a multi charge on them to occur in my 6th turn (the last turn of the game). However I made a crucial error here. I trusted that my own fanatic (I only had 2 to start with, and this one had been spinning around for the best part of 4 game turns) would kill himself or move safely away from my units, as he was a fair distance from them. He had other ideas however. 11" of fungus fuelled destruction resulted in 6 less wolf riders in the generals unit, which promptly fled the battlefield and panicked another unit of wolf riders on the way (who also legged it).

I therefore swung from a strongish victory (if the charge which was supposed to follow had worked out, it could have been a massacre) to a minor loss (at least 300 points worth of wolf riders and general + 100vp for dead general + I no longer held that board quarter).

I suppose that's what comes from unleashing a drugged up loon with a big metal ball on the battlefield....

KalEf
03-03-2010, 19:28
Glad to see it's not just our playing group!

I scraplaunchered my buddy's High elf lord wiz on turn 2. The next game his slann blewup on turn 2

I have a buddie who took the helm for his chaos lord and he faild the LD test 4 turns in a row

For me, my worst was 7 chosen chaos knights of korn at a detachment of 10 malitia men. It was the champ game of our league (about 20~30 people) I charged did 0 wounds he snuck 1 in I ran... Man I was P.O.ed

I straight out lost a star dragon to the lvl 1 tzench spell :( on thurs

KalEf
03-03-2010, 22:30
oops totally spaced that 2 of my knights were shot before i got into CC... i was still very crabby.

Commodus Leitdorf
03-03-2010, 22:57
Not the worst of luck, but the most recent one I can remember

Mini 3 game tournament, first game was against Orcs. My first magic phase rolls around and my opponent only has Mork's spirit totem for his magic defence. 5 dice is good but I have 2 wizards and a few bounds spells with my Arch Lector, I should be able to do some damage with my magic.

First spell of the game, one of those lightning spells (can't remember which one) on a unit of Squig Hoppers. 3 dice used to cast

I roll 3 ones.

Okay! Thats unfortunetly odd but I can deal. I roll on the Miscast table

I roll 2 ones.

So my wizard head explodes and I can't really slow down the Hoppers rolling up my flank. I managed to fight to a draw, but onyl by the skin of my teeth (and the awesome fighting prowess of my Spearmen!)

Maoriboy007
03-03-2010, 23:35
In all my years of playing Undead, I have had an uncanny ability to fail at rolling killing blows of any kind (including the infamous sword of kings on a Wight king/lord, ive managed it twice since 4th edition).
So when a unit of 5 knights charging a unit of tzeench knights with archaon managed 3 KBs on the knights I was ecstatic...of course when he rolled 3 6+ ward saves I was less than ecstatic. Tha game went rapidly downhill from there.

Skyros
03-03-2010, 23:37
Empire cannons seem to attract bad luck like little else.

Two cannons, two perfect guesses, both misfire. one blows up. The other can't shoot for two turns. When it can shoot, it too misfires and blows up. 200 points gone and not a single enemy model harmed.

The other unit that seems to attract bad luck are 2+ armor save cavalry. Saw 5 dragon princes fail all 6 armor saves against a volley from pistoliers and get wiped off the map in one round of shooting.

Volker the Mad Fiddler
04-03-2010, 00:29
Set up a charge with a ranked Empire unit on a lone vampire general [can't remember how he ended up alone], and declare the detachment would charge as well to use the supporting charge rule and gain some extra CR. Main unit fails its fear test on Ld 9. Detachment passes, but is not forced to charge frontally. No problem I think as at least they will hold the Vampire in place so so something else can attack or they will lead the vampire back to my main unit when the break. Sure enough, the detachment survives the first round of combat so when they break, the vampire will be stuck. The vampire wins the 2nd combat round and breaks the detachment [on a 7], fails his roll to withhold pursuit, and the detachment rolls 4 inches for their flee to end just in front of the parent unit. The vampire only rolls three for his pursuit, so is safe from the parent for the time being. The detachment then successfully rallies blocking the parent unit's charge and allowing the vampire to prance away in his turn.

Dantès
04-03-2010, 01:14
US9 failing a fear test against US10? I thought Chaos Knights are US2 like most every cavalry model?

I don't have anything special to share, other than my wizards constantly rolling an 8 to cast a 9+ spell. Oh well. Not that special, but it stung at the time.

Yeah, you're right. I take units of 21, so 10 is below half. In larger games I only take units of 20, so 10 would be at half :p

My mistake

AlmightyNocturnus
04-03-2010, 01:59
I just played a game last weekend with my Trolls of Chaos vs. a relative newcomer using an O & G army with Grimgor. My strategy was attack everything except the big unit of Black Orcs with Grimgor and it basically paid off...until the end of the game.
Grimgor`s unit finally caught a unit of trolls. With hatred, some banner that gave them an extra attack and mighty Grimgor himself chopping madly, they wiped out the unit and overran into another unit of Trolls containing Throg. I grimaced. I had no choice but to challenge Grimgor with Throgg and watch him get chopped to bits. My opponent, who had been losing pretty badly up till that point suddenly got really excited...
His EIGHT attacks caused six wounds, making me sigh. I figured if I got lucky on my regeneration rolls, maybe THrogg could survive a round and just maybe hurt Grimgor a bit. I picked up six dice and yelled "Power of Chaos!" and rolled. I regenearted all six wounds! My opponent just stared wide-eyed. I declared Throgg would puke on Grimgor and rolled a d6...a 6 came up...which turned into five wounds with no armor saves and a dead Grimgor!
I thought Throgg was as good as dead, but due to some extraordinary bad luck (from my opponent`s perspective anyway), Throgg won the game for me. Still, `twas great game with two fully painted armies.

Almighty Nocturnus

ftayl5
04-03-2010, 09:34
Horrible experience one:

My VC vs super horde Skaven army (like TONNES of slave units, barely fit in its deployment zone)
Turn 1: i decide that casting " wind of undeath" would be a good idea. (with that many units i'm sure to get some wounds.

But ofcourse my 400 something point vampire lord miscasts. rolls a double 1 on the table... hes gone.

Then when everything crumbled... most skelly units were reduced by atleast 7, my vargy was shot down to 1 wound, all my dire wolves, except one, were destroyed, grave guard were fine, ghouls were fine, lost 2 out of 4 wraiths, 1 corpse cart died and i was suddenly alot more defenceless in the magic phase.

face-palm