PDA

View Full Version : World of Darkness: Rome; General Situation.

Hate Train
01-02-2006, 19:51
This thread is for discussing the general situation and relationship between the factions.

My idea is that since Rome is so rich in history that there will be more Vampires seeking that... "sophisticated" surrounding, making them fairly plentiful. Quite on level would be the number of mages for similar reasons. Werewolves, probably not so much. Given the nature of Rome's cramped streets it seems as though it would be harder to hide and so Werewolves would probably want to avoid the city.

Hlokk
01-02-2006, 21:41
The general situation.
"Rome is a blasphemy, an ancient plague of man built on the shoulders of tyranny, opression and evil beings. It is a symbol of all that is currupt with this world, its artifices scratch the sky while monuments to slaugher and death stand beside them. Rome is a curse, and I will cleanse this city of its evil if it kills me"
Kjell Ironfist: Uthara Chieftain

Rome has always been a central seat of the vampire nation since before the time of Christ. Thus certain factions will want to maintain control (As specified below). I see the city infested with Belishu and having several open wounds, where the gauntlet is thinner, leading to a pretty much open war between the Uthara and the Belishu, as well as the pain and anger spirits which are leaking out in places like the colluseum. While I agree that some might not want to be in the city, I imagine that a number of the werewolves venture into the city to find spirits to use as totems, allies, kill spirit ridden etc... Plus Rome was the centre of 2 empires, both forged in Blood. Its only natural that there are ********s of spirits breaking through. Mages, I dunno. I see them as wanting to create a new atlantis in the city, sort of wiping the slate clean. They tried it once before with the roman empire and failed, but they came close. This time, although the world is different, they know their mistakes, and their not about to make them again.

*Cracks knuckles*

Right, basic bit of nWoD history, it'll be up to us to fill in the blanks.

150 or so years after the death of Christ, the Camarillia was formed. This was an alliance between the first estate (Invictus) and the second estate (The Lancea Sanctum) in order to form a vampire nation, with its power eminating from rome. As Rome was the keystone of kine civilisation at that time, it would come as no suprise that is was also the central powerbase of the Carmarillia.

Indeed, the Invictus sourcebook also has the first recorded reference to the "first estate" from about 250 BC, exponding an agreement between Caesar and the then prince of the city to allow feeding rights to Invictus.

From then on, every thing gets a little hazy. We know some facts, like some germanic tribes were aligned with Werewolves (Lancea Sanctum sourcebook), and there were non atlantean mages who may have infiltrated roman society.

So the way I see it, we need to concentrate on Vampire first. Simply because its got the most material available, its the most popular and its also the one with the closest ties to Rome.

So, generally speaking, this is how I would like to see the covenants:

Invictus:

The Prince of the city is invictus, however, his position is becoming more and more unstable with every passing year. As more and more vampires see the invictus model as antiquitated and irrelevant, they find they are loosing power to more politically minded vampires from the Carthians, who embrace a marxist style of government. Few of the Elders are Invictus, in fact, the most powerful of them have recently been found crucified and left in the sun to burn to ashes.

The invictus have always been lord and master of rome, and are attempting to restore it to its full glory. With the coming of the EU and EEC comes the opportunity for Rome to once again be a dominant world power, thus the Invictus are smashing their claws into everything including prostitution, greenbelt land development, immigration from Turkey and so forth, in order to bring more money and power into rome for them to manipulate.

The Lancea Sanctum

The Kindred are engaged in a secret war with the Church. A vampire elder has been captured by a vatican inquisitonal team and been forced, under duress, to reveal some of the secrets of theban sorcery (No more than 2 dot). This team is tracking down solitary vampires and hunting for clues to the location of the spear of destiny (Not the actual spear itself, as that would be too powerful). Also, the bodies of several non-christian leaders have been found in the sewers, executed in the style of the inquisition. Is this the church trying to get back dominance or is it revenge from the Lancea Sanctum for the mistreatment of Christians thousands of years ago?

