PDA

View Full Version : Based warmachines? How many do this?

Grimstonefire
10-01-2010, 23:33
Just out of curiosity, how many of you base war machines that don't come with one?

Am I unusual for thinking all war machines should be based as it looks nicer?

Toshiro
10-01-2010, 23:37
I prefer mine based :)

Nighthawke
10-01-2010, 23:42
i dont :) but thats maily since none of mine come with bases, if they did i would use them, but then again theres no real need for them to have a base is there?

Razakel
11-01-2010, 00:23
I don't, I plan to eventually, but its not high on my list of priorities.

StarFyreXXX
11-01-2010, 00:31
I base everything, whether it's a living creature model, warmachine or 40k vehicle...looks better that way IMHO.

Sanjay

Stuffburger
11-01-2010, 00:38
I base everything as well. I like to have a little scenery and it also helps clearly define the edges of the model for movement purposes.

Nephilim of Sin
11-01-2010, 00:45
I base them, but I make bases for them. So, I don't actually glue down the war machine to the bases so it can be turned around, etc....

I also try to plan it out to where I can get the most out of the basing, meaning I can switch the crew around with the war machine's directions and such.

It definitely looks better, but it is best not to go overboard, especially in Dwarven Armies where some War Machines can be entrenched.

Urgat
11-01-2010, 00:55
I don't. I tried then people tried all kind of crap ingame like using it for measurements for charging them and stuff (totally illegal but heh). Also it makes placing them on smaller hills or between regiments a pain.
So I removed all the bases.

ChaosVC
11-01-2010, 03:54
Only when I have enuff 50mms

AtmaTheWanderer
11-01-2010, 03:57
I do, and just make it very clear to my opponent that the base is purely for aesthetic purposes, and has no game effect.

Easier to avoid chipped paint when they're based.

Darsc Zacal
11-01-2010, 04:13
I base all my warmachines, mostly just for asthetic reasons. Since I'm more of a collector/painter than a player these days, I'm not too fussed about them causing any ingame problems.

Condottiere
11-01-2010, 05:57
It's tactical deployment that makes me hesitate from placing it on a base, as the base may interfere with the ideal angle for shooting or make it awkward when placing it amongst the scenery.

Anvilbrow
11-01-2010, 06:20
All based on round bases, makes turning to shoot simple and I think bases just look nicer and help unify the entire army.

Lordsaradain
11-01-2010, 07:01
Mine dont have any bases atm. I might add some in the future though, it's not a bad idea.

tarrym
11-01-2010, 07:18
I have based everything that didn't originally come with one (including warmachines). It helps to rule out any odd scenarios where part of a model is fractionally in range of a spell/charge i.e. the very tip of a cannon barrel. With a base there you know exactly what the enemy has to be able to reach.

Shadow Rider
11-01-2010, 10:12
I always base the Warmachines. Makes them fit in with the army nicer. :) Helps them keep in with the Theme of the army.

O&G'sRule
11-01-2010, 22:35
basing them is a good idea, for one reason its usually easier to balance them on hills or scenery when based as the warmachine/artillery piece often has a less than helpful stand, You can also use the base to give it some more strength to the overall structure, rock lobbas an bolt throwers in particular need that.

Avian
11-01-2010, 22:43
I base all of mine, it's so much more convenient when it comes to measuring distances and it works a lot better with my transport system as well. Highly recommended.

Unuhexium
11-01-2010, 23:50
I only have a Hellcannon so far, but it's based and I'll probably continue basing any future warmachines (second Hellcannon anyone? =P). I just like the look of a based model... makes them feel more... complete. That and I have good access to the plaxiglass I make all my custom bases and movement trays from.

Red Metal
12-01-2010, 04:53
I have all of my Dwarf stuff based, which includes a Cannon, Bolt Thrower, OG, and Thorek with Anvil. I just think they look better and I'm OCD about painted minis touching the table. Those tables have gravel and stuff... it hurts my little Cannon wheels...

Sygerrik
12-01-2010, 05:28
I barely have any warmachines, but if I ever pull out my Black Coach again or use a Plagueclaw Catapult or Warplightning Cannon I'll be sure to base them.

snurl
12-01-2010, 08:50
All of mine are based, except for the seige tower.

TheSil
12-01-2010, 09:06
I also always base mine

To clarify, I cut out an appropriately sized piece of cardboard that can hold the machine and all its crew. After covering it with grass/stones it does not only look good but is very convenient for moving the whole unit at once and for all gaming purposes.

I will always equip my warmachines with such a base for so many reasons
An exception are war machines consisting of only one model e.g. the Warp Lightning Cannon... I wanted to make one as well but lacked motivation, so I didn't bother any more when I saw I didn't miss it