PDA

View Full Version : How to use Dragon Ogres

HughbertofKhorne
11-01-2010, 02:52
I'm a huge fan of Dragon Ogres, I love them, ever since I started playing I have been in love with them.

They are however, flimsy.

With only Toughness 4, and a 4+ armour save I find Dragon Ogres too easily taken out by bowfire, and Dark Gods help them if there's artillery on the table.

I personally tend to equip them with greatweapons, field them in units of 3 aqnd behind either the chaos knights or 2 screens of 5 hounds.

My reasoning follows this train of thought.

With average-high leadership and the will of chaos, Chaos armies don't need to fear panic as much as other armies, so I march the Drogres behind a screen (hounds or knights depending on what im facing) as my oponents nearly always deploy at the very edge of the table they end up getting the charge first, the screen flees through the Dragon Ogres (risky I know) and the Dragon Ogres counter charge.

Now with Knights it may seem a bit odd that I'm making them flee through the Drogres but, I tend to play Empire Knights a lot and S7 is a lot better at getting through their armour than S5, my Drogres can rout/destroy them in a turn with average dice rolls, my knights might be there for two or three and if I let the enemy get the charge a lot of the time I'm facing S5 or S6 hits striking me first. Not desirable in the least.

This I've found makes the Drogres a lot more viable, particularly when the Knights rally and both units then begin rolling up the enemies battle line.

What are other people's thoughts on how to use them?

snottlebocket
11-01-2010, 05:28
I just roll them up the flank and come in from the sides. It takes an extra turn but they catch less attention. The center is usually filled with knights and infantry anyway.

The only time I deploy them elsewhere is if I want them directly across a very suitable target like chariots or skaven lightning crap.

sulla
11-01-2010, 05:40
How I deal with dog screens; March right up in front of them... They can charge me, do nothing, lose and give me an overrun into the screened unit, or sit and next turn I charge, beat then and get the overrun into the screened unit which has had an extra turn of artillery and magic pounding. :evilgrin: I'd use marauder horse, rather than dogs. They can get out of that sandwich much easier.

danny-d-b
11-01-2010, 06:12
Dragon ogers are great tin openers, but I've found they need to get the charge, if not the flank charge (against (frenzed) chaos knights/blood knights)

as for supectibity to fire, just give people more things to shoot at (or screen)

I mean I've got dragon ogers, a giant and 5 knights in my army, all who are 'feared' so most people shoot them, however which do you shoot? and consdering screening?

Witchblade
11-01-2010, 14:54
How I deal with dog screens; March right up in front of them... They can charge me, do nothing, lose and give me an overrun into the screened unit, or sit and next turn I charge, beat then and get the overrun into the screened unit which has had an extra turn of artillery and magic pounding. :evilgrin: I'd use marauder horse, rather than dogs. They can get out of that sandwich much easier.
Then your opponent isn't setting up his battle line well. You should get (flank) charged by a support unit or multi-charged by the hounds and the knights.

Also, how do horsemen help in this situation: they get out and let the knights take the hit? Not exactly ideal.

just give people more things to shoot at (or screen)

I mean I've got dragon ogers, a giant and 5 knights in my army, all who are 'feared' so most people shoot them, however which do you shoot? and consdering screening?
This argument is employed very often, yet it's crap. "You have a unit that is prone to missile fire... Buy another one! That way, they can shoot both!" The only thing you might accomplish is target saturation: your opponent spends all his resources on one unit, so that the other one lives. However, this still means that one of these units serves as nothing more than a meat shield - in your case, the giant probably, which is an expensive 'screen'. Plus, your opponent can target each unit with the most efficient resources, e.g. bolt thrower at the drogres, repeater crossbows at the giant and spirit of the forge at the knights. Basically, this tactic comes down to putting yourself at the mercy of your opponent's failure.

PeG
11-01-2010, 18:35
Depending on terrain screening may or may not work. I usually find dog screens just fine. I set the screen up in an angle towards the unit they are screening meaning that any unit that charge them will not be able to overrun into the screened unit and will offer a flank to either the screened unit or to something else.

However hills makes screening difficult and if your group uses a lot of them you need to take that into consideration when writing your list.

Finally my most frequent opponent for the moment seems to be skaven and in that match up being immune to lightning is great when attacking doomwheels etc.

snottlebocket
11-01-2010, 19:42
Then your opponent isn't setting up his battle line well. You should get (flank) charged by a support unit or multi-charged by the hounds and the knights.

Also, how do horsemen help in this situation: they get out and let the knights take the hit? Not exactly ideal.

This argument is employed very often, yet it's crap. "You have a unit that is prone to missile fire... Buy another one! That way, they can shoot both!" The only thing you might accomplish is target saturation: your opponent spends all his resources on one unit, so that the other one lives. However, this still means that one of these units serves as nothing more than a meat shield - in your case, the giant probably, which is an expensive 'screen'. Plus, your opponent can target each unit with the most efficient resources, e.g. bolt thrower at the drogres, repeater crossbows at the giant and spirit of the forge at the knights. Basically, this tactic comes down to putting yourself at the mercy of your opponent's failure.

Things die. That's to be expected and that's why chaos units fight hard enough to make up for the guys that died on the way over.

Obviously it's not smart to march straight into the cannons. But taking a good unit and hoping your screens hold doesn't work nearly as well as taking 4 good units, sprinkling on some light screening and losing some good stuff on the way over.

The thing is, just about anything can kill your screens. But the things able to deal with chaos knights, dragon ogres, chariots and large monsters is a much shorter list. Bring enough targets and they won't be able to keep up.

Target saturation isn't about handing your opponents more units to destroy. It's about providing targets that his light units can't deal with and in greater numbers than his heavy units can deal with.

Giants, knights, dragon ogres, khornate ogres and a host of other fast killy stuff can make turn two or turn three charges. That puts serious pressure on his big guns to bring them down before something makes it across.