The Ordo Dracul

Rome is riddled with catacombs. The ordo dracul do not have either the age or the support to be massively active on the surface. However, there are several wyrm nests within the catacombs which are ideal places for them to conduct their experiments. Unusually, a lot of the vampires in the sewers are Nosferatu, leading to stories about boogeymen in the sewers.

Carthians

For the youngest movement, they are gathering a lot of support from the unbound and newly embraced, who are disillusioned with the "Old men in their ivory tower" style of Invictus leadership. The Carthians have elected a leader with ties back to communist russia called Sergei Petrovitch, a Davea with extraordinary powers, and who is the first vampire to refuse to bow to the Invictus prince. With the volume of support, it is only a matter of time before they overrun Ellesium and take control. Petrovitch is also much more open to alliances with Mages, but not so with Lupines, who he views as bastardised hybrids of a long forgotten age.

Circle of the Crone

I woul;d like to see this movement outlawed, both due to the prince seeing it as a powerful distabilising force, but also because of political pressure from the Lancea Sanctum. I imagine they are also in the catacombs conducting secret rituals and fighting running battles with Vatican Hit-squads (we so have to have them in)

Well, those are my ideas. A city teetering on the edge of war from 3-4 different angles.

ironduke
02-02-2006, 09:29
yes i know about the camarilla, and the history but i dont think we should base it in terms of numbers for all three venues.

Yes the camarilla was powerful in Rome but its no longer in existence and didn't work, I don't want us to create another situation where we have another camarilla on our hands *shakes head*

Keep it concentrated on the city because Vampire is based from domain to domain, not nationally and certainly not globally. With the intrigue and parties playing off against each other in Vampire I think the Prince will be hard pressed sorting out his own supernatural without trying to run out Werewolves and Mages, ergo keep them but werewolves predominantly around the city of Rome but they are found in cities as well.

Umm Covenant wise I think to start with we need some intel on Rome in the real world which we can base stuff around and use for the WOD

Hlokk
02-02-2006, 12:31
Yes the camarilla was powerful in Rome but its no longer in existence and didn't work, I don't want us to create another situation where we have another camarilla on our hands *shakes head*
Im not advocating another Camarilla, but I am suggesting that members of the Invictus and the Lancea Sanctum would realistically be pushing for that. Obivously, they need to secure a firm powerbase in rome first, but i think its worth including.

As for the whole invictus links thing, i thought it would be a good opportunity to introduce some human NPCs who might not be aware with who their dealing with precisely.

ironduke
03-02-2006, 11:13
Yeah of course! from reading what you put ive obviously misinterpreted what youve said im okay with the push for dominance because thats what its all about if your an invictus and Lancea Sanctum (though they dont like saying it)

On the surface their in control but underneath infighting, political plays and back stabbing (politically and literal)

I think with Vampire if we get like i said intel on Rome and then work through covenant by covenant and say this covenant would be good here and ideas and such and compile.

Though I think at this point it should be general ideas for areas without thinking yet of how they interact.

Example Lancea Sanctum in one place with most priests being kindred, Another idea is a bunch of Invictus who are very religious etc

Hlokk
05-02-2006, 15:23
Ok, 2 quick points.

1: I had a think over the weekend. While I'd like there to be some church intregue, I dont want to lable the Catholic church as this uber evil entity. I was wondering if we could portray it as a force for good, with some elements acting out of incorrect/misguided intentions. This is partly due to my own devout catholic beliefs, but also because there are millions of Catholics out there, and if we host this on a website, the last thing I want is to be innundated with e-mails from pissed off people. As well, I dont want to be accused of jumping on the Davinci code/holy blood, holy grail bandwagon

2: Heres the brief Wikpedia article on Rome

History
Main article: History of Rome
The civilization of ancient Rome originated in the 8th or 9th century BC, when northern tribes migrated to the Italian peninsula to settle around the River Tiber. For several hundred years, Rome was the most important city in the Western world, as the capital of the expansive Roman Empire. With the rise of Christianity, Rome became the center of the Roman Catholic Church and the home of the Popes. The slow decline of the Roman Empire heralded the beginning of the Middle Ages, but the city regained prominence as the political capital of Europe for several hundred years leading up to the Renaissance. Rome remains influential today, as the capital of Italy and a major world city.

