PDA

View Full Version : Inferno Bolts

x2wyckedx
09-01-2010, 00:23
Why can't the HQ unit for my "Thousand Sons" army take Inferno bolts like the troops in his army?

chaos0xomega
09-01-2010, 00:25
Because he is not a Thousand Sons marine, merely a Chaos Space Marine HQ option with the mark of tzeentch.

blurrymadness
09-01-2010, 00:27
And while that might seem strange, you can easily supplement this with Doombolt (which has an assault 3 version of the same profile) or with the Daemon Weapon which gives D6 assault shots of the same profile. Given this, it's hardly a big deal as you would rather have a better version with an HQ anyway I imagine.

x2wyckedx
09-01-2010, 00:35
Why do I have to supplement something? Why can't my HQ fire the same type of ammunition from his bolt pistol as the rest of HIS LEGION?

hivefleetcarrion
09-01-2010, 00:42
if you really want your hq to have Inferno bolts then take ahriman... problem solved

Silentbob10
09-01-2010, 00:42
Because he aint from the legion!!! chaos lords in the codex only have the mark they are not from the particular legion hence why nurgle markes dnt have blight grenades and int 3 if u really want a thousand sons lord take the charector.

Mannimarco
09-01-2010, 00:43
didnt you have a thread earlier on today which was basically "why cant i take my word bearer legion anymore" a rather simplistic thread which was called for trolling and for some reason or another has now vanished, not locked, not moved just vanished

now we have another thread bemoaning the lack of a thousand son legion

chaos0xomega
09-01-2010, 02:15
Why do I have to supplement something? Why can't my HQ fire the same type of ammunition from his bolt pistol as the rest of HIS LEGION?

Because your HQ isn't a member of the Thousand Sons Legion. All Thousand Sons worship tzeentch. Not all Tzeentch worshipping CSM are Thousand Sons.

If you want a Thousand Sons HQ do as others have suggested, take ahriman or use a daemon weapon/doombolt

meno1
09-01-2010, 04:08
chaos0xomega is spot on there. Just because he worships Tzeentch, does not mean he is a Thousand Sons warrior. Ahriman, on the other hand, was there when the Thousand Sons were turned to dust, and therefore is one of them. If you really want, use Doombolt and just say it's Inferno bolts. Problem solved.

Havarel
09-01-2010, 05:09
Because GW have removed all attempt at character from this codex. Your Lord can be a renegade who happens to follow a certain God with the support of X Legion, but can't actually be a member of X Legion. They don't participate in the long war, merely donate their minions to renegade Lords who might have a chance against the Imperium.....

shabbadoo
09-01-2010, 05:14
Codes: Chaos Space Marines is not a Legions codex, but an all-comers codex. Players are expected to use it to cover everything, but it fails to do so with the right flavor due to a distinct lack of Legion-specific options for non-Legion units. You will just have to make due and represent things as they can be. Not everyone is happy with that , but it is your only option other than writing up your own army list with its own Legion-specific options and getting your opponents to agree to play against it.

While Codex: Chaos Space Marines works well enough, GW failed miserably by removing most of what people like about Chaos in the first place- the Legions. They know they messed up, so I don't expect them to do this again in the 5E codex.

Grand Master Raziel
09-01-2010, 05:28
My take on the matter is that there is a difference between a Thousand Son and a Thousand Son Rubric Marine. The Rubric Marines are those Thousand Sons who underwent the Rubric of Ahriman, which was a one-time event that occurred thousands of years ago, and turned most of the current Thousand Sons into mindless automotons, handfuls of ash inside sealed armor. Their bolters fire the sorcerous energy with which they are indundated. Proper sorcerors cast spells rather than firing off raw sorcerous energy in such a crude fashion, which is why most don't fire inferno bolts.

Now, after Ahriman cast his great Rubric, the Thousand Sons certainly must have recruited new members, because 10,000 years is a long time, casualties were a certainty, and the legion wasn't exactly at full strength after being thrashed and driven off their homeworld by the Space Wolves in the first place. So, any post-Rubric recruits would not be automotons in armor, but Chaos Marines who happen to worship Tzeench. Some of them would move up the ranks, become sorcerors, lords, and daaemon princes. So to would those Thousand Sons that were present for the Rubric but were lucky enough to come through it body and mind intact. In either of these cases, you'd have leaders that don't necessarily fire inferno bolts.

zoggin-eck
09-01-2010, 09:53
Yes, we went through this with Word BEarers earlier, and every response was simply "Why can't they?"

