PDA

View Full Version : Skaven sneak attack

Malorian
07-01-2010, 21:38
So far I haven't seen any reports of that weapon team that lets you pop out of the ground and charge (warp grinder I think it's called).

Has any one used this? Is it worth it on a good sized unit of say 20? Or does it just sound cool?

Gokamok
07-01-2010, 22:55
I read some Battle reports on another forum, where a guy tested out different Skaven builds, he used 15 Night Runners with Warp Grinder in one of his battles, alongside a unit of Gutter Runners, and was very pleased with the results.

I think it works best with a horde army, where your opponent will face so many units that turning one of his own units around to deal with the tunnel team will be risky.

XLast_Of_The_OrderX
08-01-2010, 00:25
I've used it 2 times before. Its a risky effect (as is everything else in the Skaven army), but when it hits dead-on, its pretty sweet.

It seems IMO that the risk/effect balance is only really worth it when facing a gunline. Its AWESOME to pop up behind your enemy's most brutal war machine, and render it completely inneffective.

Other than that reason though, I can't justify taking it for a unit that costs only a little bit more than the machine itself.

Atrahasis
08-01-2010, 13:40
I use it in my 2250 horde list, and it has won more than one game.

I run 20 nights with champ and slings or 23 with slings depending on my mood. The slings are for comedy large-target-practice. Last game I took half wounds off a treeman the turn they arrived - 40 shots is a wonderful thing.

shadow hunter
08-01-2010, 13:51
Are slings really that good?

S3 2x shots (at 9") thats 5's to hit against a large target, right?

Out of 40 shots, its about 13 hit? But then you need 6's to wound. So maybe 2 wounds.

Then Most large targets have armour/ward/both.

Chances are they'll just save them, then charge you.

Am I missing something? Honestly, I'm a newish player (just returned after years absent) so am really interested - just seems everytime I type I sound sarcastic, lol.

moose
08-01-2010, 14:01
Am I missing something? Honestly, I'm a newish player (just returned after years absent) so am really interested - just seems everytime I type I sound sarcastic, lol.

No, you're dead on.

However, it's their potential which is great. It's rare mathammer works out exactly as it sounds in the real world. More times than you'd expect the dice gods will favour you when the chips are down, or it's david vs goliath.

That said, I don't take slings.

Moose.

shadow hunter
08-01-2010, 14:13
I dont rely on mathhammer either, as during a game too many times have I been certain the outcome would be in my favour - only for the dice to laugh in my face, but I do like mathhammer to help decide upon when to charge, what to equip units etc.

So like you, I couldn't really see that slings would be as useful as I've heard some people quote.

I ask, as my Warriors opponent is thinking of getting a Dragon, and if there was something I was missing, then I was keen to hear.

moose
08-01-2010, 14:23
I wouldn't rely on slings to take out the big nasties, if I were to use them it'd be for generally harassing units.

Messing up fast cav plans, killing warmachine crew, or taking out ranks is nice; but taking the odd wound off big gribblies if they haven't got anything better to do is also nice.

For a dragon, i'd focus on the obvious shooting/magic. But dragons are vulnerable against flanks/CR, so keep your blocks tight and in checkerboard formation and most experienced generals won't charge it in.

Moose.