[edit]
Demographics
This section is a stub. You can help by adding to it.
Throughout its long history Rome has been a center of learning, trade and commerce. The native Italian population have shared their city throughout the ages with migrants from across Europe and the wider world. In ancient times a large proportion of the population were foreign merchants, slaves, officials and their descendants who came from different areas of the wide empire which bore the city's name. Today the population is very diverse with immigrants thought to make up as much as 20% of the population of the city.

[edit]
Economy
This section is a stub. You can help by adding to it.
Today Rome has a dynamic and diverse economy concentrating on innovation, technologies, communications and the service sector. They produce 6.5% of the national GDP (more than any other city in the Italy) and continues to grow at a higher rate than those in the rest of the country. Tourism is inevitably one of Rome's chief industries. The city is also a centre for banking, publishing, insurance, fashion, high-tech industries, housing, cinema (particularly at the famous Cinecittą studios, dubbed the "Hollywood on the Tiber"), and the aerospace industries.

Many international headquarters, government ministries, conference centres, sports venues and museums are located in Rome's principal business districts: the E.U.R. (Esposizione Universale Roma); the Torrino (further south from the E.U.R.); the Magliana; the Parco de' Medici-Laurentina and the so-called Tiburtina-valley along the ancient Via Tiburtina.

[edit]
Transportation

A view of the Palalottomatica sports palace (formerly known as Palaeur) from the park around the artificial lake. Rome, EUR district.Rome has an intercontinental airport named Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport - FCO, but more commonly known as Fiumicino, which also is Italy's chief airport, and the Giovan-Battista Pastine international airport (commonly referred to as Ciampino Airport), a joint civilian and military airport southeast of the city-center, along the Via Appia, which handles mainly charter flights and regional European flights including some low-cost airlines. A third airport, called Aeroporto dell'Urbe, is located in the north of the city along the ancient Via Salaria and handles mainly helicopters and private flights. A fourth airport, called Aeroporto di Centocelle, in the eastern part of Rome between the Via Prenestina and the Via Casilina, has been abandoned for some years now, but is currently being redeveloped as one of the largest public parks in Rome.

A 2-line subway system operates in Rome called the "Metropolitana" or Rome Metro. Construction works for the first branch started in the 1930s. The line had been planned to quickly connect the main train station (Termini) with the newly planned E42 area in the southern suburbs, where the 1942 World Fair was supposed to be held. The event never took place because of war. The area was later partly redesigned and renamed EUR in the 1950s to serve as a modern business district. The line was finally opened in 1955 and it's now part of the B Line. The A line opened in 1980 from Ottaviano to Anagnina stations, later extended in stages (1999 - 2000) to Battistini. In the 1990s an extension of the B line was opened from Termini to Rebibbia. A new branch of the B line (B1) is under construction.

The frequent archaeological findings delay underground work. This underground network is generally reliable (although it may become very congested at peak times and during events, especially the A line) as it is relatively short. As of 2005, total length is 38 km. The two existing lines, A & B, only intersect at one point, Termini Station, the main train station in Rome (which also is the largest train station in Europe, underneath and around which exists now a lively shopping center known as the "Forum Termini" with more than 100 shops of various types). Other stations includes: Tiburtina (second-largest, which is currently being redeveloped and enlarged to become the main high-speed train hub in the city), Ostiense, Trastevere, Tuscolana, S. Pietro, Casilina, Torricola.

The Rome Metro is part of an extensive transport network made of a tramway network, several suburban and urban lines in and around the city of Rome, plus an "express line" to Fiumicino Airport. Whereas most FS-Regionale lines (Regional State Railways) do provide mostly a suburban service with more than 20 stations scattered throughout the city, the Roma-Lido (starting at Ostiense station), the Roma-Pantano (starting nearby Termini) and the Roma-Nord (starting at Flaminio station) lines offer a metro-like service.

