PDA

View Full Version : Skaven 500 Going on 750

TheRaven
07-01-2010, 15:34
I'm going into a local tournament next month and it starts out at 500 points and then goes up by 250 points every month. I've already got my 500 point army planned out:

Level 2 Warlock Engineer with Warp Condensor and Doom Rocket
24 Clanrats with Spears and Shields
25 Slaves with Shields
Rattling Gun
5 Jezzails

Now I'm thinking about what to do for the next 250 points and am kind of stuck. The only rule is that there are no rares allowed yet (Otherwise I would have just taken a Doom Wheel lol). So what do I do? Do I just beef up with more Clanrats/Slaves with another weapon team? Should I get some Plague Monks and Censer Bearers? Another caster? A unit of slaves and a unit of stormvermin with the banner of the underempire? Any thoughts on what units are best for skaven at 750 points?

tarrym
07-01-2010, 19:00
Doomwheel, and some more rats (giant or clan).

LKHERO
07-01-2010, 19:01
Hell Pit Abom.

TheRaven
07-01-2010, 19:04
The only rule is that there are no rares allowed

I repeat, the only rule is that there are no rares allowed.

LKHERO
07-01-2010, 19:33
I repeat, the only rule is that there are no rares allowed.

Plague Censors then.

AtnaShadow
07-01-2010, 19:38
Well, for the 500 you currently have, I'd personally recommend something other than the warlock, just because, as a general, he doesn't help with your leadership at all (except with the slaves).

Also, I'd think (though I've never actually played a game under 1000pts with my skaven) that it would be a better idea in the first 500-750 to just go for sheer weight of bodies on the field. Personally, I'd go for some Giant Rat units, as they are very, very good for their points since they always fight in two ranks, and are (relatively) quick. Dropping the Jezzail teams would free up 100 or so points, which would allow for a couple average-sized rat blocks. You could get even more if you dropped the Warlock (which I think runs about 150 the way you have him, a lot for a 500 point game) for a cheap chieftain just for the leadership.

As to the nest 250, I'd still say getting more bodies on the field is the best bet. A monk unit could be good here, as they can pack a reasonable punch due to sheer weight of attacks. Also if you can squeeze in a priest to go with them (either by dropping the afore mentioned warlock if you kept him, or just rearranging some points), he could do well leading them and can do some good damage in combat, or with magic.