PDA

View Full Version : LotR Noob. What to start with?

jay court
10-01-2010, 22:03
Hi. Am thinking of starting an army for LotR, any advice on what I should take as a 1st army?

Not fussed about taking Evil or Good, just want something I can paint up fairly quick & start playing with.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.:cool:

Edonil
10-01-2010, 22:12
LOTR, or WOTR?

jay court
10-01-2010, 22:17
Either. Like the look of WotR & am not put off by big armies. Can I jump straight to WotR
or do I have to learn the LotR rules first?

Edonil
10-01-2010, 23:06
You can jump straight in, which is what I'm doing. Now, as far as WOTR goes- none of the armies are bad. Angmar and Rohan have a more complicated learning curve, but you can truly make a good army out of any of the lists. I'd actually recommend an elite Mordor to get yourself going- focus on Morannon Orcs, grab a Ringwraith and Gothmog, and you have a fairly forgiving army to work with. An example 1000 point list is as follows-

Gothmog- 110
Ringwraith- 125 (I'd suggest the Betrayer, Khamul, or The Dark Marshal)

6 Companies of Morannon Orcs w/shields and Captain- 200
6 Companies of Morannon Orcs w/shields and Captain- 200
6 Companies of Mordor Orcs w/two-handed weapons and Captain- 170
3 Companies of Haradrim w/bows
1 Mordor Troll

The nice thing about the above list is that, short of the characters, you can build all of it out of the plastic kits with a minimum of purchases. Trying to get it higher than that, you'll have to start looking into some more expensive selections involving metals.

IllidanStormrage
11-01-2010, 03:10
I recommend the elves of the last alliance because they're easy to paint and look really good. Also they are very good units. They do cost more than most regular units which means you will be outnumbered when playing someone but they're are good with range, and close combat.

Another suggestion is the army of the dead. Very easy to paint just prime them white then, a green, black, and blue wash. If you want to add a cool theme to it you could put aragorn weather top model in. Hes holding a torch, and it would look very good, with the undead.

Baggers
11-01-2010, 08:39
Depends on what you want to play. Personally I would not bother with WOTR, and play the scenarios from LOTR low model count and a great game.

Steam_Giant
11-01-2010, 10:27
Either. Like the look of WotR & am not put off by big armies. Can I jump straight to WotR
or do I have to learn the LotR rules first?

LotR & WotR are different systems you do not need to know both rulesets to play.

Before you decide which game to play, decide what sort of game you want to play (i.e. movie style skirmishes, Themed ancient battles, Scenario's, random pitched battles) Then find out how many opponants (in either system) there are in your local area.

Good Luck, Have Fun

jaws900
11-01-2010, 17:25
i would recomend playing the SBG(LOTR) first as this game has fiewer modals than WOTR. A tipical 1000pts LOTR army would have about 24-48 orcs. WOTR at the same points would often have 48-150 orcs (And painting orcs is not fun.
* p.s SBG is also better :)

jay court
11-01-2010, 23:15
Thanks for the comments so far, still haven't decided wether to do good or evil.
Probably going for LotR by the sounds of it.