PDA

View Full Version : Scions of R'lyeh - Dark Eldar project

Gadicitus
01-02-2006, 19:36
This thread will catalogue the construction and completion (and any horrific battle reports) of my Dark Eldar army, the Cult of Shub-Niggurath. I'm basing the names and imagery heavily on Lovecraftian themes, because I think it's a bit more interesting than having someone called 'Klarizza Darkthirst' and a Dark Eldar army painted black + red. Everything I've got so far is a result of Warseer members Bruenor and Chivalrous selling me their unwanted DE stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/wayerst/Dark%20Eldar/before.jpg
Here's the picture of them as I get them out of the boxes.

It tallys as follows (lumping everything together)

1 Sybarite
1 Urien Rakarth
1 Lilith Heraspax

50 Dark Eldar Warriors (3 Blasters, Shredders)(4 Splinter Cannons, Dark Lances)

5 Raiders
2 Reaver Jetbikes

1 small bag of bits

Hopefully I can do these twisted Eldar gits justice. Souls for the Soul-eater!

Edit: Changed the name to something a little more 'Dark Eldar' like :)

Hideous Loon
01-02-2006, 20:03
Do you have any beans to spill on the subject of colourscheme, so that I can discard it and suggest another for you? ;)

Gadicitus
01-02-2006, 21:31
Here's my first test mini, inspired by exocowboy's plaguebearers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/wayerst/Dark%20Eldar/testmini.jpg

I really like the color, but I'm worried about 2 things:

1/ The brightness difference between the basecoat (catachan green) and the main color (camo green) is quite sharp - highlighting with too much yellow or too much white increases the difference and looks like light-sourcing instead of overall highlighting.

2/ I painted 30+ marines in a very similar scheme of Scorpion Green + White for my Sons of Medusa Space Marines...

TiltinTim
02-02-2006, 03:56
I think it rocks, I say go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speedygogo
02-02-2006, 06:57
The dark eldar are so much like Jabba the hutts mercenary force. Why someone doesn't make jabba on a raider is beyond me. Good luck with your project. I like your first trooper, who reminds me alot of a freman in a stillsuit.

Vanus
02-02-2006, 07:08
Man, it's good to see someone putting together a DE force. They were my first army, and still are my true wargaming love. Good luck, and I'll keep an eye on this one.

ExoCowboy
02-02-2006, 08:59
Yay, my plaguebearers are really infecting people ;). Nice looking model, I like also the skin really much. Keep on posting, this project is a treat to follow :cool:

Gadicitus
02-02-2006, 22:42
OK - here's the scheme I decided on. It's nothing like what I've done before, and I like it - basically, Enchanted blue + Codex gray. I think the green would look too chaos-y and not enough like the deep elegant colors an Eldar of any flavour would wear. (Striking Scorpions don't count OK!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/wayerst/Dark%20Eldar/testsquad.jpg

My plan is to get the entire army painted to tabletop standard, then go to town with the details. This is my first raider squad. As a reward, I'm going to paint a raider next! I'm going to go for an Enchanted Blue/SW Grey/Chaos Black splinter-camo. Should be fun!

Easy E
02-02-2006, 23:32
Sooooo, tell me more about this Lovecraft theme of yours.

Also, I suggest you remove the head blades from the Dark Eldar helmets, it makes them look more menacing and less over the top.

Gadicitus
03-02-2006, 12:41
I have/am removing all the blades off the heads of all my Dark Eldar other than where they are metal and have a tassle which lays on the blade, or a one or two per dozen. You'll note that I removed the blades from the double-spike helmets! :)

The theme is Lovecraftian - but won't impinge too much onto the models themselves, save for the Grotesques. I see the Dark Eldar much like Cthulhu - morally ambiguous - not crazy, not sociopathic - just outside of human reason. Without diverging too far from established fluff - the Scions of R'lyeh are simply a group of Eldar caught in the fallout of the Fall while travelling in a Dragonship. Aware of what was happening to their homeworld, they were not yet far enough away to avoid Slaneesh's grasp on their souls. Think of them as Grey Eldar. They are not decadant like 'real' Dark Eldar, but have no qualms about prolonging their existant by farming souls from 'lesser species'.

Gadicitus
04-02-2006, 17:39
Well, update time - fueled by a fine Pinot Grigio, I managed to get a raider painted up in the scheme. The squad is missing the Sybarite and a Shredder, but they are coming later :) Anyway, here it is:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/wayerst/Dark%20Eldar/raider1.jpg

I've stuck together all the broken/unbuilt warriors and taken another overall shot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/wayerst/Dark%20Eldar/v1_1_army.jpg

I've also won an auction of some Harlequins on eBay, so I'm going to use them instead of Wyches (what a stupid name - like 'grrl' or 'womyn' instead of 'girl' and 'women').

