PDA

View Full Version : The prolification of the Deathstrike Missile Launcher

Curis
11-01-2010, 07:39
Well, I drew this with the inclusion of the Deathstrike in the latest 40K Guard Codex, and it holds equally true for Epic.

More of these scribbles at Ninjabread (http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/) every Space-Friday.

Netfreakk
11-01-2010, 07:59
Hahaha, I like it. It's so true, what were they thinking.

Kamenwati
11-01-2010, 09:23
Funny and true. The fluff reason to have them on the field is... well maybe they were ambushed? No, that's a bit of a stretch.

Game rules wise was balance, pure and simple. Otherwise it'd probably have to be more expensive if people couldn't shoot at it to kill it.

Lothlanathorian
11-01-2010, 09:30
I lol'd. Is funneh.

Solar_Eclipse
11-01-2010, 09:43
heheh its pretty good.

They added Deathstrikes for...fun.

Remember? Fun?

Eternus
11-01-2010, 09:55
It was definitely added for fun - in the main, it's pretty much better off as a great big objective marker anyway.

polymphus
11-01-2010, 10:25
Pfft. Silly. The reason the deathstrike exists in the codex is thus;

Step 1. Build 3 deathstrike launchers.
Step 2. Grow a fiendish goatee.
Step 3. Buy a white, long furred cat.
Step 4. Have a leather swivel chair installed next to your gaming table.
Step 5. Show them! Show them all!!!

catbarf
11-01-2010, 13:36
The Renegade Militia list allowed the player to purchase off-table artillery strikes. These strikes needed to be called down by an officer or vox-equipped forward observer, and had a tendency to scatter, but could not be prevented short of killing off all potential observers, and the salvo would continue to fall each turn in the same area.

I always thought it made for a more interesting game to let people pay points for such support assets as artillery, minefields, bunkers, and the like. By assigning costs to each defensive asset, you can have a 2,000pt game where one side is outnumbered 2:1 but still have a fair game.

Promethius
11-01-2010, 14:46
Pfft. Silly. The reason the deathstrike exists in the codex is thus;

Step 1. Build 3 deathstrike launchers.
Step 2. Grow a fiendish goatee.
Step 3. Buy a white, long furred cat.
Step 4. Have a leather swivel chair installed next to your gaming table.
Step 5. Show them! Show them all!!!

This is true. Fun is the other main reason, as has already been pointed out. The IG welcome megalomaniacs almost as much as the IN.

Thud
11-01-2010, 14:51
Reminds me of that commissar tank motivational poster. "Take me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!"

Murrithius
11-01-2010, 15:04
I find the fact that you can field more Deathstrikes in 40k than in Epic (limit of 2) rather amusing...

Curis
11-01-2010, 16:41
I find the fact that you can field more Deathstrikes in 40k than in Epic (limit of 2) rather amusing...

I did not know that! That is hilarious.

Griefbringer
11-01-2010, 17:36
The Renegade Militia list allowed the player to purchase off-table artillery strikes.

IG also has off-table support. It is called Master of Ordnance.

Chem-Dog
11-01-2010, 17:40
I love the idea of two IG armies each with a trio of Deathstrikes playing a game of "Who gets to launch first".

I'm gonna have to check out Ninjabread, twice now they made me lol.

PS. I'm pretty sure it's Proliferation.[/pedant]

catbarf
11-01-2010, 17:46
IG also has off-table support. It is called Master of Ordnance.

But that's a model on the table with a special shooting attack. Once he's gone, you lose the support. It might as well be one guy with a giant gun on his shoulder. Off-table artillery from the Vraks list can be called down by any officer or vox-operator in the army, and once targeted each shell lands in a specific area like an actual barrage- it can't be retargeted every turn.

I just think that it would add another element to the game. You can take a giant horde, but an opponent with a smaller army will have access to defensive assets or perhaps intelligence and tactical advantages. What you take to a battle would include not just your army, but how much you've scouted, command and control, intelligence on enemy movements, defenses, air and artillery support, and other advantages. It would be less like a one-off skirmish and more like an actual engagement, part of a larger war.

sigur
11-01-2010, 18:12
Sounds pretty close to the 2nd edition rules for artillery barrages. Would have been a good inclusion and people would start using VOXes.

Col_Festus
11-01-2010, 19:59
Lol 2nd edition artillery barrages from IG's with vox casters was awesome. It was basically an extra basilisk for every vox you had firing from off the table lol.

MasterDecoy
11-01-2010, 23:11
I like the Re-loaded stratigem, On my co-ordinants.