In this example it makes sense, mark of Tzeentch does not equal Thousand sons.

Mr_Rose
09-01-2010, 11:42
My take on the matter is that there is a difference between a Thousand Son and a Thousand Son Rubric Marine. The Rubric Marines are those Thousand Sons who underwent the Rubric of Ahriman, which was a one-time event that occurred thousands of years ago, and turned most of the current Thousand Sons into mindless automotons, handfuls of ash inside sealed armor. Their bolters fire the sorcerous energy with which they are indundated. Proper sorcerors cast spells rather than firing off raw sorcerous energy in such a crude fashion, which is why most don't fire inferno bolts.

Now, after Ahriman cast his great Rubric, the Thousand Sons certainly must have recruited new members, because 10,000 years is a long time, casualties were a certainty, and the legion wasn't exactly at full strength after being thrashed and driven off their homeworld by the Space Wolves in the first place. So, any post-Rubric recruits would not be automotons in armor, but Chaos Marines who happen to worship Tzeench. Some of them would move up the ranks, become sorcerors, lords, and daaemon princes. So to would those Thousand Sons that were present for the Rubric but were lucky enough to come through it body and mind intact. In either of these cases, you'd have leaders that don't necessarily fire inferno bolts.
Hmm; I thought I read somewhere that rubric'd marines could never truly die, that if their armour could be recovered and repaired their "soul", or whatever is left of it, would still be attached and able to operate the suit. Even if you were only able to recover the tiniest shard of plasteel from the original armour, you could embed that into a brand new suit and it would be taken over by the power of the Rubric.

This would certainly solve quite a lot of recruitment issues for the 1K sons.

DeadlySquirrel
09-01-2010, 13:12
didnt you have a thread earlier on today which was basically "why cant i take my word bearer legion anymore" a rather simplistic thread which was called for trolling and for some reason or another has now vanished, not locked, not moved just vanished

now we have another thread bemoaning the lack of a thousand son legion

yes, yes we did. And i was there =]

lol

This guy should get banned for trolling or something

x2wyckedx
09-01-2010, 14:38
ehhhh.... sarcasm.

Grand Master Raziel
09-01-2010, 15:24
Hmm; I thought I read somewhere that rubric'd marines could never truly die, that if their armour could be recovered and repaired their "soul", or whatever is left of it, would still be attached and able to operate the suit. Even if you were only able to recover the tiniest shard of plasteel from the original armour, you could embed that into a brand new suit and it would be taken over by the power of the Rubric.

This would certainly solve quite a lot of recruitment issues for the 1K sons.

Even if that's the case, the Rubric Marines would occasionally get totally obliterated - a direct hit from a lascannon would probably be enough, and if it's not, there's definately bigger things out there that would. Suffice it to say, even with a fairly low attrition rate, you've still got an amazingly long time scale over which to measure that attrition. Plus, it'd be hard to pick up new recruits if 90% of them are destined to become mindless automota. The Thousand Sons really need the two-tiered mark system in the current dex to have anything like a realistic representation, and any really thematic Thousand Sons army ought to include some units of Chaos Marines with Icons of Tzeench, to represent the post-Rubric recruits.

chaos0xomega
09-01-2010, 18:05
Even if that's the case, the Rubric Marines would occasionally get totally obliterated - a direct hit from a lascannon would probably be enough, and if it's not, there's definately bigger things out there that would. Suffice it to say, even with a fairly low attrition rate, you've still got an amazingly long time scale over which to measure that attrition. Plus, it'd be hard to pick up new recruits if 90% of them are destined to become mindless automota. The Thousand Sons really need the two-tiered mark system in the current dex to have anything like a realistic representation, and any really thematic Thousand Sons army ought to include some units of Chaos Marines with Icons of Tzeench, to represent the post-Rubric recruits.

Well, if thats the case, its simple. You take a 1"x1"xhowever thick power armor is from each and every rubric marine. Every time they get obliterated, you take a tiny fragment(really tiny, like the size of a grain of sand) from that marine's 1x1xwhatever "donor" fragment, build a new suit of armor, and presto, (nearly) infinite marines.

starlight
09-01-2010, 19:12
Thread Closed...

starlight