PDA

View Full Version : Elites before Troops?

Bathawk
10-01-2010, 00:00
Minor curiosity. But I always wondered why troops are listed after the HQ's and Elites in every codex (with the notable exception of the Space Marines)

Aren't troops your second consideration after an HQ? heck as the one you get up to six choice per army, and the only scoring units, you could even make the argument they should be listed first

since they are "optional" choices, shouldn't elites, along with fast attack and heavy support be listed last?

Archangel_Ruined
10-01-2010, 00:06
It's pedantic, but it's how the FOC is organised. HQ first, elites seconded to the HQ, troops under the HQ's command. It isn't a great reason, but I think it's the best one going.

Gutzmek
10-01-2010, 00:08
as a lover of musing, I would say that it is because they are listed by hierarchy. HQ are the bosses, Elites are the elite troops, and then the Troops make up the bulk of the army. Fast and Heavy come after that because they fulfill support roles(fast is first Because It's Fasta!:D)

starlight
10-01-2010, 00:09
Troops are my *first* consideration...

It's a hold over from the creation of 3rd Ed, when the FOC was introduced and the structure of the books was established...however not all books have kept to it, as seen in at least one of the 5th Ed books...

Inach
10-01-2010, 00:18
As daemon player I have my elite slots filled when thinking of army tactics. The rest of the army is elite support :D
(Fiends need distraction, crushers need flanking support, flamers need... wel nothing just to be in 2nd wave)
For Crons / CSM elites are just some fun stuff to fill the FOC, thus chosing them last.

Veloxnex
10-01-2010, 00:21
For Crons / CSM elites are just some fun stuff to fill the FOC, thus chosing them last.

Immortals make the heart of my phalanx, i'd be lost without them, and i'd put money on a lot of others too

Mannimarco
10-01-2010, 00:33
all depends on the army i was making a list for at the time:

my death guard I just went for my hq choice and as many mech PM units as I could cram in there, no thought for elites fast attack or heavy support

servants of decay I went for elites then hq beofre going for troops

WinglessVT2
10-01-2010, 00:52
Troops come second in the marine book.

Chaplain Ark
10-01-2010, 05:32
Immortals make the heart of my phalanx, i'd be lost without them, and i'd put money on a lot of others too

without a doubt, immortals are essential to any necron force.

But probably the main reason why is the hierarchy thing, where the HQ is in command and is surrounded by elites. then he commands the Troops, etc...

although i usually take elite choices last. the way i see it (besides tanks of course) most people are more afraid of what elites are capable of as opposed to fast attack (which everyone i face seems to think are over ratted, even though they are essential to my victories) and heavy support.

Take SM for example. who is the first squad you would want to take out, a 5 man squad of Terminators with a Assault Cannon, and 5 man squad of Assault Marines, or a 5 man squad of Devastators. for personal experience, the Terminators are the first to be targeted. pretty expenseive for a distraction, but they do the job

Arvendragon
10-01-2010, 05:39
Troops come second in the marine book.

Probably why the Mariens book was noted as an exception.

starlight
10-01-2010, 07:08
*waits for the next one to see...* :)

Chaplain Ark
11-01-2010, 16:28
lets hope they do make it like the marines are now. in most games i dont even get to open up the elite section of my codex