Very fluffy IMO

Ironmonger
11-01-2010, 23:19
Lol 2nd edition artillery barrages from IG's with vox casters was awesome. It was basically an extra basilisk for every vox you had firing from off the table lol.

Yes, that was great: people in my area went from Space Marines to IG very quickly.

jason_sation
12-01-2010, 00:54
I love the idea of two IG armies each with a trio of Deathstrikes playing a game of "Who gets to launch first".

I'm gonna have to check out Ninjabread, twice now they made me lol.

PS. I'm pretty sure it's Proliferation.[/pedant]

You'd need a computer from the 80's with "WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME? Y/N" flashing on the screen nearby.

Orcboy_Phil
12-01-2010, 03:55
Personally I think the best use of a Deathstrike missle in game is to call up another person playing a game and launch it at them. One day I want to go to a tourny and start launching them at other tables.

fall3nang3l
12-01-2010, 04:25
Deathstrikes are like the 75-100 pt magic weapon in fantasy. You would never seriously take them but they are an option for fluff of if youre feeling particularly balsy.

I agree with Orcboy_Phil. I really wanna be like ".... uhhh... ill hit that table over there */point*"

Aitrus
12-01-2010, 04:49
See, I had no intention of ever fielding a Deathstrike Missile in my games. However, the more I think about it, the more afraid I am of not having it when I need it. I can't allow the enemy to get ahead of me in this; I can't allow a Deathstrike Gap to form between myself and the enemy.

I am therefore building 17,653 of them, the first of which should be coming online later this year. We shall never again have to fear, protected behind our shield of Deathstrike missiles.

MajorWesJanson
12-01-2010, 06:51
See, I had no intention of ever fielding a Deathstrike Missile in my games. However, the more I think about it, the more afraid I am of not having it when I need it. I can't allow the enemy to get ahead of me in this; I can't allow a Deathstrike Gap to form between myself and the enemy.

I am therefore building 17,653 of them, the first of which should be coming online later this year. We shall never again have to fear, protected behind our shield of Deathstrike missiles.

The Nids are after our precious bodily fluids!

MegaPope
12-01-2010, 10:10
Just give me the codes now, there's a good chap! ;)

It's just the designers getting the wrong end of the stick about weapons tech again. There are such things as tactical missiles - generally lauched from the backs of trucks or converted tanks (look up 'Honest John' or Frog 7' on Wiki for an example) and the idea has been around since WWII (again, look up something like 'Rheintochter' for more examples).

They're liquid-fuelled weapons with about a ton of high explosives in the nose, meant to be used to attack troop concentrations and reserves just behind the front lines - not even the size of an A4/V2. They get driven into position, fired, and then quickly disappear. Granted, they still generally have a range of at least 50+ miles, but then again, we have the Bassie on the table (whose range is also measured in tens of miles).

In Epic 2ed they were, quite literally, cruise missiles - the weapon, once fired, acted as an entity quite separate from the launcher. You could keep them flying around for several turns if you were confident, although you did run the risk of them running out of fuel and being wasted. A mate of mine used to like launching them, and then having them orbit objectives for a few turns to stop anything too big coming too close.

I'm sure they'll pop up in Apoc at some point carrying Vortex warheads soon...

Jaxell
12-01-2010, 11:05
It's just the designers getting the wrong end of the stick about weapons tech again. There are such things as tactical missiles - generally lauched from the backs of trucks or converted tanks (look up 'Honest John' or Frog 7' on Wiki for an example) and the idea has been around since WWII (again, look up something like 'Rheintochter' for more examples).

I don't think they just messed up on this one. Considering it's even called an intercontinental ballistic missile in its own entry. They must've done it for ***** and giggles.

I know I'm dieing to make one, just to see the looks on my opponents faces. :D

AndrewGPaul
12-01-2010, 11:08
The original Epic ones weren't, IIRC, described as being particularly long-ranged. It was only when Epic 40,000 redesigned it as a baby ICBM on the back of a Chimera that it got a bit confused.

I always liked the Barrage warhead; D6+1 blast templates, excellent for wiping out an entire Eldar Host or Imperial Guard Regiment in one shot. :)

borithan
12-01-2010, 15:09
The current epic rules do slightly irritate me, as the only use they seem to fill is as a Titan killer. They have the Titan Killer rule, you can have 2 maximum, and they have no area of effect, so are going to be spectacularly underwhelming against anything else ("I just wasted my super missiles killing 2 infantry stands!"). Would have been nice if they had provided two modes, one as is for knocking down Titans, and another option which was a more traditional barrage weapon.

silentsmoke
12-01-2010, 16:18
Call me a sucker, I like it so I built one...for my Krieg