PDA

View Full Version : Kinda Disappointed...

Edonil
08-01-2010, 01:44
So, just played a proxy game with a friend with him using the new tyranid book based on the rumors, and me using a Witch Hunter army I've adjusted thanks to the same rumors. And I have to say- disappointed. Well, my friend was actually pretty depressed. While I'm not about to say the book is uncompetitive, it really seems like they nerfed nidzilla harsher than necessary, which means that the army of nidzilla is no longer functional, but that tyrants and carnifexes aren't any better than they were, so they're even less useful outside of a nidzilla list.

The biggest disappointment was the Tervigon- I ran an Inq. Lord with psychic hood (who died early to stealers cause I was stupid) and just stopped it from casting powers, then killed it. It didn't do a whole lot, and while the buffs to termagaunts are concievably nice, they didn't help them a whole heckuva lot. And the downside of killing the tervigon with gaunts nearby is harsh.

I dunno. We didn't use Trygons, Gargoyles, Hormagaunts, Hive Guard, or a bunch of other things...but we did see things that were talked about on the rumors as being at least passable, and they didn't do a whole lot. As a whole, I'm not claiming the book is utter crap, and completely useless... but I am getting the same feeling I had when Warriors of Chaos got released for Fantasy- just disappointed.

squeekenator
08-01-2010, 01:53
What did you expect? You're using Witch Hunters, who, unless you had a mainly Inquisitorial force with few Sisters, are one of the best armies to deal with Tyranids (flamers, meltas, transports), and your opponent had no Hive Guard, which are some of the best transport killers in the game. Not only that, but your army was also tailored to beat his, whereas his army, for whatever reason, avoided using the best units in the book. If you had an all-comers list and your opponent wasn't ignoring the most competitive units, things could have been different.

Creeping Dementia
08-01-2010, 02:01
Aww, Ninjad,

Wouldn't everyone expect a Witch Hunter army that is geared specifically against Nids, to win? I'm not worried about my Sisters going up against Nids, the SoB armament seems to be specifically designed to take out Nids.

You're not calling for doom and gloom though, and I respect that. I'd expect some other options to make Nids much more competitive, like Trygons/Mawlocs, Death Leaper to cripple your Inquisitor, and a few other options that I think will show up regularly.

Lord Malorne
08-01-2010, 02:04
This proves nothing at all.

Lord Malorne

Edonil
08-01-2010, 02:06
Well, all I adjusted was adding in some anti-psyker stuff, which died in the first two turns doing nothing. Otherwise, it was my standard list. Not trying to prove anything, merely was sharing my impression.

Creeping Dementia
08-01-2010, 02:11
Well, all I adjusted was adding in some anti-psyker stuff, which died in the first two turns doing nothing. Otherwise, it was my standard list. Not trying to prove anything, merely was sharing my impression.

Thats understandable, the only unit I'm considering adding to my Sisters is a DH inquisitor for basically the same reasons, and not just for Nids, it'll help against Eldar and SW as well.

Vepr
08-01-2010, 02:35
After playing some test games I still trying to get the gist of the new nids. They are definitely more interdependent than before. The horde does not seem any better even with the tervigons which is a bit disappointing but nid troops have always been either cannon fodder or glass hammers. I think the key is going to be balance using our small, medium and big bugs it is just a question of finding that balance because of the costs.

Writerski7
08-01-2010, 02:41
What did you expect? You're using Witch Hunters, who, unless you had a mainly Inquisitorial force with few Sisters, are one of the best armies to deal with Tyranids (flamers, meltas, transports), and your opponent had no Hive Guard, which are some of the best transport killers in the game. Not only that, but your army was also tailored to beat his, whereas his army, for whatever reason, avoided using the best units in the book. If you had an all-comers list and your opponent wasn't ignoring the most competitive units, things could have been different.

Aww, Ninjad,

Wouldn't everyone expect a Witch Hunter army that is geared specifically against Nids, to win? I'm not worried about my Sisters going up against Nids, the SoB armament seems to be specifically designed to take out Nids.

You're not calling for doom and gloom though, and I respect that. I'd expect some other options to make Nids much more competitive, like Trygons/Mawlocs, Death Leaper to cripple your Inquisitor, and a few other options that I think will show up regularly.

Maybe SoB still remember the first ever encounter between man and Tyranid . . . that 101 training camp thing.

Wait that was Necrons. Nevermind . . . but still . . . they seem to really have it in for Tyranids. Perhaps a coincidence from purging so many Genestealer Cults within the Imperium.

NEW SMILY :shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty:

XenosVanquisher
08-01-2010, 02:48
This proves nothing at all.

Lord Malorne

QFT.

I'm reserving my judgement.

Edonil
08-01-2010, 02:55
QFT.

I'm reserving my judgement.

Honestly, and in spite of my post, I would encourage everyone to do so. While I didn't tailor my army list to be anti-nid, it is a competitive all-comers list that I run. I really have high hopes for the tyranids, my brother is starting them and I've always liked the idea of them. I'm just underwhelmed by what I saw on the board, that's all.

Hicks
08-01-2010, 02:57
It doesn't prove that he new dex is crap... but I have yet to see someone posting a thread about trying the new dex and finding it anywhere near as powerfull as anything that came out for 5th ed to date.

After the Space Wolf codex, you can't help but find the Tyranid one to be terrible in comparison.

Vineas
08-01-2010, 05:11
That won't happen until more than a handful of people try it and more than 1 person posts it.

Give it a few weeks to a month after the codex is officially "out" and see what happens then. I also doubt that everyone with access to it and has played games with it already even posts on public forums so I find forum opinion to be just that. Opinion.