1250pt list. Provisional, but here's what I'm currently looking at:

HQ
Cthylla ~ Archon with Agoniser/Shadowfield/Combat Drugs
Xoth ~ Haemonculus with Disintegrator/Trophy Rack

Elite
Harlequin Troupe ~ 9 Wyches, Sybarite with P.Blades in Raider with Disintegrator
The Star Spawn ~ 8 Grotesques in a Raider with Disintegrator (Archon/Haemonculus goes here)

Troops
Yog-Sothoth ~ Raider with Dark Lance + 8 Warriors with Dark Lance/Blaster
Bel-Sothoth ~ Raider with Dark Lance + 8 Warriors with Dark Lance/Blaster
Idh-Sothoth ~ Raider with Disintegrator + 9 warriors with Shredder/Splinter Cannon, Sybarite with P.Blades

Yog-Shamharroth ~ 16 Warriors w/ 2 Dark Lance, 2 Splinter Cannon

Fast Attack
Ythogtha ~ 3 Reaver Jetbikes, 1 Blaster

Tactics
Archon, Haemonculus + Grotesques attack a weak point, auto-break and overrun using Archon's massive initiative, supported by Harlequins/Wyches. Warrior firebase stays back while Sybarite Raider squad and Reavers picks off juicy targets, the pair of DL/Blaster Raider squads pick off any armor.

Thoughts?

FearFrost
04-02-2006, 19:45
Harlequins > Wyches.

I like your scheme, but I cant help but thing it needs one more color...some kind of trim color. I considered doing DE a while ago, and I was going to do a jagged "tribal" sort of design over their armor to kind of spice it up, in a contrasting color to the main color.

Anyways, nice work, good luck with the army!

-B

Gadicitus
04-02-2006, 20:58
I see what you're saying - using grey instead of silver for engines and having a grey helmet doesn't give too much variation - but I'm woried of overdoing it! Maybe because the majority of warriors you can see don't have helmets, it looks strange.

Having said that, each of my raiders is going to be done slightly differently - one plain, one digital camo, one with lots of grey.

The harlequins are going to be mainly white with primary color patterns (red, green, blue, yellow, black), as is their raider transport. I'm looking forward to doing it already! :)

Gadicitus
04-02-2006, 21:57
Picked up some stuff from GW Online Store:

- Death Jester and an Incubi Blaster
- 2 Reaver Jetbikes, with a Jetbike Blaster
- 4 Harlequin Jetbike Canopies for my Reavers
- Flying bases for my Raiders

asmodai_dark86
05-02-2006, 02:14
I'm going to enjoy watching you put this together but the color seem seems a little harsh and with no blades they look... well ...nice.

I cant explain it.

Good look though, and hope to see more of your stuff soon

Metal Fingered Villain
05-02-2006, 02:37
The blue could use some darker shading to provide a little contrast on the armor but perhaps that will be done after the whole army is painted to tabletop standard? It would be easier to do it now tho...

Vanus
05-02-2006, 07:18
I think the grey on the helmets could also use a bit more shading. At first glance I thought those were bare plastic heads, not painted.

I am a fan of the blue though. It looks good. Keep it up Gadicitus!

Gadicitus
05-02-2006, 08:42
with no blades they look... well ...nice.

ARGH! Make your mind up, people!

For my next squad I've decided to try a darker base-colour to highlight from on the armor, and a lighter helmet color. We'll see how it turns out! :)

Gadicitus
06-02-2006, 13:09
Another 5 Warriors painted, as above with more stark highlights. Hair tassles were painted Snakebite Leather/Bubonic Brown and heads were Fortress Gray + Skull White.

Also painted up a warrior with Shredder, Sybarite with Poisoned Blades, and my Haemonculus, Xoth. Pictures tonight...

Luke
06-02-2006, 13:24
i am very much liking the blue, its nice and bold, not too light but not too in your face. as much as i hate the models you are doing them great justice.

edit---

btw i think olive - green helmets would look spiffing! it would add some much needed contrast

Vanus
06-02-2006, 16:47
Hrm....Luke's got an idea there, with the olive helmets. It certainly would be a good alternative.

Though, I'll hold on final judgement until I see how the new ones come out, with darker armor and lighter helms.