PDA

View Full Version : 1500pts Lizardmen - need advice

Sidorio
09-01-2010, 23:50
So I've just started Lizardmen and have ordered in the Battalion, 1 Box of Skinks and a Stegadon to start me off and this is the list I've come up with using what I'll have. If I could get an idea of how good it is some improvements that could be made that would be great.

Generally I play in a friendly environent and don't need to worry about super cheesy armies so I'm after a more friendly list. Also I'm not a big magic person so I focus more on prenting than using it and would like to keep the list more combat orientated.

Heroes
Saurus Scar-Veteran=163
- Cold One
- Light Armour
- Shield
- Burning Blade of Chotec
- Glyph Necklace

Skink Priest=125
- Level 2
- Diadem of Power

Core
10 Saurus Warriors=138
- Spears
- Musician, Standard Bearer

10 Saurus Warriors=138
- Spears

10 Skink Skirmishers=70

10 Skink Skirmishers=70

10 Skink Skirmishers=80
- Javelin and Shield

Special
6 Cold One Cavalry=265
- Musician, Standard Bear
- Huanchiís Blessed Totem

10 Temple Guard=206
- War Banner

Stegadon=235

Total=1490

All C&C welcome.:D

Thanks

magicmonkey
10-01-2010, 13:04
try putting the scarvet on cold one and putting the saurus together to 1 big unit of 20
and if you can get a skink chief with stegadon warspear for extra impact hits on your stegadon so he can mince most units:skull:

Sidorio
10-01-2010, 20:52
try putting the scarvet on cold one and putting the saurus together to 1 big unit of 20
and if you can get a skink chief with stegadon warspear for extra impact hits on your stegadon so he can mince most units:skull:

Scar-Vets already on a Cold One :D Putting the Suarus together sounds interesting and I'll think about that.

However with the Steg I don't think I want to put a chieftain on it. The thought really hadn't even crossed my mind:p I was considering whether or not to make it an EotG or an Ancient Steg but Skink Chief not so much. I think I'd rather get a skink chief later on with a Terradon and stick him with some Terradon riders.

Bard Harlock
11-01-2010, 02:29
I'd dump the Temple Guard altogether. I'd change the Stegadon to a Priest on the Engine of the Gods. I'd combine the Saurus into one unit, or drop the spears for the +2 armor save from the front as two ranks with spears is probably only going to live to attack back once against hardened units.

I'd add a unit champ to whichever group I was running my Scar-Vet in. That way he can accept challenges and my Scar-Vet can do more damage. Also, if you really want to nullify your opponents magic phase, take a dispel scroll. Also note that on the Engine of the Gods you'll get more dice for casting and dispels.

Sidorio
11-01-2010, 20:56
If you don't mind me asking whats so bad about Temple Guard? I know they work best with a slaan but still to me the still look like a good unit to use in combat.

I've really been considering to make the change from Steggo to putting him on an Engine. With the Saurus I'm more inclined to combine the unit then drop the spears. When I get the next lot of lizards in I'm getting more Saurus so I can have 2 large Spear blocks. On adding a champ to the unit I hadn't though about that as I assumed that they weren't worth it on the CoC but that is a good point about the challenges.

Anyway thanks for the tips so far and if I could get some advice on how competative/useable the list is currently that would be good thanks.

Bard Harlock
11-01-2010, 22:31
I don't mind you asking at all! It's not that they are bad. It's just that they are bad for their cost, unless you are running a Slann. They are five points more than a Saurus Warrior, which is almost 50% more cost wise for only +1WS and +1 I, which is still lousy. Here's a thought, since you are playing with the models you have, a situation to which most of us can relate to at one time or another; field them as Saurus Warriors.

This way you could do a nice big block of 18 (6 files, 3 ranks) of Saurus spears and then run the Temple Guard with the other two Saurus Warriors as a unit of 12 (6 ranks, 2 files) with hand weapons and shields for the +2 save from frontal attacks.

The list is very usable as is versus a good number of armies. Warriors of Chaos and plenty of Elite infantry blocks and knights can put a massive hurt on it, but an Engine of the Gods helps alleviate some of that. Keep the Stegadon on the Saurus flank, or in the middle of the two units if you go that route. It makes a nice hammer and The Burning Alignment might just make a few folks hesitate on bringing a lot of armor in there right away.

At that point, the Cold One Cavalry work well as another hammer to the other Saurus block anvil and the skirmishers get into range as quickly as possible to rain poisoned blowgun death on everything in range and to marchblock and generally harass as much as possible. If they do get caught, try and bring a flank charge in against whatever catches them.

Overall, it's a decent list, just not ideal. Of course, how many ideal lists do you see? Me? I could always use just a few more points for this or that, or a few more models, or more money for those models, or more money for another army... ;P

Sidorio
11-01-2010, 23:16
Thanks for explaining all that to me, it helps. :D

I'm glad to know that it is decent list as that is what I'm after... Ideal would make things perfect but you can't have everything. Also it just so happens that WoC will most likely be my main oponent so beating them would be good.

I'll go over it again and make some changes to it with these considerations in mind. And like you suggested for the mean time I can just use the TG as Saurus with hand weapons/shields.

Sidorio
11-01-2010, 23:32
Okay based on advice I've made some little changes here and there. How is this list compared to the first one?

Heroes
Saurus Scar-Veteran=163
- Cold One
- Light Armour
- Shield
- Glyph Necklace

Skink Priest=415
- Level 2
- Diadem of Power
- Engine of the Gods

Core
18 Saurus Warriors=246
- Spears
- Full Command

12 Saurus Warriors=162
- Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers=70

10 Skink Skirmishers=70

10 Skink Skirmishers=80
- Javelin and Shield

Special
6 Cold One Cavalry=285
- Full Command
- Huanchiís Blessed Totem

Total=1491

Bard Harlock
12-01-2010, 00:10
I like that list a lot. WoC are tough, and their characters are murder, but you should outmagic them at this point level. And, if they take a lot of Knights and hardened infantry you'll find those skinks really rain death on them.

Sidorio
12-01-2010, 01:54
I knew it would be good to have alot of skinks around and am glad you like the list. For the WoC player I know he has knights, 1 unit of warriors and some ogres but other than that he uses softer units with nurgle magic from his sorcerers. What do people think of my item selection for the characters?

Also whilst doing the list above I did a second one with similar changes only instead of the smaller unit of Saurus with hand weapons I made room for a small unit of Temple Guard to act with a similar role. I'd also like some comments on this list. How does this compare to the second one?

Heroes
Saurus Scar-Veteran=163
- Cold One
- Light Armour
- Shield
- Glyph Necklace

Skink Priest=415
- Level 2
- Diadem of Power
- Engine of the Gods

Core
18 Saurus Warriors=246
- Spears
- Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers=70

10 Skink Skirmishers=70

10 Skink Skirmishers=80
- Javelin and Shield

Special
5 Cold One Cavalry=250
- Full Command
- Huanchi’s Blessed Totem

10 Temple Guard=195
- Full Command

Total=1489

Please keep the comments up... hopefully I can test the lists out within the next few days.