PDA

View Full Version : What Size Base for A hellpit Abomination

Tsinner
08-01-2010, 03:06
:)Hi all im about to start building my own HPA and i was wondering what size base i should use? also im sure many of you other skaven players have begun to construct your own , id love to see some pics , will post mine asap

Kalandros
08-01-2010, 04:05
The Majority I've seen were on Chariot bases. They like having the extra length when going in a different direction than the one they're facing (or the back) since the free pivot gives an extra inch.

Lord Dan
08-01-2010, 04:15
The Majority I've seen were on Chariot bases. They like having the extra length when going in a different direction than the one they're facing (or the back) since the free pivot gives an extra inch.

You make it sound like a legitimate way to gain distance. It's not.

xragg
08-01-2010, 14:49
I put mine on a chariot base since it is supposed to be really big like a hydra or dragon. Putting it on a smaller base just didnt seem fitting. I hope other people do it for similar reason and not cause they might get some cheeseball extra movement with pivoting.

There already is a thread with people posting their HPAs, though it has slipped from the recent posts a bit.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234069

Here is a photobucket link of the HPA I made for my friend as a Christmas present.

http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/xragg/Hellpit%20Abomination/

nosferatu1001
08-01-2010, 21:29
You make it sound like a legitimate way to gain distance. It's not.

Yes it is - the pivot does not count as movement, and any pivot about a centre of a rectangle will not result in even movement.

Orcboy_Phil
08-01-2010, 21:52

You make it sound so devious. I mounted mine on one because the model I was building would not have fitted on 50mm square. But to answer the OP there is no known basse size however convention would be either a chariot base or a 50mm square "monster" base.

Lord Dan
09-01-2010, 04:40
Yes it is - the pivot does not count as movement, and any pivot about a centre of a rectangle will not result in even movement.
Taking that into account shouldn't we then measure from the center-most point of the chariot base, as that would negate this otherwise unfair extra distance?

nosferatu1001
09-01-2010, 11:33
No, because you are told how to measure models. Its the same as the back model of a lance when it wheels moves significantly more than the front models, but you dont consider this in the movement values. It is part of the abstraction of the game.

It is an accepted part of both 40k and fantasy. Hell, much worse in 40k - pivot moves with a (lands)raider give you a lot of extra distance.

xragg
09-01-2010, 11:53
Its not even a big deal. You gain 1", one time when moving towards something. Deploy sideways, turn to face opponent, gain 1", and that's it. Unless you change your mind the following turn and want to move towards a target on your flank, you cant do the trick again.

Kalandros
09-01-2010, 13:42
Anyone doing that during deployment is very unsportive and deserves to have their opponent pick up his things and leave.

During gameplay itll happen because its how it works with chariot bases.

Lord Dan
10-01-2010, 03:23
Its not even a big deal. You gain 1", one time when moving towards something. Deploy sideways, turn to face opponent, gain 1", and that's it. Unless you change your mind the following turn and want to move towards a target on your flank, you cant do the trick again.

And then you declare a charge and happen to make it by an inch. That's a bigger deal.