Rome also has a comprehensive bus system. The web site (translated in English) of the public transportation company (ATAC) allows a route to be calculated using the buses and subways. Metrebus integrated fare system allows holders of tickets and integrated passes to travel on all companies vehicles, within the validity time of the ticket purchased.

Chronic congestion caused by cars during the 1970s and 1980s led to the banning of unauthorized traffic from the central part of city during workdays from 6.00 a.m to 6 p.m. (this area is officially called Zona a Traffico Limitato, Z.T.L. in short). Heavy traffic due to night-life crowds during week-ends led in recent years to the creation of other Z.T.L.s in the Trastevere and S. Lorenzo districts during the night, and to the experimentation of a new night Z.T.L. also in the city center (plans to create a night Z.T.L. in the Testaccio district as well are underway). In recent years, parking-spaces along the streets in wide areas of the city have been converted to pay-parkings, as new underground parkings spread throughout the city. In spite of all these measures, traffic remains an unsolved problem, as in the rest of the world's cities.

[edit]
Education

Rome's skylineRome continues to be the major education and research center of Italy, with many major universities that offer degrees in all fields. Among the prestigious educational establishments in Rome is the University of Rome La Sapienza (founded 1303), which is Europe’s biggest university with almost 150,000 students. The city is also home to three other public universities: Universitą degli studi di Roma “Tor Vergata”, more commonly called Roma 2, University of Roma Tre and the Istituto Universitario di Scienze Motorie.

Undisputed as the greatest repository of western art of the last 3,000 years of human history, Rome is home to many foreign academic institutions, as well, such as The American Academy, The British School, The French Institute, The German Archaeological Institute, The Swedish Institute, and The Finnish Institute, The Japan Foundation.

Several private universities are as well located in Rome, as:

LUISS University (Libera universitą internazionale degli studi sociali), probably the most prestigious private university in Rome;
Universitą Cattolica Del Sacro Cuore, a renowned university in Italy;
John Cabot University, a private American University;
LUMSA University (Libera Universita Maria SS. Assunta);
University of Malta, an International University;
Libera Universitą di Roma "Leonardo da Vinci";
Libera Universitą Degli Studi "S. Pio V";
UPTER University;
I.S.S.A.S. University.
Still located in Rome are the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia - the world's oldest academy of music (founded 1584), St. John's University's Rome campus which is located at the Pontificio Oratorio San Pietro, several academies of fine arts, colleges of the church, medical and Health research instituts.

ironduke
06-02-2006, 09:32
Thats cool it starts the thinking process, oh and about the Church thing i was thinking that we should make them hunters anyway rather than kindred.

Lets introduce some fear into the venues in the form of a kind of secret suopernatural extermination force :)

Hlokk
06-02-2006, 16:29
Lets introduce some fear into the venues in the form of a kind of secret suopernatural extermination force :)
Now that is a sweet idea.

What about a "Clean" version of theban sorcery? The existing rites tend to exemplify the darker parts of the Bibile and blood potency (turning blood into a lash and ****) , so what about if we had guys with the ability to turn people into pillars of salt and some nasty old testament powers?

Hlokk
16-02-2006, 17:52
New update.

Have posted this in Stories and art:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=485760#post485760

to hire us some artists.

Im thinking we should actually get cracking with the background now, as its been 2 weeks.

How about we take a look at the roman empire and the likely influences vapires had on it, as a starter for 10.

notdakuningist
23-02-2006, 04:47
I wish i could be of more help but I'm only really familiar with the old world of darkness. Since however some of the key concepts probably translate easily how about this for starters.

1. Vampires need cities to exist. They are safer from their enemies and can afford to congregate in larger numbers and pool resources in a region with a larger human population. That said, Rome was in many ways one of the first "modern" style cities and that allowed it to grow greatly in population. The creation of the aqueducts and roads around rome allowed it to grow very rapidly to accomodate new people. Maybe suggesting some kind of vampire influence over the public works projects during the early years.

Other than that start with the staples, try not to get bogged down in ancient history too much however as that can "paint you into a corner" so to speak when you are trying to write about later events.